Lift not working need help

The lift in our building has been out for over 2 weeks and we are aware that there is a government department that can force the owners to repair it but we don't know the department details. Has anyone any idea about this please?

Where do you live?

Did you speak to your landlord/other tenants?

Tell your landlord you will reduce the rent for the inconvenience.

Or do what many of us do when something is broke... fix it yourself (joking).

Where do you live?

The owners are Thai Chinese and do not listen to us farang here thats why we need the info asked for so we can force them to fix it.

• Like 1

There is one owner of the building? Stop paying rent...

That's not really the answer to this as it puts us all in breach of contract.

They've already breached it through...surely?

Sometimes parts are unavailable or on backorder. Other times, it is a big repair and requires additional work. Usually, a responsible landlord informs the tenants and accords a small rent reduction.

Yes we understand that but so far we have just been told they are making a part and testing it but no one has been near this lift in the two weeks its been out so testing it on what and where?

coppywriter, on 08 May 2014 - 16:02, said:
Chonburiram, on 08 May 2014 - 14:50, said:

Where do you live?

The owners are Thai Chinese and do not listen to us farang here thats why we need the info asked for so we can force them to fix it.

That's the norm. sad.png

What floor do you live on?

Why is that important?

You really have to ask?

Clearly not on a high floor then.....

Look at it as a free workout, or move out:rolleyes:

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I live on the 7th floor and I am partially disabled, and I don't want to move out thanks. There are also other people in this building who are worse placed than I am. If you don't know the info I asked for please don't bother posting your unhelpfull comments.

• Like 1

You say that if you stop paying rent you will be breaching the contract !

What contract ? Your individual leases ? If so what does your lease say about maintenance, repairs, etc.

I really don't think that there is any agency that can force landlords to make repairs since this is not a condo, which would come under the Condominium Act

You could try the Office of Consumer Protection Board here:

http://www.ocpb.go.th/ewtadmin/ewt/ocpb_eng/main.php?filename=index___EN

If it's a private-owned building, they can do whatever they want, meaning that if the elevator doesn't work, there's no agency to force them to fix it unlike in most western countries. Assuming your lease agreement doesn't include elevator service as most tenants don't pay common expenses, your only legal option is to file a complaint at the nearest police station, and perhaps that will push the landlord to do something about it.

I found always beneficial to fluently speak and write Thai because it can solve miscommunication issues when people speak the same language.

As a tenant, your recourse is to move out should time to fix the lift is too lengthy and unacceptable.

If only a few weeks, ask for discount on rent for this period.

No law to force the building owner unless it is a safety issue. In such a case, BMA is the authority if in Bangkok.

I went to pay the service charge on my condo today but the lifts weren't working there either. I fancied a few minutes up on the roof with a cold beer but buggered if I'm walking 15 floors up.

After 15 floors your beer is well deserved and probably not cold anymore cheesy.gif

You can try the ombudsman.

You can also ask the land office where to go.

I do not know which city you live in, but I used the ombudsman in Pattaya once for another situation and got fast results.

Someone mentioned that the owner can do whatever he wants. No, he cannot. If the building is recent and has over four or five floors, it needs to have an elevator.

And, the contract you have and the rent you pay includes the elevator even if not specifically mentioned.

There was a condo building in Pattaya, eight floors, which had the elevator out for 3 months after the juristic manager ran off with all of the money.

And, as others have mentioned, it might be best for you to leave, as other problems may arise in the future, and the owner is showing his interest in keeping the building up and running is very low.