Wanted: Itinerary for a 4-night road trip up north

tx22cb

I have an old school friend visiting Thailand later this summer, and (amongst other things) we want to make a road trip up north from BKK. We have allocated 4 nights, and I will be driving my car (comfortable saloon, not a 4x4). We are both in our fifties.

Although I've been to Chiang Mai several times, I've always flown, so don't have experience of a road trip (routes, places of interest on the way, accommodation).

Hence would be grateful for any suggestions for an itinerary. We are interested in cultural places, scenery, historical places, renown temples, national parks, local food, can make short side trips if necessary, not too strenuous (he has dodgy ex-rugby knees), comfortable/safe hotels for the night.

We aim to start on a Monday morning from BKK and head north ..... and arrive back in BKK on the Friday. We are open to suggestions on what happens in between!

A useful template would be Day 1 - drive to A & explore X, on to B to see Y, and overnight at C (hotel Z).

I suppose "Ayutthaya" and "Sukothai" would be included somehow (but what specifically to see there?) ,,,, I draw a blank on other places of interest along the way (I'm a bit of a philistine).

Thank you in anticipation.

4 days is awfully short for a drive up to CM. Probably 9 hours, more if you make a few stops. 4 days would be perfect for a trip to Ayutthaya and Sukhothai. Both of these will take a day to explore. Sukhothai back to Bangkok is about 5 hours or so. You could easily spend 2 days there looking around.

I'd suggest you look at a site like Wiki Travel. It has some pretty good information on regions and cities here in Thailand.

4 days is awfully short for a drive up to CM. Probably 9 hours, more if you make a few stops. 4 days would be perfect for a trip to Ayutthaya and Sukhothai. Both of these will take a day to explore. Sukhothai back to Bangkok is about 5 hours or so. You could easily spend 2 days there looking around.

I'd suggest you look at a site like Wiki Travel. It has some pretty good information on regions and cities here in Thailand.

You're right, Chiang Mai needs not be part of the itinerary, as we can fly there on a separate North trip.

4 days for Upper-Middle Thailand sounds good, and thanks for the tip about Wiki Travel, which I will peruse. Thank you.

start in Bangkok

drive to Mae Sot Via Tak ( stop for the night) 1st night

head up to Mae Sariang- Mae Hong Son ( stop for the night) 2nd night

Head to Chiang Dao- Fang -Chiang Rai ( stop for the night) 3rd night

Head down to Chaing Mai ( stop for the night) or skip CM as you have been there an head down to Lampang from Chiang Rai 4th night
next day back to Bangkok

EASY

Edited by phuketrichard

Just done the route phuketrichard suggests but without his additional leg of chiangmai to chiangrai return, and its 2600kms and took us an easy 13 nights. = NOT EASY IN 5 DAYS. There is also a 30km km section south of sop moie (south of mae sariang) which is very poor, is being resurfaced, and you will struggle without 4x4.

I would suggest drive up to sukhothai heritage hotel (next to suk airport) - very nice, base yourselves there - and visit sisatchanalai, kamphaengphet and sukhothai historical parks in that order.

Ps. I would skip ayuttaya on your trip, busy town and ruins I suggest are far more impressive and you can get the whole historical park to yourselves (not sukothai"s of course).

Thank you for sharing your experience - much obliged.

The above replies have given me much food for thought, so I will plan with more confidence. Cheers all.