May 11, 201412 yr HI folks, I had been in Thailand for some 8 or so years, before leaving in January to go an help a buddy with a start-up company for a few months. Now, it's been so long since I originally applied for the very first Non-Immigrant Type I visa all those years ago, that I need a little advice. I will be flying back to Thailand at the end of June. Now, should I apply for a type O (based on visiting a child not a wife) before Fly to Thailand, or should I apply for a tourist visa and then apply for extension of stay as an type O? Additionally, I believe I now have to show 400k, that needs to be in a Thai bank account, 3 months prior to the visa application? If so, I've missed the deadline, as I only have 7 weeks before I enter Thailand again, and this would potentially stop me receiving a type O? Sorry for all the questions, I've been out of touch for years. Thanks in advance.
May 11, 201412 yr Are you the legal father of your child by marriage or legitimization, If not you will not be able to get an extension of stay based upon having a Thai child without that proof. The 400k baht does not have to be in the bank for any amount of time for this extension (at most offices others it is 60 days). If possible you should get a single entry non-o visa before traveling. If you only get a tourist visa you would have to do a change of visa status to obtain a 90 day non immigrant visa entry. Then during the last 30 days of that entry you could apply for the extension of stay, You can only do the change of visa status based upon having a Thai child at Bangkok immigration.
May 11, 201412 yr Author Thanks very much. As far as legal father goes, I my name is on the birth document. However, I a little research shows I should have also done something else that registers him as mine. So I guess the plan should be this then... Try and get a single entry non-O before I fly. Do the registration of the child as mine thing. Transfer in 400k. Apply for extension of stay. Does that sound right?
May 11, 201412 yr Thanks very much. As far as legal father goes, I my name is on the birth document. However, I a little research shows I should have also done something else that registers him as mine. So I guess the plan should be this then... Try and get a single entry non-O before I fly. Do the registration of the child as mine thing. Transfer in 400k. Apply for extension of stay. Does that sound right? No It is very doubt full you will get a Non o based on having a child if you have not legitimised it through the courts you need to be married to go the 400k way if not, the only other way is 800k retirement but again need to be over 50yrs
May 11, 201412 yr Author Yes, my response indicated I would do the legitimization thing and then apply for the extension of stay. Can't do the married route, not married anymore
May 11, 201412 yr Yes, my response indicated I would do the legitimization thing and then apply for the extension of stay. Can't do the married route, not married anymore you will need to get it legitimized first.
May 11, 201412 yr Author Ahh, so it's get a tourist visa, legitimize, convert visa, then apply for extension. Thanks.
May 11, 201412 yr He can get the single entry non-o without being the legal father. The legitimization is only needed for multiple entry non-o visas, You should read this topic abut How To Gain Parental Rights As A Father Unless your child is 7 years or older that would allow you to do the legitimization at an Amphoe is can take several months to do it through the court. If you can get the non-o visa it would give you a 90 day entry that you could extend for 60 days to visit your child.
May 11, 201412 yr Author Thanks guys, yes he won't be 7 until November, so I might just have time to do this. Actually, looking at that post that you linked too, he only needs to be 7 to declare his own wishes. His mother fully agress with me legitimizing him, so that's not a problem. We are the best of friends, just can't live together Edited May 11, 201412 yr by Cam Khao
May 11, 201412 yr Author Actually, thinking about it, I remember we did go to the local government office and have the birth registered just after he was born. At the time they took my passport to check, and gave us a document with both names on it. Could it be that he is already legitimized?
May 11, 201412 yr At 6 some Amphoe's would do it. The 7 years old number is not etched in stone it can vary.
May 11, 201412 yr Actually, thinking about it, I remember we did go to the local government office and have the birth registered just after he was born. At the time they took my passport to check, and gave us a document with both names on it. Could it be that he is already legitimized? He is not legitmized yet, but if he is 6 the local amphur might very well do it now. Try to take someone with you who is locally respected, such as a teacher. It might help and won't hurt.
May 11, 201412 yr Actually, thinking about it, I remember we did go to the local government office and have the birth registered just after he was born. At the time they took my passport to check, and gave us a document with both names on it. Could it be that he is already legitimized? Unless you were married when the child was born you would not be the legal father.
Create an account or sign in to comment