Lack of Empathy with Animals.

No real point to this post, I just wanted to have a moan.

I had one of my dog spayed yesterday after her first (& last) litter. She has a large dressing over the wound and a big “funnel” collar to prevent her getting at the wound. It’s quite obvious something is abnormal and we’ve told everyone to be careful with her.

This morning, she was sleeping in a doorway in the wall between our property & the aunt’s next door – not really obstructing it, just making it a little narrower.

So SIL comes through the doorway and the dog was reluctant to get up because she was tired, as you’d expect. What does stupid SIL do? She kicks the dog in the belly a couple of times at which point I came out of our house & caught her in the act. I went absolutely apesh*t and gave her a mouthful. All the woman did was give that typical nervous Thai laugh.

The dog seems OK but that's just a matter of luck - the result could have been very different. I can imagine the SIL's reaction if I kicked her adjacent to a large wound!!

Sometimes - well, most of the time, really - I hate the attitude a great many Thai people have towards animals.

• Like 1

The problem herein lies not with empathy towards your dog but with the proximity to which your SIL and extended Thai family live.

Should have lived elsewhere then they wouldn't be round your house everyday getting your goat up.

last answer is the true answer, at least in the villages. same as here. in the older villages and older generation, dogs were working animasl and when sick, u took care just enought not to waste money, and only because the animal 'works' , and inside dogs were for 'soft city folks'... although we've reached that stage here now with indoor pet spoiled type doggies, still many feel its a waste of time or money to do more then feed, worm, anti tick and patch up the animal.

and some poeple still dont like dogs. period.

my bitch was just spayed and they found she was pregnant with two week old dead undeveloped pups so she had a major surgery. she was refusing to eat whihc is normal for the first day or three after such surgery but still refusing to eat, although no fever etc. so i went and bought some prepared shnitzels at lunch time from the kibbutz cafeteria. Bought. my money. i can eat them or throw them away, or whatever. but someone asked and i answered they were for lilee... its one of the old old guys from 'way back when when everyone was a tough kibtuznik', and he thought i was nuts. 'she doesnt eat, her problem. either she will eat or die, u can get a new one'...

no way. i also have farm animals and they all get treated well, even if they are going to be food later on, or in soeone's backyard farm... but i am not old school. and the price of the special foods/shcnitzels and meds etc are in place of me buying an other nice shirt or sitting in a coffee house for cake,coffee adn quiche...

sometimes you have to explain to people what actions you expect from them, why, and maybe next time there is improvement. hubby improved with his attitude towards 'useless indoor dogs that dont work' (he cooks for them when i dont look).

I witnessed this my first week in Thailand. Some guy ran over a puppy in a small soi, breaking it's back. The screams from this poor animal were excrutiating to hear. The driver got out of his car, looked at the puppy and got back in and drove away. The other tourists were horrified, wondering what to do. The Thais? Mai Pen Rai. Just walked away. Luckily, I lived on a farm and had to put down many sick or injured animals. I picked up the still squealing pup, brought it around the side of a building and ended it's pain quickly. No more suffering. And the Thais said I was a bad man and will be punished for it. Go figure.

• Like 2

And if you look at the thread about running and dogs, you'd find a lot of foreigners suggesting poisoning, shooting, beating, and doing other harm to dogs. I do not think it is a cultural thing, it is an individual thing.

• Like 2

People who treat animals in a horrible way, do so because that's how they want to be treated.

As a good man I always give them what they want. I find pleasure in it. When I see an animal abuser, whatever he did to the animal I do it right back to him. Not because I want to hurt that person but because it is obvious that he did what he did because he wants the same thing to be done to him.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

People who treat animals in a horrible way, do so because that's how they want to be treated.

As a good man I always give them what they want. I find pleasure in it. When I see an animal abuser, whatever he did to the animal I do it right back to him. Not because I want to hurt that person but because it is obvious that he did what he did because he wants the same thing to be done to him.

yes if that had been my sil and my dog,I have a good pair of leather shoe's that I cant wear as they are too hard,but I would have put up with the pain and gave her a right and left good kicking.that would have taken the smile off her face.

++++++100