Tight transfer time leaving BKK...

beau thai

Some friends are over for a few days next month and their departure schedule is cnx-bkk-dxb-lhr.

They have been booked with only 60 minutes between arrival from cnx and departure to dxb which seems very tight to me.

Its a while since I have done it, but my recollection is it's a good 20 minute walk from where the cnx plane lands, to the Dubai gate; so if I am right about that and their plane arrives, say, 10 minutes late from cnx, plus 10 mins to get off the plane, then they are past the 30 minute-before-flight gate closure for Dubai and miss the connection.

I checked Skyscanner for the same route and they also suggest flights with only 60 mins at BKK which surprised me.

They only have hand luggage and maybe I am unnecessarily anxious on their behalf.

But I am doubtful if Emirates will hold the departure waiting for a few cnx passengers-but maybe they do.

Anyone have any recent experience of this route or similar with tight timing like this?? Did it work out?

First job to do, is to make sure you clear immigration at chiang mai.

If the flight sets off on time you should be ok, it takes one hours but the schedule usually states 1hrd 15min.

So you get off the plane and do the short cut through the airport with your blue customs clearance badge.

Usually the staff know how many people still to check in and which flight they come in by so they will be there holding cards up, ushering you along.

Its tight yes, I don't like the stress of racing 800m through bkk airport.

And a final suggestion...at chiang mai try get on a seat near the frinto, so you are first off.

• Like 1

Thinking about it....simple just another ticket from cm to bkk 1700bt approx, not worth the stress is it?

Book for the flight prior....or for 800bt just transfer your original flight into a new one.

• Like 2

Yep, that was my first thought and maybe they can convince the uk booking agent they have screwed up and get a free change to the earlier flight. More comfortable.

Is it really only 800m from plane to gate-feels much more, especially if out of time.!!

Not sure about the opportunity to do immigration in Chiang Mai. Last year when I went through international departure cnx for an international connection in bkk they hauled me off the plane, back to immigration for the guy to cancel the stamp and I had to do immigration in BKK!!!

My cnx leg was separately booked (cheaper!) so maybe that caused the issue...

If it's booked as all one ticket, it will probably work. If it's two separate tickets, not good.

They're going to be told to hurry as soon as they land in BKK.

Depending on where the DXB flight gate is, it could be a maximum of one mile between the arrival and departure gates. Happened to me once, but that was going to the US.

Your friends may be able to check their luggage to the final destination, but they will have to go through immigration in Bangkok because their CNX-BKK flight is into the domestic area not international. So, they will have to exit the domestic area and go through the process of exiting at the international area. It might help if a note is made, and that you get some physical assistance to help you clear customs and immigration lines due to the time frame.

I'd say you're cutting it too fine. I've had 90 minutes and they've managed to balls up the CNX departure sufficient for me to miss a connection to KL-SYD. In fairness, Thai were very nice about it and stuck me on the next flight to Sydney, so I actually got there earlier.

I've rarely been on a Thai domestic flight that isn't late to some extent, and that's over 20+ years.

But as a matter of course I now just take an earlier flight; there are worse airports than Swampy for a bite and a beer.

• Like 1

Your friends may be able to check their luggage to the final destination, but they will have to go through immigration in Bangkok because their CNX-BKK flight is into the domestic area not international. So, they will have to exit the domestic area and go through the process of exiting at the international area. It might help if a note is made, and that you get some physical assistance to help you clear customs and immigration lines due to the time frame.

No, you are wrong.

You check in the domestic side if you have separate flights and ask to check you all the way through.

You will then get a customs clearance badge and they send you to the international waiting lounge...where immigration is.

At bkk you do not go to immigration again you are diverted straight to the departure gate area.

But the solution is to transfer the flight if you know whether your domestic bit is via thai air or bkk air

• Like 2

Thinking about it....simple just another ticket from cm to bkk 1700bt approx, not worth the stress is it?

Book for the flight prior....or for 800bt just transfer your original flight into a new one.

It would be too tight for me, prefer to relax and be sure.

Having carry-on baggage only means the airline (we know who) won't particularly hold the DXB flight as they will have no unaccopanied luggage loaded onboard to worry about.

• Like 1

No, you are wrong.

You check in the domestic side if you have separate flights and ask to check you all the way through.

You will then get a customs clearance badge and they send you to the international waiting lounge...where immigration is.

At bkk you do not go to immigration again you are diverted straight to the departure gate area.

But the solution is to transfer the flight if you know whether your domestic bit is via thai air or bkk air

In March I flew to the UK checked in at CNX with Bangkok Air in CNX International Departures, also checked in my luggage all the way to London with BA. Through passport control upstairs in CNX.

Stayed within BKK airport, just through the quick security check at BKK (airside), no need to go through passport control.

Both flights booked independently of each other.

Done this maybe half a dozen times.

As long as flight from CNX not delayed AND they can do above should be ok.

Just re-read they have no luggage to check in...should be ok but NEED to clear passport control in CNX and get a CIQ sticker on them.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by kjhbigv

Does the separate flight from CM have to be a partner company of the flight to the UK?

I flew Thai from CNX to BKK and then BA on to LHR, and whilst they would check my baggage all the way through, Thai would not let me go through immigration at CNX.

Not sure but the strange thing is the other way with the same airlines LHR-BKK-CNX they could not check me or my luggage all the way through to CNX....a bit strange!

Edited by kjhbigv

Not sure but the strange thing is the other way with the same airlines LHR-BKK-CNX they could not check me or my luggage all the way through to CNX....a bit strange!

You can, but you really have to push the clueless check in staff. Insist on the supervisor helping out.