Donovan Visit in Pattaya

johnnort

My neighbour here on the Eastern Seaboard, Gypsy Dave was 60s singing icon, Donovans right hand man and is still a close friend speaking with him most weeks. Gypsy is trying to encourage Donovan to visit Thailand first as a friend but also to perform a concert or two at a couple of smallish/medium venues. He does still perform around the World singing his hits like Mellow Yellow and the Hurdy Gurdy Man together with more recent songs that he is continually writing, but has yet to visit the LOS.

I am writing this to determine if he is still remembered by the masses here and how much support would he receive from you guys if he could be persuaded to honour us with a concert in Pattaya . Let me know.

TO THE ADMINISTRATORS

This was first posted on the General Forum but was then transferred to Entertainment by the Administrators. I had trouble finding the Entertainment Forum and when I eventually did found it was under the title of Farang Pub. Administrators please, as any proposed concert will take place in Pattaya, allow this to be posted in the Pattaya Forum so that as many people as possible will view it.

Thank you to all those that did find this post somewhere and took the time to answer. I will keep all informed, although it may take some time.

Topic title altered from all caps

I remember him back in the sixties whilst he was working his way up playing in the folk clubs around North London and Hertfordshire.

If I happen to be in Patts when he plays, I would go to see him for sure.

So a silly post from someone who knows someone who knows Donovan has turned after only 4 posts into, he's gonna play in Pattaya ?coffee1.gif

I guess another 5 posts and there will be pre-bookings and comments on the venue where he's gonna play.

Edited by JesseFrank

Jesse. I believed the title had to be changed to allow it to be posted elsewhere as is the case with Angloinfo. I wanted to give the Administrators a reason for the post to be left on another forum. As was always the case, a concert was always going to be played at Pattaya. Gypsy, my nextdoor neighbour has posted on facebook. TV was left to me because I am a member and he is not. Gypsy is a member of Donovans band. It was my idea to get feedback. And why not?? If the post had remained on the General forum there would have been no need to post elsewhere. It was lost in ¨Farang Pub¨.

I hate to say but you are one of those members that send prospective members far away from this site. You are not alone, as for every post, one will find argumentative time wasters such as yourself.When TV is brought up in conversation there are more people dissing the site, exampling (!?!) comments like yours, than there are praising it! Feel proud!!!

Edited by johnnort
  • Like 2

There is an active and vibrant music scene here in Pattaya. With some pretty famous musicians. Venues tend to be on the smaller side, unless you book into places like The Blues Factory, Hard Rock, etc. Depends on what he's looking to do.

There is a private Facebook group for professional musicians here. Let me know if you are interested.

Jesse. I believed the title had to be changed to allow it to be posted elsewhere as is the case with Angloinfo. I wanted to give the Administrators a reason for the post to be left on another forum. As was always the case, a concert was always going to be played at Pattaya. Gypsy, my nextdoor neighbour has posted on facebook. TV was left to me because I am a member and he is not. Gypsy is a member of Donovans band. It was my idea to get feedback. And why not?? If the post had remained on the General forum there would have been no need to post elsewhere. It was lost in ¨Farang Pub¨.

I hate to say but you are one of those members that send prospective members far away from this site. You are not alone, as for every post, one will find argumentative time wasters such as yourself.When TV is brought up in conversation there are more people dissing the site, exampling (!?!) comments like yours, than there are praising it! Feel proud!!!

Now you're talking again about a concert, and in reality your neighbor hasn't even be able to persuade Donovan from VISIT Thailand , so all you are talking about things Donovan hasn't no clue about.

If there is one example of putting the cart before the horse, ten it must be this.

Keep in mind this is not the wet dreams forum.

I always thought he was a pretty watered down Bob Dylan, a bit too Patchouli oil and tie dyed kaftans for my tastes. Has he done anything memorable since Mellow Yellow and Hurdy Gurdy man?

The UK's answer to Bob Dylan. About a year ago I watched a documentary about Donovan in the UK. He's not a shy or modest man - far from it. He recorded Hurdy Gurdy man with two session musicians called Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones and reckons the structure of HG Man was the basis for Led Zep's Stairway to Heaven. If he were to perform in Pattaya I'd recommend seeing him; not just for the many well known songs in his repertoire; but also for the in- between-songs chat which would probably be worth any admittance fee on it's own. A real living legend.

I would not go as far as to say he is a living legend, but he was a talented folk singer.

In the chilly hours and minutes of uncertainty, I want to, in the warm hold of your lovin mind. Yes, I will come down to Pattaya and see him.

But a real folk singing legend would be someone like Pete Seeger.

I am lucky to have a brother 7 years older so was listening to "From a Flower to a Garden" double and not much later if I recall "Donovans Greatest Hits". Apart from my teenage and ongoing penchant for Californian Rock of the seventies and lots of other music styles then and since it seems Donovan, Hendrix, Cream and Mike Bloomfield, Al Kooper and Stephen Stills "Supersession" were my starting point for a life of modern music thanks to my bro. At 10 years I listened to this stuff over and over and still have a lot of it, digital or digitised these days of course.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

In the chilly hours and minutes of uncertainty, I want to, in the warm hold of your lovin mind. Yes, I will come down to Pattaya and see him.

But a real folk singing legend would be someone like Pete Seeger.

Sadly though Pete Seeger is dead...RIP

Thanks to everyone; there certainly is a knowledge base out there! Keep the responses coming if you wish as they are interesting and useful. Gypsy has and will continue to make a record of your responses and will speak with Donovan, who incidentally has no knowledge about this post. I am helping Gypsy Dave in enticing his colleague and soul mate over for a visit. We are not getting any younger!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Yeah used to love his music, sort of the Brit Dylan. Would never visit the cess pool Pattaya even if Sabbath were playing.

You just couldn't help yourself, could you?

Yes, I used to be a fan of Donovan, way back when. I had no idea he was still living, and even performing. I live in Pattaya, and would be delighted to see him in concert here. Would that be more possible than trying to catch the wind?