Pistorius must undergo psychiatric evaluation, judge in his murder trial rules

webfact

Oscar Pistorius psychiatric test ruling due
By Robyn Curnow, Richard Allen Greene and Emily Smith, CNN

Pretoria, South Africa (CNN) -- The judge in the Oscar Pistorius murder trial will rule Wednesday on whether the athlete must undergo psychiatric evaluation, a move that would put the trial on ice for at least a month.

Judge Thokozile Masipa heard arguments from both sides on Tuesday and said she would issue her decision when the trial resumed on Wednesday.

The prosecutor argued in favor of psychological evaluation, while the defense argued against it.

Pistorius, 27, does not claim he was insane or mentally incapacitated when he killed his girlfriend, the model Reeva Steenkamp, in his home last year.

Full story: http://edition.cnn.com/2014/05/14/world/africa/oscar-pistorius-trial/index.html

cnn.com.jpg
-- CNN 2014-05-14

Oscar Pistorius ordered to undergo mental evaluation

A judge in the trial of South African athlete Oscar Pistorius has ordered that he should undergo a mental evaluation.

She ruled that psychiatric evidence before the court could not replace "a proper enquiry" into his mental health.

The BBC's Andrew Harding in Pretoria says that the trial will almost certainly now face a lengthy delay.

The prosecution argued on Tuesday that psychiatric tests were essential and that he should be referred.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-27405303

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-05-14

I always pretty much think we are too easy on criminals. In this case I think the prosecutor has been out of bounds in an almost criminal manner trying to prove something that might not be correct, at least in my mind with the limited knowledge I have from watching BBC footage of the trial.

1 x month to ascertain if this guy has got issues ? Well, that sounds like money well spent. Yes, he has got issues, yes he can act, but he ain't gonna be springing away from this one. He's gonna be kneeling and praying every night for a very long time to come. Jealous and insecure with guns.........no............he is South African really !