7 Chiang Rai districts named disaster zones

webfact

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

If they would have a decent building code Like the one we have in North Queensland Australia (one must built to a certain building standard to withstand category 5/6 Cyclones)Otherwise the government inspectors will not pass the building. Than there would be a lot less damage here from Earth Quakes and Big Storms !

I'm afraid that is a long way off in Thailand and about 75% of the planet. I really wish people wouldn't compare with their home countries.

Why not? Don't you want Thailand to improve? Not that the peeps here are forward thinking enough to make the necessary changes. Life is cheap in Thailand as it is in China.

There's really two ways to look at it.

1. Either Thailand is special in the world and should not be compared with anywhere else.

2. Thailand is just another country and should be gauged against other nations.

I don't mind either view, what drives me mental is when people switch between them as it suites.

Example: 'this is Thailand' when comparing building codes, but 'hey look at alcohol taxes in Norway' when comparing that.

Myself, I'm partial to #1.

So yeah, stuff falls down. No ones fault.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

If they would have a decent building code Like the one we have in North Queensland Australia (one must built to a certain building standard to withstand category 5/6 Cyclones)Otherwise the government inspectors will not pass the building. Than there would be a lot less damage here from Earth Quakes and Big Storms !

I'm afraid that is a long way off in Thailand and about 75% of the planet. I really wish people wouldn't compare with their home countries.

Why not? Don't you want Thailand to improve? Not that the peeps here are forward thinking enough to make the necessary changes. Life is cheap in Thailand as it is in China.

1. Either Thailand is special in the world and should not be compared with anywhere else.

I don't mind either view, what drives me mental is when people switch between them as it suites.

Example: 'this is Thailand' when comparing building codes, but 'hey look at alcohol taxes in Norway' when comparing that.

Edit: Sorry mod for the massive multiple post. Please correct.

Edited by BudRight

In order to have building codes one would need inspectors.

In order to have inspectors one would need some intelligence.

Need I say more?

you forgot to add training and a capacity to avoid bribes, and punctuality so that they are on site when concrete is being poured into footings, etc.... whistling.gif

This country is proud that it was never colonised, but the government officials need to get out of their wonderful white ice cream suits and insist on decent standards.

Just like Oz eh,where everything is overregulated and govt taxs,levys have priced out the youth of OZ of even thinki g of buy a house.Check ICAC on bribes to govt.ministers in Oz,plenty caught and more to come,on both sides of politics.At least Thai officials can claim low wages,not so the greedy,immoral Australian officals.Lower than a snakes belly.

• Like 1

Need I say more?

The issue is more about a lack of education than intelligence, per se (which is an insensitive and inflammatory statement, and insulting). Many many Thai youngsters (like my wife at school age) cannot have the opportunity to better themselves, because their parents are poor and cannot afford to put them through school past third grade, let alone college. This is an example of the reality outside Bangkok and other wealthier areas.

Before any cultural and social behavioural change can occur in Thailand, the government must put affordable and subsidised education at the top of their priorities. Nevertheless even if it began today, it will take decades to eradicate the anti-social and corrupt practices that are commonplace.

I am very old or dead by then, so I'll supervise and manage everything around me as long as I am alive.

Thai's love to say som-nam-nah to everyone they think deserves what just happened to them. Never mind the facts, the truth or the future ramifications. This perhaps is why so many on Thaivisa genuinely love Thailand. So, in the spirit of all that is wrong and right with ol'Siam I say SOM-NAM-NAH Thailand! Good day.

• Like 1

I am sure all the residential skyscrapers in Bangkok will be built to the highest international standards of safety in mind and capable to withstand any earthquake.

I've been here long enough to seriously doubt that.w00t.gif

Need I say more?

The issue is more about a lack of education than intelligence, per se (which is an insensitive and inflammatory statement, and insulting). Many many Thai youngsters (like my wife at school age) cannot have the opportunity to better themselves, because their parents are poor and cannot afford to put them through school past third grade, let alone college. This is an example of the reality outside Bangkok and other wealthier areas.

Before any cultural and social behavioural change can occur in Thailand, the government must put affordable and subsidised education at the top of their priorities. Nevertheless even if it began today, it will take decades to eradicate the anti-social and corrupt practices that are commonplace.

If you say so. It is what it is. I just had to ride my motorbike across 6 electric wires left in the street to get to my house. The only reason I did it was a biker went before me and didn't get electrocuted. If you need education to do the "intelligent" thing all is lost. If I wanted to sugar coat it I could say and have said they have no common sense here either. There is not enough room on this site to list all the dumb ash things Thais do. Education is surely part of it but when you park your motorbike or car next to or in front of mine so I can't get out your are an idiot.

