why do thais forget there poor past when they become rich?

dirtyfalang

Knew a cashier at Tesco in Pattaya. Along came an offshore worker to the till and they married 6 months later. She now lives in a 20 million baht home and drives a new Mercedes.Won't lift a finger...has to hire her sister as a maid and her brother cleans the yard.

She was best friends with my ex-girlfriend and they had a laundry business in Pattaya for a few years before this. This girl has now cut off every single friend from her life, including her best friend (my ex). Won't even answer her phone calls.

Most bizarre thing I've ever seen. Even rich celebrities like to keep their original friends around.

I think some Thais that were poor before know the truth is that they are only rich because of spreading their legs. By living in denial, they can assume a new identity but anything from their past that makes them confront reality is just too unpleasant for most people.

You see the same behaviour with farang on here, when they are 60 years old and marry someone their daughter's age. They never want to go back home to visit because they would have to face reality that they married a young whore. Staying in Thailand lets them feel they are normal.

Good morning whereustay,

I can't comment on the first part of your post, however the last paragraph interests me.

I'm always amused when people make claims like this. I ask you this, 'How do you see the same behaviour with farang on here?' (assuming your talking about TV/Internet).

There's often posts on TV about other TVF members that claim things like this, but how do you know? Is there some magical viewing glass that you look through to see who's on the other end of the optical fibre?

For example, I have previously been accused of being old this with a young that, yet nothing really could be further from the truth. In actual fact, in the last 25 years I have had 3 relationships with Thai women, my current wife, we've been together approx 11 years, there's 10 years age difference between us. There was a brief relationship previous to that, 3 years difference and prior to that I was with a Thai lady 12 years my senior and that relationship lasted for a decade and only ended after she was killed in an accident.

In my younger years I always went out with Thai ladies that were older than me, including a lady in her 30ies when I was 19. In actual fact I had several disagreements with my father whilst growing up here about the age of the ladies I associated with and it was never because they were too young.

Throughout my life here I have met numerous 'fariang' guys who have partnered with Thais roughly their own age, give or take just 2 or 3 years. Actually, strangely enough, not dissimilar to what I have seen in other parts of the world.

Of course, I have also seen on the few occassions I traverse tourist areas the exact opposite, really old guys cruising down the street with girls or guys a portion of their age.............but my question is, how on earth do you know which ones are posting here on TV.

There's other generalisms that are often cast onto farang or TVF members here. Things about all Thai women bleeding their men of their wealth, prostitutes as wives and so forth, meanwhile again I've come across mixtures of this and just about every other combination of Thai lady/farang man combination. I know one Thai/farang couple that were gifted a home by the Thai in laws. My inlaws recently gifted me a car, 6 months old, I don't want it and I'm not even there to drive it. My wives family never asks me for money and in recent years my wife's yearly income has exceeded mine.

I presently have a Thai female friend, she's 40 years old, not married, quite wealthy and DEFINATELY from good stock, she has a well paying job in a family business, travels overseas regularly, owns her own home and drives a nice car. No doubt if she were to link up with a farang and pass you In the street holding his hand you would draw some further assumptions? (all wrong).

One of the funniest assumptions people (both farang and Thai) seem to make is that all Thai/Farang relationships involve poor girls from the far north east meeting in bars. I'd love 5 baht for every Thai person that's spoken to my wife in isaan lingo and she understands virtually zip because she comes from the south. We've had older Thais, not known to us, ask my wife how long she lived in Pattaya, which is an amusing assumption on their behalf. So these common misconceptions arnt limited to Thai Visa.

If you spend your entire life here in Thailand roaming the streets of tourist Thailand making your assumptions, then your database is somewhat obscured. Perhaps you need to cast your eyes a further afield.

just sayin ;)

FINALLY, I know several Thais with servants (if that's what you want to call them) and from what I've seen, they are all treated well, their paid well and In some cases form part of the family, often included at festive times in one way or another. I've never seen any of them YELL anything, excluding festive cheers and jokes. Decent Thais don't yell at each other in my experience although I am sure it happens.

Edited by neverdie
  • Like 1

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thais have absolutely no empathy. A little girl was weeping her eyes out upon seeing the body of her father at the cremation. None of her relatives or friends or neighbours showed her any regard or even cried save my Thai wife ( her cousin) and myself who cried with her.

All the rest kept their stoney stoic resolve and ignored her. Although she had many very close relatives whom she saw on a daily basis, she came to us.

Great—another brilliant piece of insight: "Thais have absolutely no empathy"

Why is this thread still alive??

Don't turn this into another Thai bashing topic please.

Thank you cdnvic!!

This is not a Thai-specific issue, and to say "thais", like it applies to the entire nation, is unacceptable. I don't mean to be prescriptive, but it just is.

Can't we just close this thread?

Why, I have found it quite interesting so far, AND the issue in other countries has been raised.

Thank you cdnvic!!

This is not a Thai-specific issue, and to say "thais", like it applies to the entire nation, is unacceptable. I don't mean to be prescriptive, but it just is.

Why, I have found it quite interesting so far, AND the issue in other countries has been raised.

Surely there is a better way to discuss this matter? Plus, the OP is given unwarranted credit (or will take it this way).

Thank you cdnvic!!

Yes but tranny, you are easily amused.......remember when you discovered your own belly button? ;)

Thank you cdnvic!!

Yes but tranny, you are easily amused.......remember when you discovered your own belly button? wink.png

Weeeeeeeeeeell, I have always been able to see it, unlike many folk I know..........whistling.gif .................laugh.png

• Like 2