Good Moto-cy Mechanic Wanted - Rawai

JetsetBkk

I've being trying to get my Yamaha Nouvo going after leaving it for over a year. Engine turns over OK but never fires, probably flooded. It never did start very easily.

Need a mechanic to come and sort it out.

Any good mechanics in Rawai area?

2 good ones that I know.
One is the shop across from the seashell museum (maybe slightly down towards the beach on the opposite side of Visit Rd.)

The other is the shop directly across the same street from the local market that is on Sundays and I believe Wednesdays (I'm sure about Sundays but not which other day the market is at that place)
I've had work done at both these shops and would recommend either one.
They won't rip you off.

Personally, I'd try changing the gas and then spark plug first.

• Like 1

2 good ones that I know.

One is the shop across from the seashell museum (maybe slightly down towards the beach on the opposite side of Visit Rd.)

The other is the shop directly across the same street from the local market that is on Sundays and I believe Wednesdays (I'm sure about Sundays but not which other day the market is at that place)

They won't rip you off.

The second one is the same one NKL mentioned. I can also recommend this shop, not the cheapest but IMO better than the others I tried in the area. Market is on Sundays and Wednesdays BTW.

• Like 1

Bike shop on Viset rd about opposite soi namjai are good you can push your bike to it

or ask them if they will do a home visit

2 good ones that I know.

They won't rip you off.

2 good ones that I know.

They won't rip you off.

The second one is the same one NKL mentioned. I can also recommend this shop, not the cheapest but IMO better than the others I tried in the area. Market is on Sundays and Wednesdays BTW.

Thanks very much all!

I didn't know there was one opposite Soi Namjai - that would be very handy for me. It's amazing what you don't see when you drive a pick-up all the time.

If I had a manual in English, I might well change the plug myself. In the past I've removed the engine from cars, changed head gaskets and replaced valves in a side-valve engine biggrin.png , but I'm more of a "pay 'em some cash and let 'em fix it" sort of person now!

I'd also like to get the mixture adjusted when it is "cold". It never started easily, so I've always thought the automatic choke (if it has one) is set wrong. Or maybe change the spark plug gap to about 10 thou instead of 25 - that's what I did about 45 years ago on a Lambretta scooter that was hard to start. smile.png

Had the same problem with the wife's Nouvo. Lack of use, fuel deposits gum up the carb (it is actually mentioned in the user manual, which you can D/L in English online). The first time I took it to a mech, he charged B1500 (!) and only changed the air filter and spark plug. Wife didn't use it for a few days and then again couldn't start it. Took it to a different mechanic, he cleaned the carb and it hasn't missed a beat since (B200). Make sure you ask the mechanic to clean the carb - otherwise you may be paying more than one visit. (Tried to attach the manual, but it wouldn't upload.)

Provbably only cost you about 200 baht for the mechanic to do the job plus parts

Had the same problem with the wife's Nouvo. Lack of use, fuel deposits gum up the carb (it is actually mentioned in the user manual, which you can D/L in English online). The first time I took it to a mech, he charged B1500 (!) and only changed the air filter and spark plug. Wife didn't use it for a few days and then again couldn't start it. Took it to a different mechanic, he cleaned the carb and it hasn't missed a beat since (B200). Make sure you ask the mechanic to clean the carb - otherwise you may be paying more than one visit. (Tried to attach the manual, but it wouldn't upload.)

Thanks for the info, guys. I did actually wonder about the carb getting gummed up as I noticed that my plastic petrol can was completely empty, but remember that there was some in it (about a year ago!)

So I checked the tank, and it still had fuel in it, but I wondered if the petrol in the carb my have been drying out over time and leaving a deposit. I filled it right up with fresh 91 gasohol, but it still didn't start - not a cough or splutter.

So I will ask the guy to check the carb.

I would think that after it gets going, taking it for a long run should help clean it out - i.e. dissolve any crap in the carb. Any thoughts on that?

Provbably only cost you about 200 baht for the mechanic to do the job plus parts

Thanks for the info, guys. I did actually wonder about the carb getting gummed up as I noticed that my plastic petrol can was completely empty, but remember that there was some in it (about a year ago!)

So I checked the tank, and it still had fuel in it, but I wondered if the petrol in the carb my have been drying out over time and leaving a deposit. I filled it right up with fresh 91 gasohol, but it still didn't start - not a cough or splutter.

So I will ask the guy to check the carb.

I would think that after it gets going, taking it for a long run should help clean it out - i.e. dissolve any crap in the carb. Any thoughts on that?

We buy unleaded fuel from the PPT garage in chalong i fill a fuel container up when fueling the pickup

Dont use gasohole any more because of fuel problems, the good fuel is not that expensive

Home Pro Chalong sell fuel containers, top RH corner near the lawnmowers

Edited by nedkellylives

We buy unleaded fuel from the PPT garage in chalong i fill a fuel container up when fueling the pickup

Dont use gasohole any more because of fuel problems, the good fuel is not that expensive

That's what I used to do when I drove the bike regularly - fill up a plastic petrol can when I filled up the pickup.

I've always been unsure about which fuel to use and avoided using 91 gasohol while benzine was still available. But it's not any more, so have to use 91 gasohol.

What's this unleaded fuel you get at the PPT (PTT?) station? Is it 91 gasohol?

That's what I used to do when I drove the bike regularly - fill up a plastic petrol can when I filled up the pickup.

I've always been unsure about which fuel to use and avoided using 91 gasohol while benzine was still available. But it's not any more, so have to use 91 gasohol.

I think Ned is talking about the 95 benzine (yellow pump). I buy that for my car that does not like gasohol or even 91 octane. It's about 50 baht/litre. Hard to find. Nearest for me is PTT near Wat Chalong and Caltex in Kathu. PTT in Kata not have. Shell not have. Esso Patong not have.

I think Ned is talking about the 95 benzine (yellow pump). I buy that for my car that does not like gasohol or even 91 octane. It's about 50 baht/litre. Hard to find. Nearest for me is PTT near Wat Chalong and Caltex in Kathu. PTT in Kata not have. Shell not have. Esso Patong not have.

Correct the yellow pump is 95 benzine/unleaded petrol still avaliable at ppt chalong today 47 baht a litre

correct fuel for most bikes even most of the new ones which used 91 benzine which is not avaliable anymore in Thailand

Correct the yellow pump is 95 benzine/unleaded petrol still avaliable at ppt chalong today 47 baht a litre

correct fuel for most bikes even most of the new ones which used 91 benzine which is not avaliable anymore in Thailand

Thanks guys - much appreciated.

All gasoline in Thailand is unleaded. The Yellow 95 Octane is the only gasoline that has no alcohol added.

Thanks - it's been well over a year since I used my bike and I didn't really understand then what the h3ll was going on with all these variants of benzine and gasohol and octane ratings.

Diesel is so much easier..

Edited by JetsetBkk

Probably only cost you about 200 baht for the mechanic to do the job plus parts

Close - 260 baht! Unbelievable - it now starts OK (twice from "cold", i.e. 30 degrees in the morning) and the automatic choke works fine. The guy who came to look at it straight away said "carburettor" and said he'd clean it.

I also got them to do the annual inspection, as it is now 5 years old, and that cost a phenomenal 80 baht. smile.png

Here's the shop's card:

post-35489-0-65517000-1400691469_thumb.j post-35489-0-74163400-1400691944_thumb.j