I was not refering to the youngsters who don't have the opportunity to go to school.I was obviously refering to those in positions of oversight who don't have a clue what they are doing and who I "assume" went to school.God forbid you are suggesting you don't even need an education to become a building or electrical inspector in Thailand.That is assuming they even have any. It is what it is here, pure insanity. And fyi, Yingluck is out. The beat goes on in the land of the smartest people in Asia.

Edited by SCARLETIBIS1

You can say that again ;-)

Need I say more?

yep, you could add that a large brown envelope will nullify any building codes and the buildings would go up regardless.....

Need I say more?

And.. when inspectors with some intelligence come to inspect the designs, static construction calculation ( never a Thai heard about that ), of even at the sport, when built... a handfull of Thai Baht paper makes walls of 4 cm thick enough again....

I never forget a house in the same soi as where a business friend's parents live, Soi 13 Ram Intra road, Bangkhen- BKK: they added a second floor on top of the one-floor house and.. in the middle of the night it collapsed. All sleeping in were crushed.

I saw another house being built there and looked at the construction: never I will put one foot inside that house. A passing mouse could cause it to collapse.

We've just had numerous articles comparing earth quakes in 'Merica with here, and now you're criticising someone for pointing out that Thai houses are not built to take strong winds and storms.

Be reasonable. Distance has nothing at all to do with it. Thailand has more than its fair share of sudden strong winds, and as Doc46 was pointing out, buildings in most of this country are not equipped to handle this.

To abide in Thailand certainly requires an ironic sense of humor couched firmly in the foreknowledge of sudden and impending doom. It's just the way things are here. I believe the Thai's call it wasana. I call it just another day in paradise. Good day!

No pictures of a White Temple????

There was a picture of a slightly bent white temple in one of the news reports on these pages yesterday.

Looks like the damage at the White Temple was large because all the small and elaborated pieces of art on it. Looks also that murals were badly damaged. Probably will be very expensive to repair. The owner was on the news talking about total loss. A new temple by our house was damaged, and many other temples around. Temples tiled roof are not suited for strong tremors. Very sad.

I know this is a bit off subject but I've never heard of a category 6 hurricane (with climate change possible?) and my understanding is it is really impossible to built a cat 5 safe house. Maybe Australia has a different rating system? I grew up in hurricane country, have been through a bunch, including Rita (lost my apartment) and Ike (the storm surge never got to us). I've watched the houses built here in our subdivision, and been up in the attic of my own, wouldn't last during a thunderstorm where I grew up, much less a hurricane. Sure looks good though...lol.

Need I say more?

Yes, the new Kubota machinery means a lot less "hands on" work with the rice. We don't need "Epsilon Idiots", from "Brave new world". It would be very nice if somebody could figure out a way to elevate the masses without crushing nature under the heal of industrialization, though. (ala China.)

Edited by Longtooth

Need I say more?

Yes, the new Kubota machinery means a lot less "hands on" work with the rice. We don't need "Epsilon Idiots", from "Brave new world". It would be very nice if somebody could figure out a way to elevate the masses without crushing nature under the heal of industrialization, though. (ala China.)

Well, perhaps common sense then is something that needs to be taught if it isn't inherent. So may I suggest in Common Sense 101 you teach them that when you park your motorbike in front of and in back of my car it is impossible for me to get out. Or when you park your motorbike on top of my motorbike and the idiot next to me does the same thing I can't even stand the bike up. Others may have some other common sense advice. I do think however, by the time one is old enough to ride a bike vs be a passenger on one empiracal knowledge should take over.

Edited by SCARLETIBIS1

Agree 100%.

I can see my neighbours roofing panels nailed on just waiting for a strong wind to send it flying.

If places were insulated, they'd also be a lot more comfortable. Electrical standards are so poor.

There are electric standards here???

Well, perhaps common sense then is something that needs to be taught if it isn't inherent. So may I suggest in Common Sense 101 you teach them that when you park your motorbike in front of and in back of my car it is impossible for me to get out. Or when you park your motorbike on top of my motorbike and the idiot next to me does the same thing I can't even stand the bike up. Others may have some other common sense advice. I do think however, by the time one is old enough to ride a bike vs be a passenger on one empiracal knowledge should take over.

Edited by SCARLETIBIS1, Yesterday, 20:12 .

Again, cultural behaviour is that neither parents or teachers educate children to take responsibility (as if) and not to 'just do as I please' like everyone else. Common sense doesn't even appear on the radar, nor does reasoning work. My Thai wife likes the phrase - Brain in Dick

It doesn't mean that they lack intelligence, common-sense or whatever, but don't use it because that's how it is and has always been.