Group comes up with plan for interim Thai govt leader

webfact

jointly select an interim non-partisan deputy PM

Suthep will never agree to this as it has to be 100% his way and only people who support him will be considered.

You seem to have a lot of your personal bubbles being popped these days

Suthep is noting more than a figurehead for the Thai people who protest with him

So what Suthep wants is only in his mind

My thai wife and friends where part of the protest

Ant they think this idea is great

If Suthep tried to stop it they would protest against Suthep

If you knock over one of his cones you risk a serious beating, being shot or a knife to the liver

Your wife and her friends might well think again before protesting against Suthep and his guards

• Like 1

What's wrong with elections? The main problem in Thailand in the inability of those in the minority on election day to accept they must accept the will of the majority.

The majority can't rule using a steamroller over the minority. That's called "majoritarianism". You need checks & balances, not a rubber stamp senate or crippled independent organizations.

I think Thailand needs major reform. One example is decentralization, make all governors elected (like in Bkk) move funding & accountability out from Bkk (might help in the deep south too). That is, reduce the "winner takes all" mentality, move decision making closer to the people. Reform the police big time.

• Like 1

Two glaring problems with this idea:

1. "non-partisan"
Devil's in the details, aint it. There is no such thing as a "non-partisan" individual. The concept is illogical.

2. This is all predicated on the idea that Suthep really is a well-meaning servant of the people with nothing but the deep down, honest to goodness best wishes for Thailand. I hope that I will be proved wrong, but when I look at this megalomaniac, leading people to bleed and die in the streets for no practical purpose beyond demonstrating his own power (let's not forget that the Democrat party, the Court, and a handful of real hardliners have made all of the moves of any consequence in this mess) I have to see what history teaches me to see; a power-hungry politician with designs on an authoritarian regime.

Suthep's only interest in an interim PM is that it's a level he must pass to reach his ends.

• Like 1

What's wrong with elections? The main problem in Thailand in the inability of those in the minority on election day to accept they must accept the will of the majority.

You are quite correct.

The PTP had the minority of the votes 48% of them. 52% of the population did not want them. That is a conservative estimate. Some of those who voted for them might not have voted for them if they had known it was Thaksin they were voting for.

See the mess we are in now with the Minority trying to shove their way down the Majorities throat.

I actually find your statement to be funny cheesy.gifcheesy.gif coming from you as you have always been siding with the PTP red shirts.clap2.gif You are defiantly confused.facepalm.gif

Sounds fine, but the selection process is wrong. In such stalemate situations, each party should get to pick which members of the opposite party they are happy to deal with. This stops all the post-selection bickering and hatred. It's simple mathematics of game theory.

One amusing alternative is for Thailand to go down the route of how the Venetian Doge was elected.

For a quick version look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doge_of_Venice#Selection_of_the_Doge.

For a full paper, from HP Labs, on voting theory of the 1268 protocol used up to 1797, and a simplified version of the same protocol: http://www.hpl.hp.com/techreports/2007/HPL-2007-28R1.pdf

Another alternative is to keep waving those flags.

Also another alternative is do with out a leader. Belgium did it for a time and are none the worse the wear for it.

On the serious side of it The Democrats, the PDRC and this group have all come up with ways to solve the conflict. The PTP have done nothing except insist on an election that no matter who won would still leave a divided nation.

There is three good plans put forth I don't care which one or combination they use. It would still solve the problem and return the government to the people.

I see now where Suthep is softening but he will have to do more than talk. He will have to listen to the other sides also. He has a great plan but it is not the only way to accomplish the job and he will have to listen with an open mind to others.

This is only my opinion but I think it is a good one. We have come to the point where to get the job done right the government may have to bend or ignore some of the legalities and put the people first.wai.gif

For the life of me I can not understand how any one with an education or who is not on the Thaksin Gravy Train would want to leave the corruption alone.

