Help with new book on heat/humidity issues living in Thailand

cov3_copymid.jpg

Hi this is Jack Swelters, I have posted on this site in re traditional home construction, air conditioning and thermal comfort issues. I am just now finishing a book on thermal comfort for the Bangkok city dweller, existing or prospective, who may be concerned about life in "the world's most uncomfortable city", the cost of aircon, and related problems. I have found Thaivisa very helpful in sorting out various ideas on the topic.

I would like to recruit several people who share an interest in this topic to help with either pre-publishing or technical review or editing of the ms, and will will provide a copy of the current draft to you if you are interested. If you would enjoy an effort to help I will supplement my offering with beers or a contribution to your electric bill as we might agree.

If this interests you, please PM me.

Thanks much,

Jack Swelters

Thanks for this comment, the photo is ancient and illustrates the changes in Thai tropical clothing styles but even so the immediate negative reaction may be the best guide. My alternative cover follows.

Thanks,

Jack Swelters

post-25752-0-39735900-1400045521_thumb.j

• Like 1

My major interest is in keeping cool outdoors & in marketplaces in Thailand. Feel like I'm gonna stroke out at times. Any ideas? Does the book deal w/ this?

Not directly beyond assuring that in times like the present (April May) the outdoor conditions may be beyond sustained endurance and are best avoided from 10 am to 7 pm. If it's Jatujak market you're talking about, I would say this is well into the danger zone for most foreigners especially those not acclimated.

I focus in the book on how to make the indoor conditions acceptable including times like the present with minimum use of air conditioning. Example: this rental property of my wife's is pretty pleasant even when it is hot.

Jack

post-25752-0-11248000-1400154588_thumb.j

Edited by Swelters

Thanks for this comment, the photo is ancient and illustrates the changes in Thai tropical clothing styles but even so the immediate negative reaction may be the best guide. My alternative cover follows.

Thanks,

Jack Swelters

Much better. Good Luck w ur book. I understand thé historical comment but in today's environment, it just mâkes sensé.