My Thai wife wants to pay the offending party

Greg Nixon

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two kids playing????

A little overreacting on both sides. I think spraying water in his direction was childish, but so is his reaction.

Grab a bottle of booze, head over, and behave like adults.

first off grow up! you are not in la la land. here you can get your butt in trouble for the simplest of reasons. He can sue you and money talks in this country. grab a bunch of humble pie and make peace with him. it was your fault for spraying or atempting to spray him.

Someone I know had a slight altercation with his ex-landlord (american) over, yes, you guessed it.....unreturned deposit.

It was just a bit of handbags but the Landlord reported him to the Police. The guy I know had his passport taken off him. He got a good lawyer and counter sued the landlord, the landlord then had his passport taken off him.

Result. Both cases never got to the courts but it cost them both a lot of money and both lost their passports for over a year which also resulted in hassle sorting out visa's.

• Like 1

My friends and I play subtle pranks on each other perpetually (eg, a quick 'accidental' squirt with the hose), sometimes have to remind myself that comfort level doesn't exist with folks I don't know so well. So be it. You learn.

But if the story represented is factual, him threatening to put you on your ass changed the tenor of the exchange significantly - I would probably rather claw out my eyes with a spork rather than pay off someone who threatened me under those circumstances. It's definitely a red flag to get that kind of threat.

My input - knowing only this part of the story - is don't pay anything but don't do anything else to increase hostility either. Consider it a lesson on human behavior and give him wide berth.

Your friends ..ok. neighbor walking down the street

. Nope

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Maybe I need to be a little more clear when I write (that's not being sarcastic). When I say 'that comfort level doesn't exist with folks I don't know" it means it's not OK to prank random person walking down the street (though I met my closest friend who was a stranger when we were doing grad work by pulling a silly prank).

But what we have here is various levels of 'not ok.' Being a little obnoxious with someone whom you have a history of tension, not the wisest path. I think the OP is clearly at fault there -- but when you bring the threat of physical harm into it, that's a whole different ballgame. Where I come from people don't make those threats lightly because it's an invitation for genuine brutality. On my scale of values these things are not equal. So while I think the OP is out of line, I think the neighbor is WAY out of <deleted> line. I would avoid the guy - I certainly would not reward him for the behavior and encourage it by paying him off, and I certainly wouldn't leave Thailand.

But this IS also how feuds get started, all joking aside. I think one should just avoid and be indifferent to him.

Good points are brought up by others in reference to age difference and the other side of the story, and we don't really have a full picture. I need more info to make a good judgment call.

• Like 1

I am happy that you are not living somewhere near me.

Spraying someone with water bah.gif

When he complains putting him down bah.gif

And than someone asks why Farangs have such a bad reputation in Thailand.

Spraying water at someone is already something no normal man gets in his mind. But everyone with honor would apologize later, not get violent.

Does "Sang Krat ring a bell for you, Ho90? That must be a very, very difficult time for you...

The neighbour seems to have anger management issues and you appear to have common sense issues. I think you should go back to Canada and he should go back to Australia. At least it would put more distance between you.wink.png

Maybe it was a language problem laugh.png

Canada and Australia laugh.png

A blind and a deaf speak together about colors.....

A Canuck & an Ozzie talking?? Like chickens & ducks talking/ The Canadian said the "I'll put you on your ass" which he thought meant "I'll drink you under the table" the Ozzie accepted the challenge.........seem clear to me rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

I really don't like getting wet, unless when necessary. I never go out during the water festival.

I also know lots of people who don't.

+1,. I also tend to go away during Songkran for this very reason.

THe OP needs to either grow up or go back to Canada. I understand from a friend who was assaulted that instead of taking a payment from the perpetrator, he could have had him expelled from the country - permanently!

Alan

If it happened out in the public road, you are guilty, and may be charged with assault.

If it happened in your garden, you have the right to kill him and get away with it.

