Most gun-loving: Americans vs Thais

SandyFeet

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love guns, loved them in the US, love them in Thailand.

But there is a big difference between gun culture in the two countries.

US, lots of rifles, most guns kept in the home (unloaded) or the car (loaded), very few carrying.

Thailand, mainly handguns, most guns kept on the person (loaded), usually in a belly bag, never seen so many men carrying.

Most gun loving: Americans.

Most likely to go completely bat-sh!t mental and shoot you in the head point blank because of something completely trivial: Thais. Ten fold.

smile.png

Most likely to make an asinine generalization completely devoid of truth: Khun Som wat.

No generalization in my comment, nong berkshire. smile.png

Statistical comparison based on observations and statistical evidence, yes. smile.png

Edited by Som wat
  • Like 1

I am really anti-gun ... it's just who I am.

On this issue, I read posts over the years from guys who I usually agree with supporting gun ownership.

Like most things here ... you can agree on a lot of things ... but there will always be issues on which you don't agree.

'tis what makes us individuals.

I'm not a gun fan, others are ... it will be always a derisive issue.

And then there are even a few like me who own guns, wear guns daily for our occupations, but who don't like guns and gun culture.

I can understand that ... they are a tool, not an aspiration.

US, lots of rifles, most guns kept in the home (unloaded) or the car (loaded), very few carrying.

Thailand, mainly handguns, most guns kept on the person (loaded), usually in a belly bag, never seen so many men carrying.

Just curious but how long since you have been back to US?

Alot of concealed carry nowadays...its quite the rage.

So many of them fantasizing they can be a hero in some robbery attempt...all want to pretend they are cops.

Slightly different scenario but a guy in montana had his garage broken into twice by teenagers and got pissed so he set a trap. He left the garage door open with a purse in plain site. He wired in motion detectors and a CCTV. He told his barber he wanted to teach those kids a lesson.

A kid walked into the garage one night, the homeowner fired four rounds from his shotgun into the garage, striking the kid twice and killing him. It was a German exchange student.

A human life taken for nothing. Thats gun culture in the US today.

Its not like it was when I was a kid growing up when we could bring our shiotgun to gradeschool in the morning and leave it in the principals office to hunt pheasants on the way home.

^^ That said #37, I can understand when someone for the USA visits a country and discovers that a gun culture doesn't exist there.

Same as I feel resentful when I go to a beach and find that I have to pay for chair if I want a nice spot.

Or if I want to buy a house block to build a place on in Thailand.

Most gun loving: Americans.

Most likely to go completely bat-sh!t mental and shoot you in the head point blank because of something completely trivial: Thais. Ten fold.

smile.png

Most likely to make an asinine generalization completely devoid of truth: Khun Som wat.

No generalization in my comment, nong berkshire. smile.png

Statistical comparison based on observations and statistical evidence, yes. smile.png

Well you should at least be fair about it. As an American, I hear about senseless shootings in America all the time. All the freakin time. Does it happen in Thailand? Of course. But with the number of guns in America, much bigger population, and a good number of disturbed individuals, not to mention those who are wound up a bit tight, the US far exceeds Thailand in gun deaths. Thailand wouldn't even be close if not for the craziness going on in the south, which heavily distorts your "statistical evidence."

Edited by Berkshire
  • Like 2

I am really anti-gun ... it's just who I am.

On this issue, I read posts over the years from guys who I usually agree with supporting gun ownership.

Like most things here ... you can agree on a lot of things ... but there will always be issues on which you don't agree.

'tis what makes us individuals.

I'm not a gun fan, others are ... it will be always a derisive issue.

And then there are even a few like me who own guns, wear guns daily for our occupations, but who don't like guns and gun culture.

At least thats an unexpected but clever answerthumbsup.gif

Right to bear arms....in our Constitution.

In Australia ... no gun culture ... we get on just fine ... as do many other countries around the world.

Perhaps the people do....but damn...these Dingos just do not agree.

4691668-16x9-700x394.jpg

Edited by slipperylobster

Regarding the first reply>> dear god please tell me you are being sarcastic.

silly topic but im bored and feel like hearing myself clack away.

