US urges new elections in Thailand

webfact

US urges new elections in Thailand

WASHINGTON, May 8, 2014 (AFP) - The United States on Wednesday called for a "peaceful" resolution to political tensions in Thailand and new elections after the country's constitutional court dismissed the prime minister and nine ministers for abuse of power.

Washington was "following closely" the developments after the court removed Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra from office, ruling she had acted illegally by transferring a top security officer in 2011.

"We continue to urge all sides to resolve Thailand's political tensions in a peaceful and democratic manner so that the Thai people can choose political leadership they deserve," State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki said.

"In keeping with Thailand's democratic ideals, a resolution should include elections and an elected government."

Nine cabinet ministers who endorsed the decision to transfer Thawil Pliensri were also stripped of their status.

Observers said the court ruling does nothing to ease Thailand's prolonged political malaise, and there were fears of further clashes on the streets of Bangkok with the kingdom still bitterly divided.

Psaki called on all sides "to exercise restraint" and stressed that "violence is not an acceptable means of resolving political differences."

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2014-05-08

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

very good response and 100% correct - Elections should always be part of the process at the right time

Reforms

Referendum

Elections

Also investigations into the missing billions and those responsible jailed for a very long time

Lets make sure the reforms are for the good of all the Thai people and not just PDRC or UDD, these two groups need to get together and be involved - no exclusions

Thaksin can not be part of it

PS Tarit must be feeling rather lonely right now

• Like 2

very good response and 100% correct - Elections should always be part of the process at the right time

Reforms

Referendum

Elections

Also investigations into the missing billions and those responsible jailed for a very long time

Lets make sure the reforms are for the good of all the Thai people and not just PDRC or UDD, these two groups need to get together and be involved - no exclusions

Should it not be

Referendum

Reforms

Elections

Why do you seek to deny the people a say in what reforms they will be subjected to?

The overwhelming majority want nothing to do with Suthep and his crap.

Could it be that holding a referendum is exactly the same as holding and election because the PTP will win both.

The last thing the coup-mongers want is for a referendum on returning the Senate to a fully elected body because it would pass and they would all be dead as ducks without their incestuously appointed cronies to do their corrupt dirty work for them.

• Like 2

It is all very well urging for elections there is one side that honestly, you wouldn't trust with your train set, fortunately USA has not got these type of people running around the corridors of power , although if like Australia , there are a-few that are working on the Shinawatra's ideals.coffee1.gif

Reforms

Referendum

Elections

I'd figure your boy Tarit considers he survived the Wednesday Afternoon Massacre that occurred at the top of the government yesterday.

You had called for the house arrest of many, the military to take control which would mean martial law among a long list of the pet peeves of the feudalists. You didn't get it this time. You're not ever gonna get it at any time. So it's encouraging to see you've mellowed somewhat overnight and I hope you not only remain mellow but that you might become more so.

Time has always been on the side of the government and time continues to march on. I'm pleased to see my government is in the march and is up front about it.

• Like 1

Reforms

Referendum

Elections

Should it not be

Referendum

Reforms

Elections

Why do you seek to deny the people a say in what reforms they will be subjected to?

Could it be that holding a referendum is exactly the same as holding and election because the PTP will win both.

The last thing the coup-mongers want is for a referendum on returning the Senate to a fully elected body because it would pass and they would all be dead as ducks without their incestuously appointed cronies to do their corrupt dirty work for them.

referendum first to vote for what ? you lost me there

The reforms should be all inclusive to all parts of Thailand and all peoples then they can all vote for them by referendum if passed then elections take place

I personally don't trust Suthep - I do admire him for his steadfast conviction to what he believes but he is not the man to be involved in any reforms simply because he has been a Politician

Thailand needs an independent none political forum headed by a neutral trusted chair that can guide those involved through the reform process, it is a complex process and will not be easy, my advice would be to have foreign neutral expert involvement which actually happens with many conflicts across the world

Reforms

Referendum

Elections

I'd figure your boy Tarit considers he survived the Wednesday Afternoon Massacre that occurred at the top of the government yesterday.

You had called for the house arrest of many, the military to take control which would mean martial law among a long list of the pet peeves of the feudalists. You didn't get it this time. You're not ever gonna get it at any time. So it's encouraging to see you've mellowed somewhat overnight and I hope you not only remain mellow but that you might become more so.