In most countries of the world, throwing water at someone would be considered common assault (if it hit them, the more serious crime aggravated assault).

From what you have said, you appear to have admitted guilt all the way along, my advice, pay up or run.

By the way, never try this foolishness on a Thai man, he would likely pull a gun, shoot you dead, and get away with it (on either occasion according to your statements).

I believe incident took place at OP's gate, ie driveway , ie not a public road.

Splashing water does not fall under the assault, wish you luck having this so called assault stick.

You are Thai , so you saying all Thai men carry guns and have brain less than a monkey to shoot someone at their property to then spend good part of their life in jail?

Assault

At Common Law, an intentional act by one person that creates an apprehension in another of an imminent harmful or offensive contact.

An assault is carried out by a threat of bodily harm coupled with an apparent, present ability to cause the harm. It is both a crime and a tort and, therefore, may result in either criminal or civil liability. Generally, the common law definition is the same in criminal and Tort Law. There is, however, an additional Criminal Law category of assault consisting of an attempted but unsuccessful Battery.

Statutory definitions of assault in the various jurisdictions throughout the United States are not substantially different from the common-law definition.

Elements

Likely you are responsible for his hospital expenses.

Yes, it sounds like a shakedown but it is normal here that, since you caused the need for a hospital visit, you pay.

Strange your wife is not very supportive of you.

Pay expenses and have no more to do with each other.

Likely you are responsible for his hospital expenses.

Yes, it sounds like a shakedown but it is normal here that, since you caused the need for a hospital visit, you pay.

Strange your wife is not very supportive of you.

Pay expenses and have no more to do with each other.

Maybe wifey knows the OP is prone to this sort of behaviour.

It was a foolish thing to do to spray someone with water, I would have been pissed off myself if going out somewhere and having to sit there soaking wet but I also would have been annoyed at someone coming around to my house making threats. I certainly wouldnt pay anything to the guy and if the police want to make something out of it then it will cost you just 500 baht as this is the maximum under thai law that is possible to be fined for this smal altercation.

Update to follow here?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/727281-is-it-illegal-to-threaten-someones-life-in-thailand-and-if-i-have-been-threatened-what-should-i-do/#entry7845731

Started by Greg Nixon, Today, 11:45

I feel so sorry for your wife.

I was thinking: "Let the wife work it out soopsip with his wife over a somtam, it's their turf !". But now I guess it's too late for that.

Time to pack and book one way to Canada alone....

Was hoping for an update on this enthralling story, but appears The OP has gone quiet. Maybe on his way back to Canada

Maybe he sprayed the hose towards the police who came to visit him to talk to him about this and they reacted.

The neighbour seems to have anger management issues and you appear to have common sense issues. I think you should go back to Canada and he should go back to Australia. At least it would put more distance between you.wink.png

Maybe it was a language problem laugh.png

Canada and Australia laugh.png

A blind and a deaf speak together about colors.....

A Canuck & an Ozzie talking?? Like chickens & ducks talking/ The Canadian said the "I'll put you on your ass" which he thought meant "I'll drink you under the table" the Ozzie accepted the challenge.........seem clear to me rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif
The Ozzie told the Canadian he would put him on his ass. And then put hands on the Canadian. So the Canadian put the Ozzie on his ass.

• 3 weeks later...

Do not pay a cent and do not do anything.

No one, including police will do anything as altercation took place at your property.

You are in full right to defend your property.

All the rest, while may well be silly, has no relevance as water splashing is hardly an assault .

Sleep easy and if he ever comes around again, just ignore the idiot and tell him to step away from your property

Yes, this is my understanding too. A man has enhanced rights if on his property here. He grabbed you first. This could be interpreted as a threat. He sounds like an absolute buffoon. Are you looking for an excuse to return to Canada? If not, do not be concerned. Thai courts are exceptionally weak. I would not even hire and waste money on a lawyer. When the court date arrives in two years they might fine you 1,000 baht. Leave it alone.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app