Do's and Don'ts of Thailand ... simplified guide for newbies

David48

And there you have it, you can't go wrong. Well done.

you can't go wrong except for having maybe to endure overwhelming boredom.

Couldnt agree more. I've been hammered on this forum for my Weekend Warrior ways, but absolutely none of that vid was in any way revelatory or even humorous. Loles is right about the lady herself - classic Gen Y wannabe-cool-chick with a mid-Pacific accent : do they make these people in a factory somewhere on Guam ?

The 'no public affection' mantra seems to be severely at odds with the way many of the current crop of Thai teens are on the Skytrain and escalators in the malls and I doubt if most Thais under 40 even bat an eyelid when it comes to Farang not knowing how to act in public. I know SFA about Thai culture - arguably less with each layer of the onion - but I'd put my miniscule understanding up against our GenY expert any day of the week. I dont know a single Thai who wont agree with me when I cite Bangkok as having some of the worst traffic in the region - not one - if it's seen as a criticism of their country they must have learnt to deal with that a very long time ago. I believe our friend gleaned most of her unique cultural insights from a 10-year old copy of Loony Planet's Guide to Thai Culture - pass.

• Like 1

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My advice is Dont

1. dont involve yourself with Thai men in situations where you are likely to disagree with them or be better than them at some task (even sport)

2. dont react to the constant smiles that you will observe. they are rarely genuine or reflect what you would think.

3. don't forget that you have entered into a fully undeveloped country even though the malls look nice and there are some good hotels (think North Korea or Afghanistan with perhaps better looking people)

4. dont forget that you have your own culture which is very likely superior in many ways. its fine to be mindful of thai culture but dont think you have to betray your own all the time

Do

1. treat thai people with complete detachment - and never expect more from them

2. remember at all times that thai culture dictates that in interacting with you they are highly encouraged to tell you exactly what they think you want to hear to make you feel good or let down your guard (things are rarely what they seem)

3. try your best to limit your interaction with thais to controlled situation (buying food, going to work if an expat, etc. Try not to have too many thai people in your life as it increases your risk)

You're being sarcastic right?

I'm more inclined to leave it at 'cynical', but I have no doubt that he is serious.

• Like 1

My advice is Dont

1. dont involve yourself with Thai men in situations where you are likely to disagree with them or be better than them at some task (even sport)

2. dont react to the constant smiles that you will observe. they are rarely genuine or reflect what you would think.

3. don't forget that you have entered into a fully undeveloped country even though the malls look nice and there are some good hotels (think North Korea or Afghanistan with perhaps better looking people)

4. dont forget that you have your own culture which is very likely superior in many ways. its fine to be mindful of thai culture but dont think you have to betray your own all the time

Do

2. remember at all times that thai culture dictates that in interacting with you they are highly encouraged to tell you exactly what they think you want to hear to make you feel good or let down your guard (things are rarely what they seem)

3. try your best to limit your interaction with thais to controlled situation (buying food, going to work if an expat, etc. Try not to have too many thai people in your life as it increases your risk)

You've obviously never been to Afghanistan. By comparison Thailand is paradise. There may be a couple of sub Saharan countries that are as poor and under developed as Afghanistan but Thailand doesn't come close. Kabul is one of the few capital cities in the world that has no sewerage system. That's how backward it is.

Sent from my KFTT using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

My advice is Dont

Do

You must have an horrible life if I was a Christian I pray for you... Now I just. Have a beer...

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met behulp van Tapatalk

Some info on 'Stephanie'. ESL teacher in Thailand currently Nonthaburi, B.A. in Theology. Seems to be a pretty cool girl. Several YouTube videos of her classes and interaction with Thais.

I guess we differ on the term 'cool', but I can see that she would be a hit in a classroom situation with a certain age group. Natalie is a whole lot cuter, has a genuine Aussie accent, but I still find her vids annoying - I guess its the sense that they feel the need to share every single conscious thought in classic social media fashion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAXy9o2GuO8

Some info on 'Stephanie'. ESL teacher in Thailand currently Nonthaburi, B.A. in Theology. Seems to be a pretty cool girl. Several YouTube videos of her classes and interaction with Thais.

I guess we differ on the term 'cool', but I can see that she would be a hit in a classroom situation with a certain age group. Natalie is a whole lot cuter, has a genuine Aussie accent, but I still find her vids annoying - I guess its the sense that they feel the need to share every single conscious thought in classic social media fashion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAXy9o2GuO8

MrWw ... the comparisions don't match.

The OP is about a foreign female discussing her take on Thailand.

The one you offer is about an Australian, born and raised in Australia ... talking about, well, Australia.

Who, btw, swears a lot.

Elephants_zpsb52ebc80.png

Edited by David48

Basically, you're saying she's one who admires herself in the mirror...or a tragic catch...or "immediately" (after admiring its body) throw it back in!. This & that "Dave" OP is very Dave. Someone needs to live in a village for awhile & experience real Thailand, not tourist Redlight districts.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Your pictures didn't come through, but no matter, your defense is useless. Or another thing that doesn't matter. People need to realize that the Redlight districts don't represent the country & Thai culture is Asian culture. Stupid or ignorant people tend to ignore the rest of a region which isn't only large but can span several countries/cultures. But very many white stupid people out there.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand