Thailand's DCA plans to expand regional airports

webfact

DCA plans to expand regional airports

BANGKOK, 6 May 2014, (NNT) - The Department of Civil Aviation (DCA) plans to invest a billion baht in upgrading the old and constructing new regional airports under its supervision, as part of its preparation for the expansion of domestic routes after the formation of the ASEAN Economic Community next year.

In particular, Mr. Seree Jitsopha, Deputy Director General of the DCA, said his agency would develop Mae Sod Airport as a gateway between the kingdom and neighboring Myanmar, saying the airport’s runway would be expanded from 1,600 meters to 2,100 meters. He said the DCA would spend 200 million baht to acquire land to build the airport’s temporary passenger lounge, boosting the capacity from 150 passengers to 250 passengers per hour.

Mr. Seree said next year the DCA would request another 320 million baht budget to construct a permanent lounge, enabling the Mae Sod Airport to receive a total of 350 passengers per hour. The airport is currently welcoming 100,000 travelers annually, and handling 10 flights daily.

He said the DCA also plans to invest 225 million baht to expand Nakhon Si Thammarat Airport, doubling the airport’s capacity to handle aircraft from the current 3 to 6. The Deputy Director General, reports that the department has also purchased 920 rai of land worth 250 million baht as it plans to construct an airport in Betong District of Yala Province, adding that the passenger terminal would be erected and the runway developed once it receives the necessary budget next year.

The department expects 100,000 passengers would visit the airport per year.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-05-06 footer_n.gif

About 10 years ago they made the Surat Thani Airport bigger and to an International Airport with a domestic gate and an international gate.

Only last year there was an international route - to Kuala Lumpur for 3-4 month only.

Since then again nothing international.

Routes are only Surat-Bangkok and

three times a week Surat-Hatyai with Lyon Air.

Who made profit from expanding this fake International Airport?

Edited by Mentors

Thailand has over 50 airports with IATA codes. Can you imagine the Thais upgrading security for these airports? Or security in general for AEC? Maybe we can expect a few Thai official "slapping" incidents on airport security checkpoint videos because the Malaysian or Filipino staff didn't recognize the Thai Mr. Bigs.

About 10 years ago they made the Surat Thani Airport bigger and to an International Airport with a domestic gate and an international gate.

Only last year there was an international route - to Kuala Lumpur for 3-4 month only.

Perhaps a few winter charter-flights from Scandinavia ?

IMO Surat has always had the potential, for international-routes bringing tourists to Koh Samui, who don't want to pay Bangkok Airways' rather-high prices.

With Air Asia & now Lion Air expanding rapidly, these international-routes may eventually happen, one can only live-in-hope ! smile.png

And Air Asia do currently fly daily from K.L., according to the arrivals/departures. http://www.suratthaniairport.com/flight-status-arrivals-departures

• Like 1

Perhaps a few winter charter-flights from Scandinavia ?

IMO Surat has always had the potential, for international-routes bringing tourists to Koh Samui, who don't want to pay Bangkok Airways' rather-high prices.

With Air Asia & now Lion Air expanding rapidly, these international-routes may eventually happen, one can only live-in-hope ! smile.png

And Air Asia do currently fly daily from K.L., according to the arrivals/departures. http://www.suratthaniairport.com/flight-status-arrivals-departures

Last year while waiting for my THAI flight from Kunming to Bangkok I noticed there was a charter flight from Kunming to Surat Thani. I thought it was strange, but it was definitely on the board.

• Like 1

Surin airport was renovated, Nok Air said that they would start service last November, then nothing... No reason to upgrade an airport without a commitment from the carriers to use it -- other than to steal the usual 30%.

• Like 1

Be nice to have 1 or 2 milk runs a week between Don M and CM, stopping at Korat and KK - although KK is already serviced. We were considering KK for a while even though it's further North, but has that airport link.

My understanding is the Korat airport was a bust because of its location, and I guess people would rather pay 400 baht and sit on a bus for 3* hours to reach BKK.

Korat continues to grow and it's not just farmers. Be interesting to knock up a terminal on the large Air Force Base near the city, and do some trial flights from there vs. the ex-airport. I would rather fly than take a bus/taxi to BKK, or drive down and leave my car parked long term at DM.

Well an airport in mukdahan would be nice , heard they planned to fix the old nikhom khamsoi one

But guess its just wishfull thinking

Didnt know there was anything near nikhom, agree this area is a pain to go to and from, i usually go in via ubon and out via savanahket, expensive pain in the behind.

Well an airport in mukdahan would be nice , heard they planned to fix the old nikhom khamsoi one

But guess its just wishfull thinking

Didnt know there was anything near nikhom, agree this area is a pain to go to and from, i usually go in via ubon and out via savanahket, expensive pain in the behind.
Yep its an old army landingstrip

But they want to make a trainstation also in mukhdahan