Transgender Thais and Eurovison; long live the Queen

Conchita Wurst's triumphant entry in this year’s Eurovision competition was a glory that transcended gender and sexuality; it was a stunning victory for transgender people.

The ancient Greek philosopher Plato taught us to "know thyself" but Conchita Wurst single-handedly updated that to a 21st century sensibility- "know thyself and be thyself"

This bearded talented glamor-queen belted out spirited gospel with stunning sensuality and ambivalence, capturing hearts worldwide.

Her victory is a victory for all the transgender people represented here in Thailand-it promotes unequivocal humanity and respect.

Conchita's success is a victory for compassion, and for the disavowing of stereotypes. But most of all it is jubilation for the recognition of the potential for all people to self-actualize if they have raw talent; and they can do it unashamedly, unabashed, make no excuses.

Thai transgender people can hold their heads high because of this rambunctious performer and we are all the better for it. Long live the queen.

I found her/his ... be let's respect the performers wishes and call her 'her' ... I found her performance entertaining.

A winner ... based on the song, maybe not.

Based on Eurovision embracing tolerance ... sure ... 100%.

I do find her name of 'Wurst' German for Sausage, as amusing ... she's certaily able to take the piss out of herself.

I think it was disgusting and HE has no great talent.

Just as those who embrace the new tolerance have the right to express their opinions those of us who find public displays of sexuality distasteful have the right to express our opinions.

If HE's really transgender then he wants to be a woman so why the beard?

He was born a male and no amount of pretending otherwise will change that.

You do realize that some men who dress as women are only attracted to women so this has nothing to do with homosexuality.

• Like 2

]

Her victory is a victory for all the transgender people represented here in Thailand-it promotes unequivocal humanity and respect.

So you are suggesting that all ladyboys are now going to let their beard grow???

To make it clear: "Conchita Wurst" - by her own recognition - is NOT a transgender, "she" is a drag queen / a perfomance artist / an artificial alter ego of the homosexual man Tom Neuwirth..

• Like 2

no it is not.

This guy isn't transgender. It is a normal gay man, who took women clothes and a beard to provoke.

That causes that people who don't want to look intolerant or homophobic better vote for him. If you don't like his music and don't vote for him, people would call you homophobic.

It would be a victory, if no one would really mention it and if he would be judged on his show and not on his beard and sex.

Or would you think that a real woman, slightly overweight would have won with exactly the same song?

• Like 2

no it is not.

This guy isn't transgender. It is a normal gay man, who took women clothes and a beard to provoke.

That causes that people who don't want to look intolerant or homophobic better vote for him. If you don't like his music and don't vote for him, people would call you homophobic.

It would be a victory, if no one would really mention it and if he would be judged on his show and not on his beard and sex.

Or would you think that a real woman, slightly overweight would have won with exactly the same song?

Depends on if she had a beard or not, I guess

I found her/his ... be let's respect the performers wishes and call her 'her' ... I found her performance entertaining.

I do find her name of 'Wurst' German for Sausage, as amusing ... she's certaily able to take the piss out of herself.

Did you try to google translate his first name? Conchita... from Spanish to English.

Then it will all make sense

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Did you try to google translate his first name? Conchita... from Spanish to English.

google translate can't

But he is Austrian. Wurst can also mean "all the same" or "doesn't matter". It depends on where you use it if it means sausage or "all the same".

google translate can't

post-198028-13998808628553_thumb.jpg

cheesy.gifclap2.gif

He is NOT a transgender person!

He's a gay man who does DRAG QUEEN performance art.

Is it really rocket science for some people to learn the difference between gay man and transgender person?

There was already LONG AGO an ACTUAL transgender person who won Eurovision --

DANA INTERNATIONAL

post-37101-0-78454400-1399881611_thumb.j

post-37101-0-27418600-1399881292_thumb.j

(Duh.)

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

google translate can't

w00t.gif.pagespeed.ce.fUUOmDCInI.gif

Edited by h90

But he is Austrian. Wurst can also mean "all the same" or "doesn't matter". It depends on where you use it if it means sausage or "all the same".

So the name in Thai would be Khun Mai-Pen-Rai! Hilarious!

Btw, some numpty news presenter on a Thai TV channel announced that the this year's Eurovision winner is Australian.... facepalm.gif

Edited by Morakot
  • Like 2

google translate can't

Conchita Wurst = Pussy Sausage

• Like 1

Eurovision is not only about the song or talent. It's about the entire show business package. Yes, including some politics. His song was good, his singing talent was very good (and if you deny that, sorry, you're obviously just biased because of his drag persona, he OBJECTIVELY has singing talent), and his bearded lady schtick was the right thing at the right time. It's part of his staging and show aspect. That's always a factor. If he had just showed up in the outfit and the song and talent had been crap, he would have gotten nothing.

Watching the show last night, the best overall shows in my opinion were Denmark, Sweden, Spain, Russia, Hungary, the U.K. and the winner Austria. I know the Netherlands did really well but I didn't get it, a country western act for Eurovision is weird ...

Israel in the semifinals got shafted not making it to the final. Politics? Yes, I think so too.

Edited by Jingthing

Talent, no doubt, but personally I thought the individual "looked" hideous and I wondered if it wasnt actually offensive to some transgender persons, almost came across as taking the mick by leaving the beard, it left no doubt it was a man in a dress that was performing and was some kind of pc statement and angle to gain votes.

sorry guys, seems to be an issue doing a multi-quote over 2 pages.

@ CharlieH

Talent, no doubt, but personally I thought the individual "looked" hideous and I wondered if it wasnt actually offensive to some transgender persons, almost came across as taking the mick by leaving the beard, it left no doubt it was a man in a dress that was performing and was some kind of pc statement and angle to gain votes.

@Jingthing

He's a drag queen act and not a transgender person. He has never suggested that he is. Transgender people know that better than anyone. Are they insulted? I don't know. Maybe ask some.

Is there anywhere where she/he states (in English) how she/he prefers to be viewed?

EDIT ... formatting

Edited by David48

I read one article that quoted him as stating "neautral gender", another Polish article stated him as transgender, the most common seems to be drag queen/artist.

Good article with many pics at various events etc....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2625866/Winner-whisker-Austrias-bearded-lady-conquers-Eurovision-Russias-rage.html

post-109645-0-23990100-1399978170_thumb.

Edited by CharlieH

I read one article that quoted him as stating "neautral gender", another Polish article stated him as transgender, the most common seems to be drag queen/artist.

Anyone can easily find a consensus of sources that HE (HIS name is Tom Neuwirth) is identified in his actual life outside performance as GAY MAN and does NOT identify as having a FEMALE gender (as a transgender person would).

Let's put this one to bed, shall we?facepalm.gif

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/27/conchita-wurst-eurovision-_n_5217410.html

Armenian Eurovision contender Aram MP3, a 30-year-old man whose real name is Aram Sargsyan, said Wurst's way of life was "not natural" and she should decide to be a woman or a man.

Wurst shot back: "I told him I don't want to be a woman. I am just a working queen and a very lazy boy at home."

Edited by Jingthing