Time has always been on the side of the government and time continues to march on. I'm pleased to see my government is in the march and is up front about it.

you are misunderstanding what I said - I did not state that the military should take control my point was simply that as the police cannot be trusted to do their job the military should be taking a roll to maintain law and order - an extention of what they doing right now, military taking control is as you call it is a very very last resort but is always there if certain factions get ahead of themselves

I meant nothing more than that

"We continue to urge all sides to resolve Thailand's political tensions in a peaceful and democratic manner so that the Thai people can choose political leadership they deserve," State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki said.

A real kick in the nuts for the elites by Uncle Sam.

​Their jig is up and PTP and Democracy has won the day.

My friend Torkmada, I'm afraid you missed your target just by an inch.

- Thai people will get the political leadership they deserve. Psaki - a good name for a good job.

- Uncle Sam has missed the nuts of the elites.

- There never was, is or will be any Democracy in Thailand.

America has there own reasons and interest in keeping a certain group in Thailand in Power

The US doesn't really care which 'group' is in charge and maintains pretty friendly relations with all the groups, in spite of what you may hear. It is in the interest of the region for Thailand to be a stable country.

The closest relationship in the past has been with the military, by the way.

Both partially right, I suspect. What the US really really wants is for Thailand to become a proper vassal state. Does anybody really believe the US supports democracy? Really? Democracy is the Trojan horse that allows globalists to steal resources by paying off locally elected politicians. Military intervention only happens when this invasion by stealth fails - see Ukraine as the most high profile current example. Every country has the same trajectory: promises of wealth and freedom, democracy, debt, resource theft, military bases, more debt, dominion. You will know if Thailand yields as you'll be able to buy property.

So, the US globalists (and others) don't really care who runs a vassal state - autocracies are fine so long as they are allies, democracies are better as easier to control from outside. So the choice facing Thailand is to retain their parochial feudalism or submit to a corporate neofeudalism. The only other alternative is to be stridently independent.

The carrot of more factories and increased exports only lasts for a brief period. The next phase of industrialisation is for local mini-factories. The decreasing costs of automation and the increasing costs of transportation make this the next logical step. So, apart from high value items like planes, the megafactories of the future will give way to smaller factories - just as in computer servers. Those 'developing countries' who have sold their resources for a slice of pie will be left with crumbs.

For those who believe in the propaganda that we are all interconnected and therefore have to allow more connections to be made, the important thing is the flow in those connections. A sewage system may be all connected but it also flows in one direction.

• Like 2

America has there own reasons and interest in keeping a certain group in Thailand in Power

You are invited to elaborate as the clear implication of your post is that you know what, why, perhaps you know it all.

Then to state your certain and firm knowledge of Washington's "reasons and interest in keeping a certain group in Thailand in power." I agree with your statement as it is, so let's see if you and I might happen to agree on the substance and the specifics of it.

Finally to compare and contrast the two.

Otherwise you'd be talking up in the air and in the blue sky.

I know as I read this statement by Washington it once again makes clear the United States opposes a "People's Council" and an equally unelected elitist ammart National Assembly, an appointed prime minister in any way, shape or form. Which means the so-called "reforms" and the PDRC that would summarily and arbitrarily impose "reforms" on the general population have been rejected outright in Washington.

Election now, reforms to follow.

It's also obvious that as Washington supports a peaceful democratic election as the way forward, it naturally follows Prez Obama wants the Democrat Party here to engage in the election and to legitimately contest it. Washington is also telling the failed "people's sovereign" and raging lunatic Suthep to stand down and to walk home to stay home.

This is Washington's policy position and its components so no one should doubt that for a moment, and it always has been Prez Obama's position in respect of Thailand during this recent chaos and insurrection. And Washington is not alone in the region in advocating this policy. I dare say the policy is shared among the governments of India, Australia, Asean, Japan, South Korea, not to mention the EU collectively and individually by member state.

The USA want a bottle with the label "democracy", although there is a very sour wine in it. You are not different. As if so called democratic elections alone would be a guarantee for a real democray. Hitler and a lot of other dictaters have been elected democraticly. It matters what they are doing during their election period. If you show me Yingluck's "democratic" actions, I will repeat her overwhelming and essential undemocratic actions.

