Touristy Type Questions

toski

Hey All,

I have been looking online for a while for a forum frequented by visitors to Phuket... im not sure if this is the best place so tell me to go away if not (nicely of course :o ). Other sites seem rather dead as far as user activity goes. I get the impression that this forum is really for workers/expats but take pity on a nice friendly young man and point me in the right direction :D

Im a 26/yr male who will be visiting phuket alone in early September and I was hoping to find some good places to stay etc and maybe make some connections in the process. Im looking to do as much diving and sampling of the local food as possible. Mmmm Thai food. A few good nights out and meeting some new people would just be a major bonus as well.

Ive never been to Thailand before and cant wait... *images of gorgeous beaches springing to mind*

Just general advice appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Hey All,

I have been looking online for a while for a forum frequented by visitors to Phuket... im not sure if this is the best place so tell me to go away if not (nicely of course :o ). Other sites seem rather dead as far as user activity goes. I get the impression that this forum is really for workers/expats but take pity on a nice friendly young man and point me in the right direction :D

Im a 26/yr male who will be visiting phuket alone in early September and I was hoping to find some good places to stay etc and maybe make some connections in the process. Im looking to do as much diving and sampling of the local food as possible. Mmmm Thai food. A few good nights out and meeting some new people would just be a major bonus as well.

Ive never been to Thailand before and cant wait... *images of gorgeous beaches springing to mind*

Just general advice appreciated!

Thanks in advance

welcome to the forum toski - the forum is for anyone really, it obviously helps if you have a connection to the country - either by holidays, work, relationships etc... there are plenty of us that arent expats so dont worry about that

my advice would be to check out the webpages of a handfull of dive shops in the area you wish to stay... they will be able to advise you of guesthouses and resorts etc that are close to the dive shops or closest to the departure points for daily dives

as for making a few connections - just contribute to the forum, have a good read - people will soon get to know your name and will be willing to meet up with you when you get out there later in the year

all the best

Thanks!

Next question of course... whats the web sites of some good dive clubs?

I have no idea where I will be staying when in Phuket... rather just choose a place when I get there or is that a bad move?

Thanks!

Next question of course... whats the web sites of some good dive clubs?

I have no idea where I will be staying when in Phuket... rather just choose a place when I get there or is that a bad move?

Phuket is a big place - its not desperately important to figure out where youre gonna stay as that time of year wont be high season anyway... an idea of what resort is always usefull though... most will head for patong but there are plenty of other resorts.

see map of island

http://www.golforient.com/images/phuketmap.jpg

this link is one of many from a quick google -

http://www.diving.phuket.com/

but it shows you the popular dive sites - ones that youre most likely going to be going on... you would have to check with a few dive outfits where there boats leave from if you wanted to save a bit of time..

Dive shops really are the important decision ... not your location ... as the better shops will get you picked up anywhere ....

Depends on your level of experience and your dive cert level ...

For fun and a pretty beach ... and the wildest nightlife .. think Patong ...

There are other less rowdy options too :o

You're coming at the wrong time of year for diving and beaches.

Diving to the Similans (the ultimate dive experience) doesn't start until November.

Beaches will have rough seas and the currents and under-tows make it too dangerous to swim. All the beaches will have red flags in September.

Diving to the Similans (the ultimate dive experience) doesn't start until November.

Beaches will have rough seas and the currents and under-tows make it too dangerous to swim. All the beaches will have red flags in September.

Got a point, what about Andamans??? :o

kinda agree ... but there is still some decent diving ... The liveaboads won't be as active but there'll be daytrips.

am just getting used to the idea that I'll be mixing up dive trips in different areas ... and still have downtime :o

The day-trips are pretty shitty compared to the Similans and the visibility is the worst for the year.

Best diving is April, just before the SW monsoon kicks in. Visibility is fantastic.

September, which I think is the wettest month of the year should be devoted to bars, women and hedonism in general.

