Connecting A Router To Tot Adsl.

North

Hello Everyone,

I just arrived in Thailand bringing my laptop computer and a Linksys WRT54GC wireless router, which has been serving me very well in Denmark. Now I would like to connect this equipment to our Internet connection here in Khon Kaen. My wife have a stationary computer connected to ADSL from TOT: 512/256 and currently use a Kingcom ADSL USB modem for the connection.

I would like to use both computers on the Internet via the Linksys router, but it seems that when I connect to Internet via the usb modem, it functions as a " dial up" line giving a username and a password.

Do you think I can use my router for "dialling up" or do I need some other device "in front" of the router ??

THe ADsl USB modem connects to the telephone line via 1 RJ-11 plug, my router have an RJ-45 plug.

Any help appreciated !

North :o

I'm afraid you're going to have to go shopping :o

Your Linksys does not include an ADSL modem, so you need to get one, be sure it has an Ethernet port (not USB).

When you set up the modem, you insert the username and password in the setup, it logs on automatically whenever needed, the user need do nothing further.

Now you may find difficulty getting a modem with ethernet, don't worry, there are loads of cheap 'routers' around that will do the job just fine. Any half decent shop with networking kit will be able to supply no problem.

You can plug your router into the LAN port on your fixed computer to share

the Internet connection. However the main PC will have to be on all the time.

The router will simply be acting as a switch allowing you connect up to 4 pc's via cables,

and additional machines via the wireless side.

Make sure you secure the wireless facility

Thank you for the answers so far.

I guess I knew I would have to buy some extra device for doing the job properly. I know that I can share the Internet connection on the stationary computer, but I think it would be better, if I don't have to switch on two computers for connecting to Internet. The laptop is more power efficient than the stationary, so I can save a little money on electricity and use it for buying the modem.

And about securing the wireless I know this is very important, I use WPA-PSK + I have made a "mac-list" of computers, that can be allowed to access the network.

North :o

ADSL modems with ethernet ports are pretty rare, and you'd have to be sure that the two actually work together. I think you should just go ahead and buy a new wireless ADSL modem/router. They're only around 2,500 baht right now.

If you want to use wireless and save a few baht, you can buy a standard 'wired' ADSL modem/router and connect your old wireless router to it to get the wireless features. You'll also be much more secure when using the internet through a router than when using a modem, as long as that wireless connection is locked down tight!

Ok, thank you again for your inputs.

I will be looking for a ADSL modem with an RJ-45 output or eventually a standard ADSL modem/router, but until I find one I have decided to share the Internet connection on our stationary computer, and it works fine that way. I just connected the uplink port on the router to the network connection on the stationary pc, and it worked at once, - writing this message on my laptop. :o

North :D