Repairing the screen on a Google Nexus 7

Hi,

I have a Google Nexus 7 tablet, which I absolutely love and it is by far the best tablet I have ever used. It is so fast, the screen is excellent, it has original Android and fits nicely in my hand.

To cut a long story short, the screen has been damaged, as shown below.

20140508_064242.jpg

Does anyone know if the screen could be repaired?

I know the Nexus 7 is perhaps not as widely available/known in Thailand as say an iPad or Samsung, so I am not sure if it is even possible. However, the device is made by Asus, so I was thinking I could take it to an Asus store and they might be able to help me out.

Failing that I would even consider taking it to Somchai's mobile phone/tablet shop and see if he could fix it.

Hoping I'm not going to have to send my Nexus 7 to the big tablet graveyard in the sky.

Any feedback and advice welcomed.

Thanks.

Google "replace screen nexus" and you'll see it is possible and can be a DIY job. You can buy a replacement screen through the likes of eBay and install it yourself.

funny; my gf cracked her Asus Memo 7" screen. Went to the Asus dealer in phuket, they wanted 4,000 Baht

went online and the best price i saw was $48.00 ( 1,500) from China

as it still works i am not going to replace it as i only paid $139 ( 4,500) for it Brand new last nov in the states.

I watched the video an dit seem like u need to take the whole thing apart an with my luck would buy the glass and wont be able to make it work again laugh.png

My advice , if it works, wait till it doesn't an buy a new one

• Like 1

I did this exact thing with my Google Nexus 7 and had it fixed at the Asus store in Chiang Mai (near Central Plaza Mall). It only took 2 days and cost around 3000Baht but was worth it since I had a lot of information on it and preferred that to buying a new one.

What an astounding video presentation! Very educational. I always assumed that if you broke the glass, you could simply pry it off, but no! You've got to go through all of these steps. It is fascinating to see what is inside. Now it is easy to see why it costs so much to "simply" replace the glass. You can buy a new, latest model Google nexus 7 on Amazon for 7000 Baht, or an earlier 2012 model for half that, so it seems not worthwhile to repair a broken one, even thought it might be a fun evening of work.

It's amazing that this whole disassembly/reassembly takes just 40 minutes. All along I was thinking, all right, let's see what happens when you hit the switch. But it worked! Interesting to see the heavy reliance in adhesives and sticky tape. Now...let's take the iPhone apart!

I bought a 2012 model, and liked it so much I bought the 2013, which has two cameras, but otherwise is about the same. Since the whole thing is based on your Google account, when I fired up the new one, Google loaded everything that was on the old one, including all of the apps i had paid for, with the exception of my e-books. I didn't even have to ask. People like to badmouth Google, but can you imagine Microsoft doing that? No, they would make you buy another license for every app.

I took one with me on a trip, along with a cheap bluetooth keyboard. Left the laptop home, and so avoided all that stupid routine of pulling the computer out of the backpack for scanning.

This is a fantastic device.

• Like 2

I replaced the screen on my Nexus 7

Get the screen and digitiser, dont try and replace the glass alone - therin lies madness

I used an old credit card, good magnifying glass and a lolipop stick. A hair drier on LOW setting. Also a Gin and tonic is vital

Take care not to short out the component or damage the connectors or cables - easy to do

The online tutorials are great but are a trifle over enthusiastic and don't mention the need for Gin, take it slow (English cultural joke)

I would suggest connecting the unit to a computer first to check that the file system is loading, you don't want to go through the agony of replacing the screen only to later find the main board is lunch.

• Like 1

Hi

thanks for you comments so far. I don't really fancy starting to take the thing apart myself.

I live in Hua Hin and I'm sure there is an Asus store in Market Village. I think I'll take it there and see if they can have a look at it. I'd happily pay 3000 Baht to get it fixed as like a member commented above, it is a fantastic device.

I bought a 2012 model, and liked it so much I bought the 2013, which has two cameras, but otherwise is about the same. Since the whole thing is based on your Google account, when I fired up the new one, Google loaded everything that was on the old one, including all of the apps i had paid for, with the exception of my e-books. I didn't even have to ask. People like to badmouth Google, but can you imagine Microsoft doing that? No, they would make you buy another license for every app.

I took one with me on a trip, along with a cheap bluetooth keyboard. Left the laptop home, and so avoided all that stupid routine of pulling the computer out of the backpack for scanning.

This is a fantastic device.

I couldn't agree more!

• Like 1

I might replace a N7.2 screen, assuming it (replacement parts) was up to spec. Some of these suppliers are throwing any sort of screen into these "kits".

Replacing an N7 (first gen) screen probably isn't worth the time, money or effort? You could buy a known good/working used/second-hand unit for less than the parts/repair costs.

Good point about the Nexus 7 2013 model not costing all that much more than a screen repair of your old model. If you were to come to Bangkok, you would find shops that sell just about any type of screen at the rear of floors 2,3 & 4. When I bought my Lenovo S410P at Advice a few months ago, I wasn't happy with the screen so I had it replaced with a brighter screen with a higher pixel count. It cost me about 3,000. If you go in, they may possibly be able to put the new Nexus 7 screen on your old tablet. At any rate, Nexus 7 screens are easily fixed. Good luck!

If you are in Bangkok you will almost certainly find someone who can do it on the fourth floor of MBK. I had to get my phone screen replaced and I'm 99% the guy who did it also had Nexus 7 parts. Was cheaper than Dr Smartphone, cheaper than what I saw Sony quoted people for it and actually cheaper than I could find the spare part on eBay. That's not to say it was cheap, it was over half the price I paid for the phone, but I still think I got a decent deal on it.

Edited by blorg