For Canadian expats receiving OAS or CPP cheques in baht

PMK

If you are in this category, this may be of interest to you. You’ve probably received notification that paper cheques will be discontinued next year along with an application for direct deposit service.

And if you’ve followed up at your bank you’ve probably had a very frustrating experience being told that the only transfer code they have is the SWIFT code, not the 7 digit (actually 6 – see below) one the form insists you must have. If you want to set up direct deposit, the following is one way.

UOB does have the required code (I don’t know its formal name), but not all the staff at your branch may know about it and it varies according to branch. Therefore I suggest when you request their assistance on details of the form, you have some sample codes which may help them track it down. I’ve provided two.

You can open an account at UOB with the following. Nothing else is required. That is not to say it’s the only way nor that UOB is the only possible bank (although I suspect it is), but if you have a 1 year non-imm O visa, this is all you need to both open the account and get the direct deposit form completed.

Passport with 1 year non-immigrant 0 visa.

THB 50,000 minimum deposit (can be immediately withdrawn)

They will probably pressure you to buy health insurance. That is not required. Same goes for a Visa card, but I do suggest the 400 baht/year ATM card.

Some staff may be hesitant to sign the form or chase down the code. Just politely but firmly explain the direct deposit is the only reason you are opening the account: no code, no signature = no new account, and all the signature is for is confirmation that the account name matches the account number.

As stated, for the deposit form, you may initially be told there is no 7 digit account number. In fact it is 6 digit, and Canada adds another one for processing – you need not be concerned about that nor bring it up. The point is they may not be familiar with anything but the SWIFT code. Once you do have the 6 digit number from them enter it on the form.

Sample codes are: 024081 (Pattaya – 2nd road)

024017 (Chiang Mai)

If you don’t have a form, they are downloadable from http://www.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca/recgen/dd/form/th-eng.html or if the URL cannot be posted here, do a search at servicecanada on “Thailand Direct Deposit Enrolment Form”