Edited by Sir Burr

[\quote]

Not so. My local beach at Nai Yang is safe for swimming all-year round, thanks to the reef and gentle slope to the beach. But I agree that diving will be difficult!

Simon

actually there are boats running to the similans from the end of sept. Some start earlier than the the rest and some run later - for example the wicked witch is still running to the similans at the moment when pretty much everyone else stops.

rain hardly effects the diving in the similans anyway due to the topography of the islands.

currents?? well you do get some ripping ones there and elephant etc can be hard work and vis can be less with but then thats when all the pelagics are crusing in to feed. personally would rather have currents with 20m vis than none with 30 m if it means there is lots of schooling action etc.

the beaches aren't gonna be perfectly calm but there is still plenty of choice for swimming etc. Even now with the waves that are coming in just means you need to watch out that the surfers dont get you :o

THere are some liveaboard boats that start mid-october, I just saw a 6 day oen starting october 17th.. The seas are a bit choppy, and the sky might not be to clear but the vis is good and at least there are not to many boats or divers. PM me and I can mention a few companies.

THere are red flags all over the beaches now, however you could always take a surf lesson!

wow thanks all... some good info there.

I am aware that sept is a bit wet but the main part of my trip is snowboarding in Oz and Fishing off the great barrier reef so Phuket was an add on 'leg' for a week. I know it will be awesome anyways! :D

And cheaper... i believe

Im not a very accomplished diver... but a total underwater baby so will be going for it no matter what! Although... when doing my course I did manage to piss in my wet suit! What a newb error that was.... never going to make that mistake again! Hey... it waaaaas nice an warm :o

Edited by toski

actually ... if you just have your OW and not your AOW dive cert ... you might want to take a class while here ... cheap ... easy .. possibly can even negotiate on the price a bit ... get some dives in that way too!

DO shop around via the web and emails :o

the beaches aren't gonna be perfectly calm but there is still plenty of choice for swimming etc. Even now with the waves that are coming in just means you need to watch out that the surfers dont get you :o

An average of 15 people die from drowning because they swim in the sea during the SW monsoon.

Personally, I don't step into the sea from May to November. It's not the waves that kill you, it is the unseen under-tow and rip-tides.

It's only good swimmers that drown. Overconfidence kills.

It's only good swimmers that drown. Overconfidence kills.

That is very very true. I was a champion swimmer when younger. That over confidence almost got me killed. I was lucky in that I learned my lesson and survived. No matter how strong you are, there are currents that are stronger.

i was raised in some areas with pretty treacherous waters .... got caught once and had to go with the flow so to speak for quite awhile ... until I could angle in to the shore again ....

all swimmers and non-swimmers can drown ... just the nature of the beast!

Deffo some wise words! So thanks

Spend all of my youth swimming in the gorgeous fresh water lake in malawi so no strong currents there (until I found one one day lol).

Will keep it in mind and seek advice before swimming anywhere

Onto the subject of security...

how often do tourists have thier stuff nicked?

Deffo some wise words! So thanks

Spend all of my youth swimming in the gorgeous fresh water lake in malawi so no strong currents there (until I found one one day lol).

Will keep it in mind and seek advice before swimming anywhere

Onto the subject of security...

how often do tourists have thier stuff nicked?

Just be sensible - keep valuables in a hotel safe (passport,flight tickets,spare emergency cash) and carry as little as possible.

I only ever carry 5,000 baht maximum on me - no need to take any more around with you !

Also, i keep one ATM cash card in the hotel safe, and another i take with me in a water-proof case wherever i go. Always split up your cards/cash in case the worst happens.

I my experience Thailand is ok - but just remember that your wad of cash for a weeks holiday is a years worth of good living for someone else - keep it hidden...

I only got robbed once - left money in my bag in the hotel room - asking for trouble and found out the hard way !

Good luck - don't be paranoid but be aware of your surroundings !

Ian