Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

High Pressure Water Cleaner

I'm considering buying a high pressure water cleaner (Kaercher) for cleaning my mew Fortuner. Anyone has any experience using a high pressure water cleaner for a car before? Any products like Kaercher to recommend?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes it's messy long winded and no fun but that's only my opinion,I have a black and decker one solely for cleaning my off road motorbike due to the fact it gets to the hard to reach parts.

Where I live the cost of a car wash albeit a pretty basic one costs only 120 baht,another reason I don't wash my car with it.

It is handy for cleaning walls and patios as well but again the whole process creates so much mess.

• Like 1

It's the only way to do it and you can keep the brakes, fender wells and even the engine like new, (don't attempt that if you don't know what you're doing), just don't hit the paint directly up close if it's really high pressure, keep it a foot or so away.

Zinsano Atlantic is 6000 baht,available in big C homepro etc.has plenty of power,and quite durable..they sell cheaper more compact ones also.great for washing the underside of the car and under the bonnet/hood,but for the bodywork a good wash down with shampoo and a hosepipe is fine...

if you search around you'll find a couple of posts like this before, with a bunch of recommendations.

I have been using a Karcher K7.400 for over 2 years now (replacing an old Zinsano unit) and it is easily the best PW I've ever used. It's not particularly cheap though - but I wash 3 cars and a motorbike every week, so for me it's worthwhile to buy something that gets the job done a little faster - you could be happy with something a little lower down the range.

Other accessories I use are the Angled spray lance (which is more powerful than the standard vario-lance, and can get into wheel wells, under car, high roofs etc) and an Autobrite foam lance

I wouldn't use a pressure washer on a ride. They have the habit of "forcing" water into places you don't want it to go and any grit on your paint is forced into that finished before it comes off.. sad.png

Edited by transam
  • Like 2

^ Well that's why only people who know how to use one should buy it for that purpose.

BTW OP you'll find so many additional uses for the washer once you buy it you'll wonder why you waited so long? It really got a good working out after the floods a few years ago, don't know what I would have done without it, it used so much less water and did such a better job I was cleaned up in short order while my neighbors were all still doing twice as much work and lucky to get half as good a result. It was a life saver dozens of times over.

Edited by WarpSpeed

It is still not clear if it's bad for the paint to use karcher to clean the car but I guess that all the car cleaning places also use it ?

My shop uses a pressured water hose, NOT a high pressure unit, big difference.

It is still not clear if it's bad for the paint to use karcher to clean the car but I guess that all the car cleaning places also use it ?

I use a 20 bar, 10L/min Karcher on my cars (collectively ~13M Baht). It can cut concrete, it can certainly damage tires at close range (<10cm), and it would surely cut your skin - but it's not dangerous on paint. I even spray the paint at distances of only 3-4 CM at times when I have a stubborn baked-on bug..

Don't believe the scaremongers here ;)

• Like 1

I use a 20 bar, 10L/min Karcher on my cars (collectively ~13M Baht). It can cut concrete, it can certainly damage tires at close range (<10cm), and it would surely cut your skin - but it's not dangerous on paint. I even spray the paint at distances of only 3-4 CM at times when I have a stubborn baked-on bug..

Don't believe the scaremongers here wink.png

As they say....Up to you. My chum is a paint/body man and pointed me in my direction.............smile.png

Don't believe the scaremongers here wink.png

As they say....Up to you. My chum is a paint/body man and pointed me in my direction.............smile.png

Only one possible response I can think of for that...

glad he didn't paint my cars :P

Weeeeeeeeell, that is a bit of a blind thought in my opinion. Simple stuff was pointed out to me, like, a pressure washer can penetrate door lock shutters, normal washing won't, pressure washer will get into all sorts of places where perhaps paint protection isn't there. BUT, like I said, up to you...........smile.png

I bough a Zinsano Amazon (I think Amazon?)...it's a cheap one to clean the 2 wheelers but I still have to go over each one after the first rinse with a wash mitt and detergent and use it to do the final rinse.

