Anyone lived in Tenerife on this forum?

I lived in thailand 7 years and i have been going to Spain since 30.

Pros of south of Spain (Alicante): it's in Europe, weather is amazing (can wear t-shirt 365 days a year), winter is more chill of course and you will need pants and jacket at night time but again its nice to be well dress too when going to restaurant. At least i like it. Spain is very cheap nowadays and cheaper than Thailand for many things such as fantastic meat, dairy products, wine (amazing wine in a store for 4 or 5 euros a bottle). Bars and restaurant are cheaper than farang restaurants in THailand. Beer is cheaper (just found a bar last week selling 50 cents of euro for a pint, its 40 bahts!!!!). Spain has a nice cultural heritage, many modern museums, art galleries, beautiful beaches. People are quite nice. Everything works quite well. Spanish is a nice language, easy to learn. Easy access from anywhere in Europe thanx to dozen of low cost airlines.

Cons: in some areas, summer can be over-crowded of tourists but that's the time of the year when i visit Thailand :) No other cons really.

Now, one cannot compare Thailand with Spain. I still am of the opinion that most of males who retire to Thailand do it for ONE thing primarily. The other ones are because it is cheap, everyone has a plastered smile,and because they feel somewhat superior. Spain a REAL country, with real RICH history, with intelligent and passionate people, with incredible diversity (cultural, landscape, food). Take the cost and the OTHER reason out of the equation and All of you would be there in a snap!

We can totally compare and its the OP´s topic to compare both countries. Its very true that for 90% of guys who retire in thailand its for the "chicas" but you would be surprise how many ´gentlemen clubs ´ are in Spain providing very good services at cheaper rates than Bangkok. Its true that the girly bar are the only missing part in Spain. Regarding your comment about the COST, Spain (Alicante) is cheaper than Phuket or and Bangkok.

• Like 1

I lived in thailand 7 years and i have been going to Spain since 30.

Pros of south of Spain (Alicante): it's in Europe, weather is amazing (can wear t-shirt 365 days a year), winter is more chill of course and you will need pants and jacket at night time but again its nice to be well dress too when going to restaurant. At least i like it. Spain is very cheap nowadays and cheaper than Thailand for many things such as fantastic meat, dairy products, wine (amazing wine in a store for 4 or 5 euros a bottle). Bars and restaurant are cheaper than farang restaurants in THailand. Beer is cheaper (just found a bar last week selling 50 cents of euro for a pint, its 40 bahts!!!!). Spain has a nice cultural heritage, many modern museums, art galleries, beautiful beaches. People are quite nice. Everything works quite well. Spanish is a nice language, easy to learn. Easy access from anywhere in Europe thanx to dozen of low cost airlines.

Cons: in some areas, summer can be over-crowded of tourists but that's the time of the year when i visit Thailand smile.png No other cons really.

Now, one cannot compare Thailand with Spain. I still am of the opinion that most of males who retire to Thailand do it for ONE thing primarily. The other ones are because it is cheap, everyone has a plastered smile,and because they feel somewhat superior. Spain a REAL country, with real RICH history, with intelligent and passionate people, with incredible diversity (cultural, landscape, food). Take the cost and the OTHER reason out of the equation and All of you would be there in a snap!

We can totally compare and its the OP´s topic to compare both countries. Its very true that for 90% of guys who retire in thailand its for the "chicas" but you would be surprise how many ´gentlemen clubs ´ are in Spain providing very good services at cheaper rates than Bangkok. Its true that the girly bar are the only missing part in Spain. Regarding your comment about the COST, Spain (Alicante) is cheaper than Phuket or and Bangkok.

Shhh, the Gentleman's Clubs are a secret, also that it is cheaper.....

If you tell this secret, everyone will come and spoil it.....

Depending on where you are in Spain, the price of a beer or a glass of wine would also include the tappa!

I am clear as to these countries taxing pensioners - especially Spain and Portugal.

What about the UK?

They have always levied taxes on pensions, I pay UK tax but live in Spain/Thailand, go figure!

I am clear as to these countries taxing pensioners - especially Spain and Portugal.

What about the UK?

They have always levied taxes on pensions, I pay UK tax but live in Spain/Thailand, go figure!

Until the tax authorities enquire about your worldwide assets ,tax you on that,then leave you fighting them in court for 20 years on double taxation rulings.

Think rosy coloured glasses are the norm here.Spain is a lot more expensive than Thailand,calling/internet/tv/water/ electric(that costs)

did my home on it and yes the Canaries will feel like a prison in time.

Comparing chalk and cheese really,Spain is more insular,come nightime up the drawbridge shut the window shutters & dream about tomorrow

the ex-pats are a happy bunch (not)

Blog sites there too,try on-line publication Spain Buddy,a new magazine,few more too,get some ideas where to live. Alicante area housing is akin to a mouthful of rotting teeth,utterly miles of newly constructed developments rotting away,nobody wanting to live there and if they are, trying desperately to sell

Yes good points to Spain too,is it at least 2 years to obtain work visa for Thai wife?,booze in supermarkets cheap,but I am not a boozer in the house,bingo most nights,hustlers galore and I mean galore. One thing if the UK leaves the EU what happens then? visa situation again,no free meds

Owning a house especially in Adalucia region is a nightmare,the regional govt. are as bad as any Junta. Anyway read about it from the long time ex pats there in the on line publications,long time residents there are attempting to sell their houses ,not to leave Spain ,but to start renting as general consensus is prices are going south for a considerable amount of time yet

• Like 1

I've been to Tenerife,2 weeks was enough,can't think of of any reason to return.

I am an English guy,I've lived in Shanghai for 10 years,every year I think,should I move on,but am blissfully happy here,that's my half pence worth.

I lived and worked in Tenerife for 10 yrs the north that is the best years of my life.

Lets focus on the OP question, it hardly get 4 degrees celsius at Tenerife. Tenerife is know about its nice climate.

Living in Thailand now for the 5th year but always have thought about Spain as a next destination to live and especially Tenerife.

Tenerife doesnt have VAT, the drinks and smokes are quite cheap. Especially if you compare it with the prices back in the UK and Western Europe. If you gonna stay at Playa Americana's of course you gonna be ripped off, its the same if you gonna stay at Bangla Road in Patong, Walking Street in Pattaya or Sukhumvit area in BKK. You can get really lovely food for more then decent prices at Tenerife. Especially the Spanish BBQ places are really nice, compare it with a Korean BBQ but then real good meat, t bone steaks,ribs, everything for cheap prices again.

To buy or rent a house is doable as well, cant rent a house for 10k baht inthere but for 25k you can a decent house. I love the scenery as well and Tenerife is quite big and have 2 airports. Cant really compare it with Phuket as I believe its bigger.

Will go there myself again later this month for a couple of days but I have to say, I am always happy to go back to Thailand :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Lived in Tenerife, for 2 years, really enjoyed, lot better of Italy for many things,here life is too different to compare, I dont think is expensive,lots of stuff was very cheap, petrol and cigs at example, rent are not too cheap too, loved Puerto de La Cruz, spanish people are great, but are latino like me so we get well togheter.

Had good time there, but one day went to Asia,and havent been back to Europe yet,but sometime with my wife we are thinking to go to livethere, would be great for my daughter school, school would compare to expensive private school here, but free, as hospital, etc. etc.

• 5 years later...

Have you guys been to Tenerife in Canary Islands? Me and and my mates is planning to go there to spend the holidays. I've been reading some article about this island Click me but i was wondering if there are some good local bars where we can enjoy a nice cold beer. Anyone of you guys been here? Any advice you can give? Thanks!

• Like 1