Although I wouldn't use the word "love", I get your general point and the answer isn't even close.

Americans have a deep historical connection to guns.

They were the tools that helped free them from the clutches of the monarchy.

Have you ever realized you forgot to wear your watch after leaving the house and felt naked?

That would be the feeling settlers moving west had when they didn't have their gun. It offered protection and was a means of acquiring meat.

I got a Red Ryder BB gun when i was 9. Probably spent 200 hours shooting cans behind my house. Soon began taking our golden retriever up to my neighbors barn to shoot the pigeons that shit all over. Dog brought the birds back to our house in her mouth and boom, the cats had a meal.

My cousin is a true gunsmith, he has a full on love of guns and teaching about them.

One of the most impressive pieces built in my high school woodshop class was a beautiful wooden gun safe built by my best friends older brother. Kept the guns locked up and clean for when hunting season came around. We were taught at a young age that touching the safe meant you get the belt.

I'm sure there are some Thais who have similar sentiments, but i would be surprised if it is as widespread.

Oh my God another one!!! There is a real lot of you i think!!! When i was small we played indians and cowboys, but guess what... Than i did grow up....Why dont you.....the wild west are gone for ever and still you are creating wild west by all idiots in USA that are carrying guns and rifles and feeling like a pioneer......

You shoot children in school, you shoots your presidents, and you are killing all over the place..... When will you stop,,, will you ever stop.....

Glegolo

In Australia ... no gun culture ... we get on just fine ... as do many other countries around the world.

Perhaps the people do....but damn...these Dingos just do not agree.

4691668-16x9-700x394.jpg

... and fair enough to raise that point.

But I would like to offer perspective.

There are 3 kangaroos for every man woman and child in Australia ... they inhabit the bush.

As in Canada, where they hit deer ... we often hit roos when driving in the bush.

In the bush ... a long way from anywhere .. there are shooters.

Heck, in the bush we have major problems with wild boar, camels ... yes, we actually export camels to Saudi, roos, feral cats, dingos etc etc. We have the longest fence in the world ... a dingo fence.

So a single shot '303' rifle is often part of the kit in the bush ... as is 2 x 20 litre gerry cans of fuel and maybe a 10 litre water can.

But, a gun, as part of the Culture in mainstream Australia ... think Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane etc ... no way ... it's illegal, frowned upon and certainly not part of our Culture.

^^ That said #37, I can understand when someone for the USA visits a country and discovers that a gun culture doesn't exist there.

Same as I feel resentful when I go to a beach and find that I have to pay for chair if I want a nice spot.

Or if I want to buy a house block to build a place on in Thailand.

New Zealand, the cops are not armed. Some have pepper spray, some have tazers, some have a long heavy torch.

None have whistles though!

I was pretty surprised to see people walking around in Bangkok wearing Glock polo shirts. I see this quite often. Sometimes I see Glock bumper stickers on cars too.

I've lived in a few major cities in the USA and have never seen people wearing gun shirts.

Some people just assume the bottom doggy position with their hind quarters propped for the taking.

Others procure legal weapons for their own protection.

Bad guys are out there regardless. Good luck protecting your homes with a fork and spoon.

Best to protect your home with landmines around the yard.

Yeee Har.

American "exceptionalism" at its best:

firearm-OECD-UN-data3.jpg

Fortunately the one's doing the best job of eliminating themselves seem to be mainly in the "red states."

1355858460547.png.CROP.article568-large.

Hmmmm....there's something not right about that chart. There's no way you could convince me that Australia has a lower gun homicide rate than NZ.. Brisbane alone probably beats NZ!

I'm American and it saddens me to say it, but I'll bet Americans have Thais beat by a long short. Way too many Americans are way too obsessed about guns.

I am far from a gun enthusiast, but even I own a rifle I inherited from my dad. It is a very beautiful .22 Winchester Rifle about 60 years old. I haven't shot it in more than 30 years. The only reason I keep it is because of it's quality, beauty and feel, though I did try to sell it before coming here, but you just can't sell an unregistered gun that easy.

I'm American and it saddens me to say it, but I'll bet Americans have Thais beat by a long short. Way too many Americans are way too obsessed about guns.