These suggestions, although well intended are DOA and nobody will agree to them. The PTP was elected by an overwhelming majority of the Thai people and why should they now walk away from running the gov't? I certainly would not, and there might be legal charges brought against anyone walking away from a caretaker gov't. such as the reason why Yingluck would not resign but is probably now celebrating she does not have to put up with this s***t anymore.

You are a newbie so you may be excused.

48% is not an overwhelming majority of the Thai people.

In fact it is a minority.

Please try to catch up on what is happening here.

May I ask you two simple questions ?

1 Do you believe the country need Reforms ? Yes/No

2 Do you believe both major parties have their own agenda ? Yes/No

If you have answered Yes to both questions you have answered your own question of "what's wrong with elections?"

Answer to question one: Once someone is able to tell me what is his/her/their plans for reform, I will be able to provide you with an opinion.

Answer to question two: Each party in a multiparty democracy should have their own platform and agenda. That is what defines the party. Agendas are not inherently evil.

I only answered one question 'yes'. Are elections ok, now? smile.png

So according to your answer on question #1 you don't have any idea of what is going on.cheesy.gifcheesy.gif Why am I not surprised?

Here is my plan take all the corrupt politicians and throw them in Jail. You may call me someone if it makes you feel better.wai.gif

Suthep will never agree to this as it has to be 100% his way and only people who support him will be considered.

Unfortunately, the other side is exactly the same. And that's the problem. Neither side will give even an inch.

The difference being, one constantly gets a majority mandate from the people.

We shouldn't get off topic here, but if I am not mistaken, over 50% of the population did not vote for PTP. And even if they did, it was barely that. Thailand has a coalition government. No one party had enough votes to form a government.

The Russian ruling party got a majority of votes. Does that mean Russia is a good democratic nation? Voting is but one small part of being a democratic nation.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, the other side is exactly the same. And that's the problem. Neither side will give even an inch.

The difference being, one constantly gets a majority mandate from the people.

We shouldn't get off topic here, but if I am not mistaken, over 50% of the population did not vote for PTP. And even if they did, it was barely that. Thailand has a coalition government. No one party had enough votes to form a government.

The Russian ruling party got a majority of votes. Does that mean Russia is a good democratic nation? Voting is but one small part of being a democratic nation.

The PTP had enough seats that they did not need the other parties votes, It was 48% voting for the PTP and out of that we will never know but I am sure some of them would not have voted PTP if they knew they were going to get Thaksin. It was 52% that did not vote for the PTP. That is a big difference.

It was Abhist who had a minority government and needed the support from the other parties. That was a big part of the reason he could not do much more than he did. He unlike Yingluck had to keep other parties happy to retain his office.

Doesn't really say much for the PTP who can not retain the office and they need no support from any other party. They lasted about a year less than Abhist.wai.gif

Shame on these so-called academics! They are a disgrace to scholarship.

These fools should walk over to the biology departments of their universities where they will see that most mammals have backbones - so why don't they themselves!?

Look at their pathetic, spineless words: "jointly select an interim non-partisan deputy PM to act as head of government temporarily so that the country can move forward with reform and a general election".

Hello, yer morons! Thailand is a democracy - allegedly. The way to select a PM in a democracy is via an election.

Somehow I don't think that these are the ones who will be going to Harvard or Cambridge or Cornell or the Sorbonne or Oxford. Or if they've been already, they've forgotten whatever they were taught.

It is the new generation - the Voronais of the 'Bangkok Post' and his ilk - who realise that democracy is the future in Thailand, even if (for the moment) such democracy is imperfect. It is they who will show the world that Thais can be brilliant; it is they who will skip over these so-called "academics" (the old guard); it is they who realise that corruption doesn't work; it is they who realise that you have to appeal to voters in order to move the country forward.

• Like 1

These suggestions, although well intended are DOA and nobody will agree to them. The PTP was elected by an overwhelming majority of the Thai people and why should they now walk away from running the gov't? I certainly would not, and there might be legal charges brought against anyone walking away from a caretaker gov't. such as the reason why Yingluck would not resign but is probably now celebrating she does not have to put up with this s***t anymore.

