Pulitzer reporters may face arrest in Thailand: police

Lite Beer

This reminds me of a similar story...

The pilot and co pilot of the Apache helicopters shooting the reuters journalists and the civilians, including children! Despite the proof, the film and the arguments they did not get suspended, did not go to jail might not even get a reprimand BUT the guy who reported them, Bradley Manning is in US jail for a very long time... and many others very similar...

How come we are so critical of the Army in Thailand while we have nothing to say about the US?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonder if this cop is just talking out of his behind --- makes no sense if you read the article. I remember reading it and thought it included two sides of the story including the denial (and some admissions) from the Navy and Thai officials of the accusations made by other sources in the article. No way the charge can stick against them for reporting what both sides of a story said. I understood the charges (right or wrong) against the Phuket reporters because they lifted one paragraph from the Reuters story and am sure it was not the official's denial of the claims.

I wonder how the law works beyond somebody being able to levy charges like this against another. Do the complainant have to show any proof initially or does that only happen after the hall the person in to answer the charges.

Something sounds funky here even for Thailand ... maybe they are being summoned to make statements to help prosecute the two in Phuket.

Edited by JohnThailandJohn
  • Like 1

This reminds me of a similar story...

The pilot and co pilot of the Apache helicopters shooting the reuters journalists and the civilians, including children! Despite the proof, the film and the arguments they did not get suspended, did not go to jail might not even get a reprimand BUT the guy who reported them, Bradley Manning is in US jail for a very long time... and many others very similar...

How come we are so critical of the Army in Thailand while we have nothing to say about the US?

Because this is Thaivisa.com, not americaisbad.com

• Like 1

How to turn a regional stink into a unavoidable world wide stench.

Yes they do seem bound and determined to add to the image Thailand is getting.

I really liked this bit.cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

"If they do not come, arrest warrants will be issued," he said, adding that the summonses would be sent to Reuters' overseas headquarters.

I hope they include a warrant for Thaksin's arrest in with them.clap2.gif

I hope the Thai Navy and judicial system pursue this matter as aggressively as possible to the very end. I also hope the whole world takes note and sees how freedom of press and the judicial system works in Thailand. It might shame the government into some much needed changes.

Not as long as Thaksin is running it.sad.png

This is really entering the realms of the absurd. Please reuters, produce another piece, and another, and another.

Anyone for an expose on how much the navy paid for the carrier? Please go to war on these idiots.

As an ex Reuters tv producer and a former AP producer let me just say the three agencies ,Reuters,Associated Press and AFP do not play games like that.

Having said that I think Reuters have let the two local Thai journo's carry the can and do all the work while they have allowed a couple of employees to walk away with the prizes and claim credit for a story they were not key players in researching.

Trust me the truth will emerge here and the so called prize winners will lose face if not the prize.

Thailand is about to be downgraded by Amnesty international to the same level as Myanmar and north Korea for its human trafficking record and lack of interest in stopping the problem due to involvement of Thai immigration officials and the possibly the Navy in selling Rohingya into slavery. Its an embarrasment for Thailand but going after the messenger of the story instead of the goverment officials who committed these crimes confirms Thailand to be on the same level with Noth Korea. But then again thats how they do it in the USA as well as in war crimes reported by bradley manning who now rots in jail and domestic invasion of privacy reported by ed snowden who is trapped in Russia. What does it take to get a government thats answerable to the people?

Whos function it is to serve the people?

• Like 1

If Thailand wishes to meet international standards they need to upgrade the way they think about people with different coloured skin, culture and even religion. My Thai wifes family always refer to me by my name. They do this because they are educated enough to realise that farang/nego/keck is offensive. Alot of other Thais still refer to me as farang.

I remember a Thai referring to an Bangladeshi in a racist manner; I pointed out that Buddha came from India. He gave me the most strange look!

• Like 2

If Thailand wishes to meet international standards they need to upgrade the way they think about people with different coloured skin, culture and even religion. My Thai wifes family always refer to me by my name. They do this because they are educated enough to realise that farang/nego/keck is offensive. Alot of other Thais still refer to me as farang.

I remember a Thai referring to an Bangladeshi in a racist manner; I pointed out that Buddha came from India. He gave me the most strange look!

Probably off topic but this really confuses me. How can they be Buddhist but not know about his connections with India?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

They really are keen to focus world attention on to Thailand's treatment of the boat people.

Wouldn't it make more sense to have a thorough inquiry into the mistreatment the reporters uncovered then go after those responsible regardless of what service they are in or if they are private citizens.

That would show that Thailand is serious about combatting the problem and possibly even prevent them being dropped to No3 on the list.

There is no doubt that people smuggling is involved so surely going after those involved in the smuggling and making an attempt to stop it would be a better strategy, rather than attacking those who told you about it.

