Wild Camping in Northern Thailand...

HI everybody.

Im on my way in a weeks time to travel from Chiang Mai to Nong Khai, and was thinking i would like to make it as a bike ride on my motorbike instead of the normal airplane route.. I were thinking that i love camping and so on, so i would like to camp in the wild areas in the mountains (far from the city a little away from road and so on!)..

Is this something that could be a problem in the eyes of a thai person ?

Is it even legal..? I heard something years ago, that it could be a problem if someone see you..

Tried to find information in thaivisa searchfunction, but couldnt really find anything other that khao yai national park information, and so on..

Thank you

Watch out for the animals...and not just the 4 legged ones.

Bears, tigers, elephants...all possibilities depending where you are....tigers maybe not so....but we have bears nearby and elephants also, so I would be a little reluctant to camp out around here.

smile.png I am sure almost all rural Thai people if you ask permission to pitch a tent on their land for a night or two, will be highly amused and will not object!

Just hiking up the hill it might be difficult to find a place to pitch a tent.

Edited by keestha
  • Like 1

Thai's are used to camping in NP. You really don't need to worry about animals - possibly areas where there are a lot of monkeys can be a problem. You are more likely to win the lottery twice in a row than be eaten by a Tiger.

Thai's are used to camping in NP. You really don't need to worry about animals - possibly areas where there are a lot of monkeys can be a problem. You are more likely to win the lottery twice in a row than be eaten by a Tiger.

He said 'wild mountain areas, and away off the roads'.....so, I would imagine with wild animals such as bears, tigers, elephants etc in Thailand...the areas that he has expressed his desire to camp, he could/should be a little concerned....although each and every area is different and not so many tigers left...but there are still some spots and one of those spots just might be picked by the OP to go visit..and camp...off the road, away off the road.

In Oz I used to camp away off the road....but that was to steer clear of view of serial killers more than anything else...not so may killer kangas out there either.

He said 'wild mountain areas, and away off the roads'.....so, I would imagine with wild animals such as bears, tigers, elephants etc in Thailand...the areas that he has expressed his desire to camp, he could/should be a little concerned....although each and every area is different and not so many tigers left...but there are still some spots and one of those spots just might be picked by the OP to go visit..and camp...off the road, away off the road.

In Oz I used to camp away off the road....but that was to steer clear of view of serial killers more than anything else...not so may killer kangas out there either.

Well, if he is way off the roads then his chances of survival have definitely improved. The roads in Thailand are way more dangerous than the wild animals. I have never heard of anyone in recent years being taken by a tiger or bear in Thailand. Wild elephant is a very slim possibility. On your last comment about Oz - I agree. Especially in Qld! What is more of a problem, if he goes seriously "bush" is falling and breaking a leg or getting lost. I got mildly lost a couple of times - managed to get out OK - it is not a good feeling. I have found that even being a few meters away from a road in dense cover it is very easy to get lost. Also it is amazing how sound is killed by trees. I have demonstrated how in some instances a whistle can not be heard over more than fifty meters and less if there is a wind blowing. Modern GPS etc has helped a lot now of course. Some areas have malaria. And, I work researching wildlife so am wary of rabies. Although, in this regard the soi dogs frighten me most.

Typically I don't think anyone should go seriously "bush" if they are not really experienced and confident. You should travel with companion(s). Also, you need to leave detailed instructions with trusted friends and someone who known what to do in the event you go missing.