Will be taking it up the village to clean the tractor next visit. Will see how it goes on something a bit tougher!

Weeeeeeeeell, that is a bit of a blind thought in my opinion. Simple stuff was pointed out to me, like, a pressure washer can penetrate door lock shutters, normal washing won't, pressure washer will get into all sorts of places where perhaps paint protection isn't there. BUT, like I said, up to you...........smile.png

I think you'll find that cars just aren't as Aquaphobic as they used to be... unless it's BMW 3 series or Ford Ranger tongue.png

Common sense is still needed though - you don't go trying to blast bugs *through* radiators or intercoolers with them, you don't try to clean the inside of your locks, and you don't try to clean out your alternator with one either wink.png

Edited by IMHO
  • Like 1

I bough a Zinsano Amazon (I think Amazon?)...it's a cheap one to clean the 2 wheelers but I still have to go over each one after the first rinse with a wash mitt and detergent and use it to do the final rinse.

Will be taking it up the village to clean the tractor next visit. Will see how it goes on something a bit tougher!

If you have a slick layer of surface protection (sealant, wax or glass), use a foam lance first to get a good layer of surfactant down, and you wash regularly (no more than 7 days apart) you can avoid using a mitt altogether, for all but really heavy soling.

Mitts/sponges are bad - no matter what you do, when you hand wash you are going to damage the surface, somewhere, somehow. I've even progressed past the "2 bucket wash" and onto the "11 mitt wash" (i.e. one fresh mitt per panel) and there's still always a new swirl.. :(

The guys that come to my house to clean the AC have been using the same cheapish small yellow unit for years.

High_Pressure_Washer_Portable_High_Press

They are about 1800-2500 baht. You don't need to spend a fortune for infrequent use. Simply make sure the unit has a trigger mounted valve and an auto cut -off. Little bottle in picture is for apply the soap.

PS the extra money usually only buys you extra hose but that is also important but has to be stored somewhere.

You could get one of these

car+wash.jpg

But generally after a short period the utility functions cease to operate and maintenance goes through the roof.

I like the red one best but very high maintenance, it will finish up costing more than the car..rolleyes.gif Puts the fun back into washing cars.whistling.gif

You are aware that you can adjust the pressure just by moving the nozzle closer to or further away from the object being washed? It really isn't rocket science and very easy to adjust accordingly high pressure only applies for the first few inches away from the nozzle depending on the nozzle and the pressure output of the unit, it is only maximum pressure with approx. the first 3 to 4 inches and then drops off very quickly from there, at 8 - 10 inches it is hardly more than a fine mist spray. Up to you how close you wish to get and how much pressure you want to apply.

Edited by WarpSpeed
  • Like 1

I think you'll find that cars just aren't as Aquaphobic as they used to be... unless it's BMW 3 series or Ford Ranger tongue.png

Common sense is still needed though - you don't go trying to blast bugs *through* radiators or intercoolers with them, you don't try to clean the inside of your locks, and you don't try to clean out your alternator with one either wink.png

All good common sense advice but I'd add that even the alternator's not a problem if you follow that up with a high pressure blast of air shortly after washing it and before starting it, they are made to endure a certain amount of water exposure, like I said it isn't for an amateur necessarily and like you said it's all about common sense. After a wash I thoroughly blow dry my entire car with the leaf blower, gets the water and everything safely out of every crack and crevice and without water spots or rubbing grit into my paint.

• Like 2

All good common sense advice but I'd add that even the alternator's not a problem if you follow that up with a high pressure blast of air shortly after washing it and before starting it, they are made to endure a certain amount of water exposure, like I said it isn't for an amateur necessarily and like you said it's all about common sense. After a wash I thoroughly blow dry my entire car with the leaf blower, gets the water and everything safely out of every crack and crevice and without water spots or rubbing grit into my paint.