In order to have some military bases and other interests here in Thailand the US forg(o)et basic democracy, as usual. Did the US urge Thaksin to return to democracy when he allowed the illegal killing of more than 2.500 people in the drug war? A very serious tragedy. Silencebah.gif ! Why? Thaksin has been so clever sending 100 troopers to the fabricated Iraq War.

It seems that your memory doesn't work very well and your view is very partial.

"Election now, reforms to follow." Then Thailand will have the same sh@t of corruption and family cronyism as before. Are the US afraid of a change? A positive change for Thailand, if they reform the politics before the election.

The mess is that Suthep doesn't show detailed "democratic" points of the future reform.

Doubtless, the PT has some good infrastructure programs for Thailand's future. But how they would like to perform it is horrible, completely undemocratic and intransparent, open for the a giant corruption. It seems the US don't mind "democratic" corruption for whatever reason.

• Like 1

The US doesn't really care which 'group' is in charge and maintains pretty friendly relations with all the groups, in spite of what you may hear. It is in the interest of the region for Thailand to be a stable country.

Both partially right, I suspect. What the US really really wants is for Thailand to become a proper vassal state. Does anybody really believe the US supports democracy? Really? Democracy is the Trojan horse that allows globalists to steal resources by paying off locally elected politicians. Military intervention only happens when this invasion by stealth fails - see Ukraine as the most high profile current example. Every country has the same trajectory: promises of wealth and freedom, democracy, debt, resource theft, military bases, more debt, dominion. You will know if Thailand yields as you'll be able to buy property.

So, the US globalists (and others) don't really care who runs a vassal state - autocracies are fine so long as they are allies, democracies are better as easier to control from outside. So the choice facing Thailand is to retain their parochial feudalism or submit to a corporate neofeudalism. The only other alternative is to be stridently independent.

The carrot of more factories and increased exports only lasts for a brief period. The next phase of industrialisation is for local mini-factories. The decreasing costs of automation and the increasing costs of transportation make this the next logical step. So, apart from high value items like planes, the megafactories of the future will give way to smaller factories - just as in computer servers. Those 'developing countries' who have sold their resources for a slice of pie will be left with crumbs.

For those who believe in the propaganda that we are all interconnected and therefore have to allow more connections to be made, the important thing is the flow in those connections. A sewage system may be all connected but it also flows in one direction.

Vassal state? You use a lot of big words in your response but that doesn't hide the moronic content. This isn't the 19th century. The US doesn't do Vassal states anymore.

When the news came out I didn't want to comment: -

- not my business;

- not my country;

- respect for the Law etc.

Now that Americans make it officially anybody's business, why not me?

At least I live here and the matter of former PM, the way she was ousted and the next in line PM will reflect on our host country.

My two bits worth: -

- she was a good PM in many respects:

-- a woman;

-- a lady;

-- very patient;

-- not a thief;

-- pragmatic

-- etc.

Comparing her to possible next in line candidates I assure you we will all regret this removal.

The amount of dirt some very narrow minded TV individuals were putting on her is mind boggling:

- too many shoes;

- shoes too clean;

- Taksin;

- Chinese;

- shopaholic;

- world rice prices;

- etc.

The only objection to her as a PM from me was - not enough balls. One does not go for the job without being tough, even ruthless at some points.

I will be gleeing over the election results of the next PM to be. I am sure the People's choice will be worthy of their progressive, wise and educated preferences.

As to the Courts in Thailand I simply do not know enough of Thai Laws.

But if a PM needs a Court approval to appoint or dismiss an officer - why bother to be a PM in Thailand?

And if the Court has the power to dismiss a PM why bother with elections? Why the same Court cannot appoint the next one?

They call me Alien here. Thais are surely Aliens to me.

In my opinion, I don't think your list qualifies a candidate to be PM. I also think your list is incorrect. She was a good PM because she was a woman? how does being a lady make her a better PM? As for not a thief, where's the farmer's money? Pragmatic? have you heard her speak? Do you understand Thai? I haven't heard her answer a single question directly without referring someone else or saying she will check on an answer.