Even if it goes to the top in the service then it would be better to shut up and let it pass, for if the brass are involved then they are only putting their head in a noose by this legal action.

How about if it did get to court and the Reuters defense came out with proof of navy involvement that named names with videos and photos, not a shot in the foot but right between the eyes.

Do remember that the issue is that the Thai military is alleged to be participating in "human trafficking" and not in "smuggling." The former is a human rights violation that UN has taken issue with Thailand's ineffective prevention of the former. Judging from the Rueters report, now we know why.

Human Trafficking.

Human Smuggling.

Just semantics, something a lawyer may try to pull in court but in reality the same thing.

In this case the wording makes no difference, for the topic is about the reaction in attempting to shoot the messenger rather than doing something about a problem that obviously exists.

This is really entering the realms of the absurd. Please reuters, produce another piece, and another, and another.

Anyone for an expose on how much the navy paid for the carrier? Please go to war on these idiots.

As an ex Reuters tv producer and a former AP producer let me just say the three agencies ,Reuters,Associated Press and AFP do not play games like that.

Having said that I think Reuters have let the two local Thai journo's carry the can and do all the work while they have allowed a couple of employees to walk away with the prizes and claim credit for a story they were not key players in researching.

Trust me the truth will emerge here and the so called prize winners will lose face if not the prize.

Of course they aren't going to embark on a hatchet job.

But, the foreign press kaotaos to Thai needs a little too much, and neglects many big issues.

It isn't as though they couldn't make up one story a week about Thai corruption.

Thailand is seeming now to lead the world in shooting itself in the foot,if this plus the political chaos continues,they won't need tat any more as few will come to such a place.

Maybe they just don't want any foreign reporters here period!

Probably off topic but this really confuses me. How can they be Buddhist but not know about his connections with India?

Since he was born in lumpini they think that was a place in bangkok.

This just in: Summons to be issued to hear defamation charges to all human beings throughout the world. "Queues will be long," acknowledged Pol lt Col Maj Gen Sgt Ensign Donno wutitaknabt, "But all suspects are advised to show. Otherwise arrest warrents will be issued." The charges stem from unjustified global reaction to the lawsuit against reuters reporters who reported alledged human trafficing involvement by alledged persons not named here.

In related news, border entry points are implementing new rules barring anyone suspecteded of defamation from entering the Kingdom.

If he broke the law, he must go to jail regardless what prize he won.

And if the story is true?

If the story is true, which it is.....still he has to go to jail because TiT the centre of the universe. The navy will send their best seals to get em.

Sent from my GT-I9200 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I wonder if the Thai military realise how much this will inconvenience the reporters?

Very little. Just one more country they cannot go to, lots of others out there.

Maybe that was their intention.

By incriminating free speech the Thai military and thereby its government now draws world attention to the possibility that they should actually be demoted to a Tier III country and be sanctioned for complicity in trafficking displaced people of a neighbour country. This is becoming a public relations disaster only expected in third-world countries!

• Like 1

Robby nz, on 12 May 2014 - 21:07, said:

They really are keen to focus world attention on to Thailand's treatment of the boat people.

Wouldn't it make more sense to have a thorough inquiry into the mistreatment the reporters uncovered then go after those responsible regardless of what service they are in or if they are private citizens.

That would show that Thailand is serious about combatting the problem and possibly even prevent them being dropped to No3 on the list.

There is no doubt that people smuggling is involved so surely going after those involved in the smuggling and making an attempt to stop it would be a better strategy, rather than attacking those who told you about it.

Even if it goes to the top in the service then it would be better to shut up and let it pass, for if the brass are involved then they are only putting their head in a noose by this legal action.

How about if it did get to court and the Reuters defense came out with proof of navy involvement that named names with videos and photos, not a shot in the foot but right between the eyes.

All this, when the US is about to downgrade Thailand's human rights status even further, I really can not say what I want to as I have used most of my suspension allowances lol....

Cnxforever, on 12 May 2014 - 21:54, said:

Hahaha...what a bunch of loonies turn the world press against you clever move!

Lieutenant Somkid On-Jan is a bit naive to think they will turn themselves in to one of the most corrupt police forces in the world.

The coin always has two sides you can not break and apply laws as you please and expect others to take you seriously.

The lieutenant will soon find out that if you think you can intimidate serious reporters (not talking about Thai "reporters") you better be prepared for what's coming!

Does he really think they give a damn about the charges in Thailand?

Thailand has a serious problem when it comes to people trafficking - pure greed is the reason - deal with it - but don't shoot the messengers!

I can see it now, most, if not all, foreign media focusing on Thailand's "hidden" dirty little secrets.