Is it worth shipping back a box full of items?

Hal65

For those of you guys who've looked into shipping back stuff you acquired while over in Thailand, what were the costs for sea freight? Right now I'm weighing the costs/benefits of shipping back about 50 pounds of extra stuff that I can't take on the plane.

50 pounds? That's one suitcase on most airlines. Google excess baggage and your airline.

I mean 50 pounds/1 box over the airline limits. Let's exclude the airline as a possibility for this; I want to hear from people who've used freight carriers.

50 pounds? That's one suitcase on most airlines. Google excess baggage and your airline.

I mean 50 pounds/1 box over the airline limits. Let's exclude the airline as a possibility for this; I want to hear from people who've used freight carriers.

i also would be interested as i have a few items that wont fit in a suitcase - paintings etc !

There are other threads about sending material. I use ThaiPost, which will handle boxes up to 30 kg each, although you need to confirm the receiving postal service will accept something that size.

Sorry I don't have the URL, but you can do a search and find all the information about the postal service. It is really quite good - I'm in Canada now and have just received two boxes about 25 kg each which were sent by surface mail late in March.

You can sent it shipping as a part container. I was quoted to Europe, about 9k for first metre cubed and 5.5k for each meter cubed thereafter (that's baht of course) - that includes everything except import taxes at destination and any storage fees. That was from CM to Spain by the way - to UK was similar. If you have enough, which you don't by the sounds of it, a 20 foot container is about 180k including paperwork and packing. You might find it cheaper - just guide prices I was quoted a month ago.

You might want to investigate what they airlines would charge for that extra piece. Or for overweight bags. Might work out economically to do this.

I had a friend send 13 boxes to the US a few years ago. 12 made it. One ended up in Spain and she got a request for $100 to get the box out of "customs". Crazy.

Last week I sent my marriage photo, with frame, back to America. It weighed 6 kg (roughly 15 pounds) and I was charged 1300 baht. I should have it within the next 3 months

how wide/long is it? and how did you package it - i mean did you use a box and bubble wrap etc? did you just take ti to post office - EMS or whatever?

would appreciate any advice :)

thanks

Last week I sent my marriage photo, with frame, back to America. It weighed 6 kg (roughly 15 pounds) and I was charged 1300 baht. I should have it within the next 3 months

how wide/long is it? and how did you package it - i mean did you use a box and bubble wrap etc? did you just take ti to post office - EMS or whatever?

would appreciate any advice smile.png

thanks

sorry for the delayed response. the marriage frame was approx. 37 inches wide/24 inches long and 1 1/2 inches thick.