As to the courts in Thailand, the constitution are a set of laws that keep everything fair, there is a check and balance to keep people such as a PM from becoming a dictator. The removal of an official without proper process is one of those checks and balances. What country did you come from? Please keep in mind that Yingluck was not elected, her party was, the guilty were removed from office, it is still her party in charge, they will select a new PM caretaker. What part of this is unfair? The courts have done their duty by law. They have not place a new PM in power because that is not their duty. They have stated that the remaining government will be caretaker until the election. I fail to see how you interrupt your statement on the power of the courts. You should be considering the power of the PM, does being in power allow one to defy the laws of the land? Have you considered what she has done? If your claim is innocent until proven guilty on the rice scheme, you won't have to wait long because that's coming too. My question is once that verdict is out will you denounce it as you have denounce the constitutional courts ruling on her abuse of power? But yes, she's a woman so she's fit for office, right?

• Like 1

When the news came out I didn't want to comment: -

- not my business;

- not my country;

- respect for the Law etc.

Now that Americans make it officially anybody's business, why not me?

At least I live here and the matter of former PM, the way she was ousted and the next in line PM will reflect on our host country.

My two bits worth: -

- she was a good PM in many respects:

-- a woman;

-- a lady;

-- very patient;

-- not a thief;

-- pragmatic

-- etc.

Comparing her to possible next in line candidates I assure you we will all regret this removal.

The amount of dirt some very narrow minded TV individuals were putting on her is mind boggling:

- too many shoes;

- shoes too clean;

- Taksin;

- Chinese;

- shopaholic;

- world rice prices;

- etc.

The only objection to her as a PM from me was - not enough balls. One does not go for the job without being tough, even ruthless at some points.

I will be gleeing over the election results of the next PM to be. I am sure the People's choice will be worthy of their progressive, wise and educated preferences.

As to the Courts in Thailand I simply do not know enough of Thai Laws.

But if a PM needs a Court approval to appoint or dismiss an officer - why bother to be a PM in Thailand?

And if the Court has the power to dismiss a PM why bother with elections? Why the same Court cannot appoint the next one?

They call me Alien here. Thais are surely Aliens to me.

Have you seriously thought about doing in depth political analyses? Maybe write a book?

• Like 1

Vassal state? You use a lot of big words in your response but that doesn't hide the moronic content. This isn't the 19th century. The US doesn't do Vassal states anymore.

most U.S. vassal states were created and supported in the 20th century.

Reforms

Referendum

Elections

Should it not be

Referendum

Reforms

Elections

The reforms should be all inclusive to all parts of Thailand and all peoples then they can all vote for them by referendum if passed then elections take place

I personally don't trust Suthep - I do admire him for his steadfast conviction to what he believes but he is not the man to be involved in any reforms simply because he has been a Politician

Thailand needs an independent none political forum headed by a neutral trusted chair that can guide those involved through the reform process, it is a complex process and will not be easy, my advice would be to have foreign neutral expert involvement which actually happens with many conflicts across the world

I understand, it's very easy to lose you guys when it comes to democracy and the rights of the citizens of a nation.

A referendum on the proposed reforms!

Surely you can't just change the rules of the games without consulting the people first.

You admire Suthep because he is a steadfast in his pursuit of dictatorship, apartheid and robbing the people of their franchise as a pedophile is in pursuing 5 year olds?

Strange moral philosophy operating there.

As for the last point, what other country in the world allows foreigners to overtly come in and run the show.

Hold an election, respect the results and, in good time, all will be sweet.

• Like 1

America has a real interest in keeping Thailand aligned with the Democracies of the world.

All good people are like minded in this matter.

Only the greedy, bigoted, prejudiced, selfish few want to deny Thailand her democracy.

Democracy? I doubt the present oligarchy currently running the U.S. can even spell the word.

Americas problem is more the uneducated, ignorant and overly religious electorate.

The massive influx of Latinos will, in good time, sort out Americas electoral problems.

Republicans, in their current state (a coalition of Wall-streeters, Tea-baggers and Religious Nut-jobs) are doomed to the same fate as Thai Democrats - electoral irrelevance.

When the right wing comes to it's senses, Amercias democracy will be back on track - (ditto Thailand and the Dems)