Most gun-loving: Americans vs Thais

SandyFeet

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Americans are required to own firearms by law--its actually in the Constitution or the Bill of Rights or something.

Can our Thai "brothers-in-arms" make that claim?

BTW, only 25 posts and you are already fishing the big waters with a topic like this.

I see a bright future ahead ;-)

Edited by ClutchClark
  • Like 2

I can't imagine anyone on this planet who loves guns more than Americans. Not all Americans, of course, but a good number. It's truly part of the culture. If you want to upset certain Americans, suggest taking away his guns. Them is fightin' words!

As for Thais, I've only met one or two who even own guns. And it's almost never talked about with most Thais that I run into. Maybe it's different out in the country, but in the urban areas, not really a big topic of discussion.

• Like 1

there are plenty of gun shops in bkk,nothing stopping most thais from buying a legal gun........

and many do have them but there isnt as many gun freaks here as stateside .........

most thais are less paranoid about needing one IMO

many have some illegal guns and after I saw some I would say most are more dangerous to shoot than to get the bullet from.

Very old, already the cheapest when new, never maintained, dirty......

• Like 1

Most Thais out in the sticks use guns for hunting and actually eating what they have killed. American's its just a case of extending their manhood.

I may just have opened a can of worms but we are all entitled to an opinion.

Well i don't know but i am sure not to many Thai's would have access to AR 15 and the like,one thing though if a zombie apocalypse ever happens America will better prepared to with stand it than most other countries,but then some say one got elected as the previous President to Obama.

• Like 2

I am sure americans have a bigger variety of guns to choose from. They don't just one a small hand piece but some huge semi automatic with armor piercing bullets with a huge bore. Stuff like that. Their handguns need to be a hand cannon magnum or something similar to that and they'll post pictures of themselves doing poses with their guns and it isn't just the gangbangers that do it.

Remember the north hollywood shootout where 2 robbers had bullet proof armor reinforced along with armor piercing bullets and modified ak 47s they managed to keep the LAPD hiding and both of them could not be killed during the shootout until they ran out of bullets.

I doubt such a scenerio could occur in thailand where the robbers and mind you just 2 of them actually were more heavily armed compared to the police force which had helicopters and many officers, squad cars etc. The police ended up buying heavier weaponary from a gun store.

• Like 1

I am sure americans have a bigger variety of guns to choose from. They don't just one a small hand piece but some huge semi automatic with armor piercing bullets with a huge bore. Stuff like that. Their handguns need to be a hand cannon magnum or something similar to that and they'll post pictures of themselves doing poses with their guns and it isn't just the gangbangers that do it.

Remember the north hollywood shootout where 2 robbers had bullet proof armor reinforced along with armor piercing bullets and modified ak 47s they managed to keep the LAPD hiding and both of them could not be killed during the shootout until they ran out of bullets.

I doubt such a scenerio could occur in thailand where the robbers and mind you just 2 of them actually were more heavily armed compared to the police force which had helicopters and many officers, squad cars etc. The police ended up buying heavier weaponary from a gun store.

the police have sniper and semi automatic rifles and anything bigger than that is probably just a phone call away

at the nearest army base if requested

a ak47 modified is just set to full auto instead of semi -its not more powerful but armour piercing bullets would make cops

scared for sure :)

how long ago was this robbery ? and how much did they steal......or try to steal ?

Edited by speedtripler

I can buy a quality pistol in America for less than what I make in a day.

A typical Thai would have to spend 3-4 months' salary to buy the same pistol.

If the economics were different, I'd bet the Thais would have us beat by a long shot margin.

• Like 1

When I lived in the UK I had a collection of about 30 guns, mostly shotguns and disguised guns (walking sticks, pen pistols etc). The UK is very strict about licencing people to own guns, so I was lucky to live in the countryside and had justification to own shotguns for game and vermin shooting.

When I moved to Thailand, I could not bring the guns with me :(. I sold some of the Victorian game shotguns, but the disguised guns were generally not sellable (no-one except me had the class 4 firearms certificate to own them...).

Sadly most of these historic guns had to be surrendered by me to the police for destruction......what a waste

• Like 1

Most gun loving: Americans.

Most likely to go completely bat-sh!t mental and shoot you in the head point blank because of something completely trivial: Thais. Ten fold.

smile.png

Edited by Som wat
  • Like 2

If the economics were different, I'd bet the Thais would have us beat by a long shot margin.

in parts of africa, uganda i believe i read , a used ak-47 can be bought for about the same price as a chicken :)

a large chicken in tesco lotus thailand is about the price of a days labour @ minimum thai wages so its quite similar in some ways

legal guns are a big luxury in thailand so the rich middle class or higher can afford them but how many million guns are left over from

army surplus in cambodia ,thailand ,russia china that maybe on the thai black market much cheaper and available to the average thai ?

very interesting to know the figures but there is no shortage or military weapons anytime there is a conflict in thailand and even the grenades

were reportedly 1 dollar each in cambodia so i would bet there are more illegal firearms in the hands of poor thais than legal ones due to cost ......

Back during the Cold War, one of the reasons the Russians feared invading the US of A was the American populace had more guns and ammo than the Russian army.

So, I'll call it a draw.

And its why many Americans live in that very same fear today...far too many guns in inexperienced hands.

• Like 2

I am really anti-gun ... it's just who I am.

On this issue, I read posts over the years from guys who I usually agree with supporting gun ownership.

Like most things here ... you can agree on a lot of things ... but there will always be issues on which you don't agree.

'tis what makes us individuals.

I'm not a gun fan, others are ... it will be always a derisive issue.

• Like 1

Chinese made AK47 with a couple of full clips is 5k (farang price)

I am really anti-gun ... it's just who I am.

On this issue, I read posts over the years from guys who I usually agree with supporting gun ownership.

Like most things here ... you can agree on a lot of things ... but there will always be issues on which you don't agree.

'tis what makes us individuals.

I'm not a gun fan, others are ... it will be always a derisive issue.

And then there are even a few like me who own guns, wear guns daily for our occupations, but who don't like guns and gun culture.

I can't imagine anyone on this planet who loves guns more than Americans. Not all Americans, of course, but a good number. It's truly part of the culture. If you want to upset certain Americans, suggest taking away his guns. Them is fightin' words!

As for Thais, I've only met one or two who even own guns. And it's almost never talked about with most Thais that I run into. Maybe it's different out in the country, but in the urban areas, not really a big topic of discussion.

Somalians seem to have an affinity for them, as well as anyone else who buys them from:

US, China, Australia, France, Czech, etc.,etc.,etc

coffee1.gif