I am far from a gun enthusiast, but even I own a rifle I inherited from my dad. It is a very beautiful .22 Winchester Rifle about 60 years old. I haven't shot it in more than 30 years. The only reason I keep it is because of it's quality, beauty and feel, though I did try to sell it before coming here, but you just can't sell an unregistered gun that easy.

As a mechanical device (apparently a beautiful one at that), also as an heirloom, I can appreciate that ... thumbsup.gif

So many of them fantasizing they can be a hero in some robbery attempt...all want to pretend they are cops.

Slightly different scenario but a guy in montana had his garage broken into twice by teenagers and got pissed so he set a trap. He left the garage door open with a purse in plain site. He wired in motion detectors and a CCTV. He told his barber he wanted to teach those kids a lesson.

A kid walked into the garage one night, the homeowner fired four rounds from his shotgun into the garage, striking the kid twice and killing him. It was a German exchange student.

Its not like it was when I was a kid growing up when we could bring our shiotgun to gradeschool in the morning and leave it in the principals office to hunt pheasants on the way home.

I have no idea about the legality of this "trap" but in all honesty I don't think it is fair to give the impression the exchange student was right (by saying "a life taken for nothing"). Whether it was an exchange student, a homeless man, or wealthy individual; they don't have any right to trespass on private property regardless of whether there is a pile of gold or not waiting to stolen. In the end the homeowner may get charged with a crime, but then again, maybe not - what's known for sure is that nobody should be trespassing on anybody's private property.

• Like 1

I have no idea about the legality of this "trap" but in all honesty I don't think it is fair to give the impression the exchange student was right (by saying "a life taken for nothing"). Whether it was an exchange student, a homeless man, or wealthy individual; they don't have any right to trespass on private property regardless of whether there is a pile of gold or not waiting to stolen. In the end the homeowner may get charged with a crime, but then again, maybe not - what's known for sure is that nobody should be trespassing on anybody's private property.

Sure, nobody should be trespassing. But killing a young kid because he entered your garage unarmed, pissed and looking for booze. I would have been dead ten times over if I had grown up in the Land of the Free.

• Like 1

Americans are required to own firearms by law--its actually in the Constitution or the Bill of Rights or something.

Can our Thai "brothers-in-arms" make that claim?

BTW, only 25 posts and you are already fishing the big waters with a topic like this.

I see a bright future ahead ;-)

I

Whoa, Hoss...not so fast. Let us not misinform the international public. Americans are guaranteed the right to have firearms but are not required. I may be incorrect but I think it is the Swiss that issues all males a firearm that they can keep in the home at the end of their military service. Just for the record the U.S. 2nd Amendment to the U.S. Constitution reads, " a well regulated militia, being necessary for the common defense, the peoples right to keep and bear arms..." Thus the rub, is it every U.S. Citizen guaranteed the right to keep and bear arms, or only if they are members of " a well regulated militia" (currently understood as the various state's national guard). Ha! Now the comments should explode in debate....

• Like 1

Americans are required to own firearms by law--its actually in the Constitution or the Bill of Rights or something.

Can our Thai "brothers-in-arms" make that claim?

BTW, only 25 posts and you are already fishing the big waters with a topic like this.

I see a bright future ahead ;-)

I agree with your second comment re fishing in BIG waters, well said.

Re your first comment you are Way.. way of beat. Have a thorough read of the US 2nd amendment.... somewhat boring to say the least... but never the less informative. A lot of US citizens "think" the 2nd amendment permits everyone to carry arms. If you have the time & patience to read it all, it mainly refers to militia & state organized citizens force to carry arms for purposes of defense. Somewhat different to "everyone" being permitted to be armed at their own discretion.

I realize I'll get numerous attacks from Americans telling me how wrong I am. My main point is to try an offer a basic explanation as to what most people think & what is fact.

Moving on.....

Its a myth regarding guns in America.

BTW, anyone have any extra gun oil?

My browing citori could be a little shinier.w00t.gif

And anyone know how to get gun oil stains out of bedsheet?

Yes i sleep with my shotgun,... Wanna make something of it?angry.png

• Like 2