Do's and Don'ts of Thailand ... simplified guide for newbies

David48

Do's and Don'ts of Thailand ... simplified

Interesting this ... a Fillie Female perspective

OH ... if only I seen this before I came to Thailand ... my life would have been so much easier.

At 3.22 ... I was ... whistling.gif and cheesy.gif and laugh.png

Enjoy ...

• Like 2

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny about the fan as that is how I turn it on at home. If they wanted you to use your hands they would put the switches up higher. biggrin.png

When I arrived here for military assignment decades ago they would give all of us a wallet size card with all the Do's and Don'ts on it. Perhaps TAT should give that some thought. wink.png

//edit - just asked my wife how she normally turns the floor fan on. She went and used her hand, then asked about using her foot and she promptly turned it on with her foot. But she said it was no problem around family and close friends but was a major no-no around guests. Learned something new.

• Like 2

I must admit i have 'blown up' over things on occasion, more so when i first moved here and caused my wife embarassment and loss of face,this is mostly fixed by a trip to the gold shop the next day,it was starting to hurt my wallet ,so i now have a much more 'my pen rai' attitude.

Very informative, but I am a little fed up, everybody telling me what I shouldn't do in Thailand.

And NO, I'm not going back to my country, I love it here.

Try spinning stuff your way some times. For example, whenever a family member gets into my car I won't move off until they've all got their seat belts on, front and tear. At first, everyone of them liked to tell me how it wasn't required under Thai law, to which I replied, 'My car, my law'. Now they all buckle up accordingly.

My family never loses sight that I'm a foriegner and that I have my own set of beliefs. Works both ways.

Being in public is an entirely different matter.

You lost the game there. I made the same rules and now I don't need to drive around any family members anymore biggrin.png

• Like 2

Is she Thai or Pinoy? Anyway, good basic advice and I bet she has a good giggle at all the moaning farangs on Thai Visa

Pinoy of course. Ever heard a Thai women speak English that fluently?

Oops, that comparison whas a Don't do biggrin.png

And yes I also use my toe to operate these fan buttons.

No other surprise in the video, but a nice piece of education!

Is she Thai or Pinoy? Anyway, good basic advice and I bet she has a good giggle at all the moaning farangs on Thai Visa

Yes, Benjawan Poomsan and many more. Says more about you than Thai women who speak English.

• Like 1

If they dont want people using their feet to turn off the fans - put the buttons on the top of it.

These fans are all Japanese or Thai Brands, surely they would have known better. Maybe they were made only for people who sit on the floor?

• Like 1

Yes, have heard Thai women speak English that fluently, however none of them emanated from the bars, pubs or clubs.

Never ceases to amaze me how many people think like this and yes it speaks volumes about something and it's not Thai women. (or men for that matter). ;)

• Like 2

And there you have it, you can't go wrong. Well done.

you can't go wrong except for having maybe to endure overwhelming boredom.

Well JL,

Not everybody is a Thai expert like you old chap. Perhaps it was aimed at others with a little less experience, perhaps.

Hint; the word newbie I. the title gave that away, me thinks ;)

Funny video, but at the same time, it points out some idiocies that are commonplace in Thailand.

Although not mentioned in the video, tipping money at a restaurant/bar in Thailand is a "Western" thing, although today even some generous Thais are doing it as well. One time I wanted to tip a bar 20 baht, but using spare change that I had (mostly 1 baht coins). They would not take it!... and even shouted at me for even offering it. It was not because they did not want the tip, but because it was all coins. So apparently these particular Thais felt that there is more value to a 20 baht note than to 20 baht of change. Seems to me that they are equals amounts. Anyhow, I gave them a 20 baht note, and in addition, I tossed the coins on the floor (oooh, a faux pas in Thailand!). I figure they would pick them up after I left the bar, like dogs picking up scraps.

As for footwear in the house, I presume most Thais take off their shoes to prevent tracking dirt/dust into their houses. This makes sense. Yet for some reason, at my home (in Thailand) I have to sweep the floor (Note: I do not have a work permit!) on a daily basis. I guess bare-feet also track in dirt/dust.

Edited by Gumballl

Am I the only one that wants to strangle this idiot?

Which idiot ?

Sorry. Re BJ's Code of conduct for a happy life in Thailand: You 'da man. Couldn''t have said it better myself. I've run out of likes today so +1. That's a fact, Jack. That one should be pinned.

Edited by JLCrab

good effort. and shows one of the benefits of dating a filipino; they can speak english!

just a reminder for some of you guys out there; you DONT wai someone of lower status; dont walk into restaurants, hotels, shops, etc. and start waiing all and sundry, you only embarrass the staff, make them feel uncomfortable show your cultural ignorance.

• Like 2

good effort. and shows one of the benefits of dating a filipino; they can speak english!

just a reminder for some of you guys out there; you DONT wai someone of lower status; dont walk into restaurants, hotels, shops, etc. and start waiing all and sundry, you only embarrass the staff, make them feel uncomfortable show your cultural ignorance.

I am so old, I do not wai anyone.