ugly "driver support" malware removal

d2g

While downloading Chrome browser to new computer I mistakenly also downloaded an ugly malware product called "driver support"

It cannot be removed from Control Panel "uninstall program"

Malware bytes doesn't remove it.

CCleaner doesn't remove it.

Google search for removal advice only turns up more phony crap from the same group that makes it.

If anyone knows how to remove it I will be very grateful for advice/suggestions.

Thanks

A. Control Panel | Recovery | System Restore

as it's a new system, returns system back to state prior to last installs. Though the malware will probably have disabled this route.

B. From PC World

[...] try running System Restore in Safe Mode: Boot your PC and press F8 just before Windows starts loading. Getting the timing right can be tricky; you mayneed to press and release it over and over until you get the desired result.

040520safe20mode-11341612.jpg

That result is a simple, text-based menu. Use the keyboard arrow keys to select Safe Mode. Then launch System Restore as described above.

If that doesn't work, Windows 7 users have another option: the Windows 7 System Repair Disc.

To create it, in Windows 7, select Start,type system repair disc, press ENTERand follow the prompts. You'll need a blank CD-R and an optical drive that can burn one.

Once the disc is burned, leave it in the drive and reboot your PC. Keep an eye on the screen. When you're prompted to "Press any key;" do so.

Follow the prompts until you get to the "Choose a recovery tool" page. Then select System Restore.

040520reapir20disc-11341604.jpg

C. ...and, also, since you say it's a new computer, if the above doesn't work, you can just to a Full OS Re-install.

• Like 1

System restore is the answer. You don't need to get into safe mode to use it. System Restore works outside the windows environment (during shut down and restart)

You can just click the start button and type in system restore, open the icon that appears and run it. That icon may say "create a restore point" but once you open it, it will give you the system restore option.

Choose a restore point that was made before you downloaded your turkey.

Edit. Shut off your antivirus software before running system restore. At least AVG will keep it from working. After the computer shuts itself down and restarts for system restore, you'll get a pop-up window telling you if system restore was successful. If it wasn't it's usually a malware tool you have that blocked it. I wonder if that's why some just say to start in safe mode?

Edited by NeverSure

Thanks very much for the timely and effective responses.

I will keep this information for referral if I get caught out again.

I have also found out "Revo Uninstaller" is a potent tool for this type problem.

It removed the "driver support" PUP.

Microsoft software malware removal, Malwarebytes, CCleaner and normal Control panel uninstallation all failed

Revo also removed all the stray trash the PUP installed in registry, etc.

• Like 1

I also had a similar problem with a malware program. Whatever, I did, it just kept coming back.

Anyway, I finally got rid of it by searching the files on the C Drive and discovered another version of it hidden away in a different folder.

So, basically, I searched all the folders and looked for programs that had been loaded on the day and deleted the ones that I didn't know.

Anyway, 1 file wouldn't let me delete it so I looked in task manager and sure enough it was running so I stopped it and the deleted it.

Result no more malware.

Hope this makes sense.

• Like 2

System restore is the answer. You don't need to get into safe mode to use it. System Restore works outside the windows environment (during shut down and restart)

You can just click the start button and type in system restore, open the icon that appears and run it. That icon may say "create a restore point" but once you open it, it will give you the system restore option.

Choose a restore point that was made before you downloaded your turkey.

Edit. Shut off your antivirus software before running system restore. At least AVG will keep it from working. After the computer shuts itself down and restarts for system restore, you'll get a pop-up window telling you if system restore was successful. If it wasn't it's usually a malware tool you have that blocked it. I wonder if that's why some just say to start in safe mode?

Are you still using AVG?