You are a newbie so you may be excused.

48% is not an overwhelming majority of the Thai people.

In fact it is a minority.

Please try to catch up on what is happening here.

In the 2011 election PT got about 48%. The so-called "Democrats" got about 35%. That's an overwhelming majority, often called a 'landslide'. This election has been analysed in the scholarly literature, e.g. Asian Survey 53/4 (2013) for its significance in the hoped-for democratic development of Thailand. I guess you are new to Thailand, northernjohn, but do try and learn from Stan7444's superior understanding of democracy.

You seem to have a lot of your personal bubbles being popped these days

Suthep is noting more than a figurehead for the Thai people who protest with him

So what Suthep wants is only in his mind

My thai wife and friends where part of the protest

Ant they think this idea is great

If Suthep tried to stop it they would protest against Suthep

I don't think so, I think it is more of a personal opinion which everyone is allowed. The problem here is myself against your wife and her friends.

Every single post you make is "My wife and her friends"

Mate no offence intended but I would like to hear your personal opinion on subjects whilst not having your wife and her friends standing over you whilst you type in favour of the PDRC.

You seem like a guy that asks permission to take a crap. a guy that is totally dictated when he can drink water. when he can walk and even more so what he can say.

Forget the power of your wife and her friends that are controlling your life and break out and grow a pair of balls and have your own say.

Don't be scared of them you are a man and if she dumps you for having a voice and being strong and not a coward then so be it. Many more Thai women will respect you.

I am with you my friend, just man up

great post, hopefully it sinks in

The majority can't rule using a steamroller over the minority. That's called "majoritarianism". You need checks & balances, not a rubber stamp senate or crippled independent organizations.

I think Thailand needs major reform. One example is decentralization, make all governors elected (like in Bkk) move funding & accountability out from Bkk (might help in the deep south too). That is, reduce the "winner takes all" mentality, move decision making closer to the people. Reform the police big time.

The US has been working with two elected houses since its Constitution was adopted well over two hundred years ago. And when both houses are controlled by the same party much more gets done than when there is gridlock. Whatever happens in an election reflects the will of the people. Funny how so many people in this forum rail against elections but one of the reforms you propose is having more government officials elected. As I noted in an earlier post, the move to pass the constitutional amendment to return to an elected Senate was 'reform' by definition because it changed the 'status quo'. You probably disagree with an elected Senate. You only want the people elected that suit your idea of reform. Elected officials are ultimately accountable to the people because they can be removed from office come election time. That is the ultimate check and balance.

You are quite correct.

The PTP had the minority of the votes 48% of them. 52% of the population did not want them. That is a conservative estimate. Some of those who voted for them might not have voted for them if they had known it was Thaksin they were voting for.

See the mess we are in now with the Minority trying to shove their way down the Majorities throat.

I actually find your statement to be funny cheesy.gifcheesy.gif coming from you as you have always been siding with the PTP red shirts.clap2.gif You are defiantly confused.facepalm.gif

Thailand is a multi-party democracy and many other parties joined the PTP in Parliament didn't they? As I understand, this is the way Parliamentary democracies work. Nonetheless, the PTP had an outright majority in Parliament didn't they? Sour grapes or you just don't understand the mechanics of representation under the Thai Constitution? And this was the way the Democrats built there 'majority' in parliament. What's the difference? And your icons make you so erudite.

You are quite correct.

Thailand is a multi-party democracy and many other parties joined the PTP in Parliament didn't they? As I understand, this is the way Parliamentary democracies work. Nonetheless, the PTP had an outright majority in Parliament didn't they? Sour grapes or you just don't understand the mechanics of representation under the Thai Constitution? And this was the way the Democrats built there 'majority' in parliament. What's the difference? And your icons make you so erudite.

As the great ma said:

"Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts"

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

As the great ma said:

"Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts"

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I prefer George Carlin: Don't pet the sweaty things and don't sweat the petty things!