Farm gate, wholesale, and retail prices

what pineapples,,??

have i missed something,,,,,

its the same with the pig job,,,

we make money for the simple reason that we get our piglets cheap,

saying that we went and got 40 last monday and the lady said gone up,,, they were 1000bht each,, first time in over 2 years they have gone up,,

but it took me some time to get my contacts, noy only for buying our piglets in, but also for selling them at 100kg, the last thing you want is to be stuck with 40 100kilo pigs,,lol

it all takes time, i fell lucky, we befriended a lady whos husband had left her, she is still a friend to this day and now she works for the government, lung her name as helped us no end,,

she put us onto our vet,

introduced us to our pig lady,

its all about contacts,,

jake

• Like 2

You shouldn't have that kind of a contradicting pessimistic thoughts.

There is an established system we call it - queue. Seasoned farmers/investors know and are inform by wholesalers when to line up our produce/product accordingly. From experience we learn and got to know how the trade system works.

Edited by RedBullHorn

Harvest quantity are usually agreed upon and sometime documentary binded on phases and time period if it is on large scale base on tonnage...and are honored upon especially with reputable company/ conglomerate.

Edited by RedBullHorn

Sure on a small scale but try selling 50 tons of ripening pineapple in a hurry.

You gotta have a large company buying and they will screw you on the price.

What does 50 ton of pineapple have to do with my post. If you got 50 tons of anything you will have it pre sold and at a low farm gate price. My examples are not for the large corporate operations, but for the small country farmer. The most jujube I sold in one day (we picked every 2-3 days) was about 500 kg total of 2 different varieties. It was probably about the same for the eggplant and we probably picked every 3 days on average. My post was just to let people know there are a lot of different prices and selling options and they are all different depending on product, location, time of year, and a dozen other factors.

• Like 2

There are always more than one way to skin a cat,

For instance RBH does intensive fish farming,growing high numbers of fish to market size in the shortest possible time by using high quality food and good technique.That way he gets multiple crops per annum.

We go the other way and grow one annual crop of fish to market size feeding only supplemental feeds.and maximise our profits with direct public sales.

BUT... If we chose to we could grow two crops per annum ,selling to the wholesale market at a much lower unit price ,unit costs being higher because of feeding higher quality feed {and more of it} but income averages about the same IE.method 1=20,000kg @direct sales margin versus 40,000 kg @wholesale price .

The annual bottom line comes out roughly the same.

The main difference in the alternate methods is that intensive growing requires far more work and care in maintaining water quality.

And for the naysayers,as RBH says,it is possible to nett 1mill baht from 5 rai.

• Like 1

ozzy,,

its the same with most farming, as you know,

we feed top quality feed to our pigs, ready for market in 4 to 4.5 months old,

now take the thai farmer with a couple in the back yard,(oigs that is) he feeds ram at 6 to 7 bht kilo, but it takes him 9 to 10 months to get to market,

we feed top quality and it works out say at 14bht kilo, not a lot of difference there,, as it only takes us 4 to 4.5 moths to mkt,

but if you do the maths it not to far of the same, give or take a bht,,lol

jake

• Like 1

ozzy,,

its the same with most farming, as you know,

we feed top quality feed to our pigs, ready for market in 4 to 4.5 months old,

now take the thai farmer with a couple in the back yard,(oigs that is) he feeds ram at 6 to 7 bht kilo, but it takes him 9 to 10 months to get to market,

we feed top quality and it works out say at 14bht kilo, not a lot of difference there,, as it only takes us 4 to 4.5 moths to mkt,

but if you do the maths it not to far of the same, give or take a bht,,lol

jake

"he feeds ram at 6 to 7 bht kilo,"

Where can you get male goats for that price?? biggrin.png

Sorry, I know that you mean rice bran, but maybe not everyone who reads this will know.

Edited by loong
  • Like 2

As for my Clarias, i need to fulfill my quota, or i will lose out on my spot/queue. There is a window period like in the piggery industry to get the good price according to seasonal supply and demand. To ride with the tides...

It is not just wholesale prices I'm taking about here in regards to my trade and it is the same with some other produce/product... but I also need to emphasize on target market.

In Clarias catfish farming, obtaining the right sizes per kilogram is crucial...and it must be decided on the ability of my wholesalers to accept them base on the sizes they are comfortable with. They too understand the importance of the phrase "Pond owners can survive, we wholesalers can survive". Market cater to different sizes. For example, Mae Hong Son consumers like their Pla Duk in sizes Jumbo/2/3 fishes per kilo. Amphur Theong and Muang Chiang Rai like theirs in sizes 4/5/6 fishes per kilo, tambon Ban Mai like theirs 2/3/4 fishes per kilo and Amphur Mae Sai accept theirs in sizes 3/4/5/6 fishes per kilo. So i need to cater to them all from Jumbo/2/3/4/5/6 fishes per kilo. I get my sales base on my yield and they get their sizes to sell to their retailers.

It is more hectic in Pla Duk farming i must admit because i need to pay attention to the supply and demand of different seasons, I will farm max output on the 1st season, 80% of my total output or divide into batches for the raining season so that i don't get struck in the queue and then max out again on the cold season.

Hectic in another form too because i need to constantly make sure i will get my supply of fingerlings before they ran out due to over demand for my favourable sizes of 3''-4'' fingerlings. Even though i lock my quantity and paid a deposit in advance, sometimes i would get only 90% of my order.

Edited by RedBullHorn
  • Like 1