+1 for the leaf blower - my cars are all swirl-free due to a washing combination of foam cannon, pressure washer and leaf blower.

All good advice given here by folk who clearly know there stuff, especially the point made about them saving water by being so efficient. I've used them for over 12 years here and wouldn't be without one, great for my truck, car and bikes (but only use the vario on these), great for patio and out door furniture (not plastic) and many other uses, in fact I've just cleaned out my water tanks v quickly using it.

I've had 2 Karchers in the past and although great washers they each died after a few years of extensive use, no complaints there but I was gutted by the high cost of replacement parts such as the lances (can't remember exactly but nearly 3k each) plus Karcher do not use philip screws so you will need to get a special tool if you want to do any DIY repairs.

I decided to give Zinsano a try this time, very happy with it so far after 6 months and seems just as efficient as the Karchers. 2 other points, good to get a machine that has a metal outlet (the plastic one on my first Karcher was the first thing to break), and if your new machine only comes with a 2 pin plug (so many of them do even tho they have 3 core wiring!) change it for a 3 pin plug first thing..this could save your life.

All good advice given here by folk who clearly know there stuff, especially the point made about them saving water by being so efficient. I've used them for over 12 years here and wouldn't be without one, great for my truck, car and bikes (but only use the vario on these), great for patio and out door furniture (not plastic) and many other uses, in fact I've just cleaned out my water tanks v quickly using it.

I've had 2 Karchers in the past and although great washers they each died after a few years of extensive use, no complaints there but I was gutted by the high cost of replacement parts such as the lances (can't remember exactly but nearly 3k each) plus Karcher do not use philip screws so you will need to get a special tool if you want to do any DIY repairs.

I decided to give Zinsano a try this time, very happy with it so far after 6 months and seems just as efficient as the Karchers. 2 other points, good to get a machine that has a metal outlet (the plastic one on my first Karcher was the first thing to break), and if your new machine only comes with a 2 pin plug (so many of them do even tho they have 3 core wiring!) change it for a 3 pin plug first thing..this could save your life.

Good point in the power plug - all of these things come with Schucko plugs.

Rather than change the plug and possibly lose warranty, what I did was cut the IEC end off an earthed desktop PC power supply cable, and fitted one of these in it's place:

R0384718-01.jpg

http://thailand.rs-online.com/web/p/mains-connectors/0384718/

That way my machines get the earth they need, without losing warranty :)

If not used one before it is all to easy to aim wrong and hit your skin, I have used them for many years well over 30 years, and still at least 2x a year manage to take the skin off my toes or fingers.

Here I have and use a lot have 2.. a big B & D and a smaller Bosch.

Kaercher high pressure water cleaners have been around since around 1924..

You are aware that you can adjust the pressure just by moving the nozzle closer to or further away from the object being washed? It really isn't rocket science and very easy to adjust accordingly high pressure only applies for the first few inches away from the nozzle depending on the nozzle and the pressure output of the unit, it is only maximum pressure with approx. the first 3 to 4 inches and then drops off very quickly from there, at 8 - 10 inches it is hardly more than a fine mist spray. Up to you how close you wish to get and how much pressure you want to apply.

Yes I am aware, my UK workshop had one and I have one here now to blast the drive way tiles etc.

As I said before, up to you and the reader here eh. smile.png

They have plastic bodies and handles no need to do that, that's why they don't have a ground lug as they're double insulated..

I can only speak for the Karcher I'm using, and it needs an earth - here's a pic:

post-163537-0-60964500-1399783601_thumb.

top-left - Karcher plug (Shucko with earth)

top-right - Bosch trimmer plug (Shucko w/out earth) - to illustrate the difference between an earthed and non-earthed Shucko plug

bottom - my modded extension cable with Shucko earthed socket

Both Shucko plug types will go into a standard Thai socket, but the earthed type will not get an earth!

Edited by IMHO