Pattaya Immigration (changeing the rules)

roger101

I do my 90 day report in Udorn, after a 120 kilometer one way drive. I hand them my passport and my yellow book. Five minutes later I walk out the door.

Could the fact you only got 49 days on your last reporting period be due to the expiration date of your one year retirement extension?

Immigration will only give you until either your passport expires or you retirement extension runs its course. When is your one year extension up?

That is not correct. When you do a 90 day report you have to report again 90 days afterwards unless you leave the country for a holiday then the 90 days starts again on your re-entry. It is not related to your one year extension.

I have been doing the 90 day reports for nearly six years.

The only time I have received less than 90 days on an extension was if the requested 90 days would have put me beyond the expiration date of my retirement extension.

In other words, if I went to Immigration in April and filed a 90 day report, I WOULD NOT receive 90 days if my retirement extension was expiring in June. I would still have to go back in some 60 days to renew my annual retirement extension.

A new 90 day period would restart with the renewal of my retirement extension in June.

My current next reporting date is beyond the expiration date of my retirement extension.

To get a driving license most people go to the immigration for a letter of residence.

Then you come to the 90 days report and the accept a copy of the driver license to confirm the address. Where is the logic in that?

Quite simple in my opinion. Since you hold a driver license mean that immigration have verified the address earlier, otherwise you would not be able to have a driver license.

So immigration have verified the address earlier...coffee1.gif How did they do that?

Couple of years ago it was like this:

Go to immigration with two photos and a utility bill (as you wrote, doesn't have to be in your name), next day your certificate is ready.

If you was willing to pay 100 THB (the old times) you got it within 2 hours...

Now price is more something like 300 THB but the extensive verification procedure is still the same.

Szenario 2, applied for the driving license with the resident certificate from your own embassy ( which is usually a lot more $$).

That is even more senseless, as the embassy will write down whatever address you provide them. They don't even need the utility bill...

So in the end, the immigration is sure that you actually live at the reported address, because every 90 days you confirm that information, that you gave to them in the first place.

I'm sure 99.80% or more of all the foreigner, which do the 90 days report, do it truthfully (and unnecessary every 90 days) but the 0.20% which have bad intentions or maybe suspect that a visit from the BIB or Interpol in the future could be possible, will of course not provide the correct address.

So the 90 days report is as helpful to security in Thailand as this bucket is for transporting water:

leaking-bucket.jpg

I never claimed that the 90 day report is useful,helpful or whatever, but it is a requirement by Thai immigration law.

The fact that you were able to get a driver license mean that either immigration or your Embassy has delivered proof of address for it.

By law you are required to change the address on your official documents when you move house.

If this is done or not is not my business.

So if immigration considers the address on your driver license correct is neither my business, but it seems they do so.

Read my post above that for years I have used the electricity bill of my house as proof of residence for my reports, but the meter is in the name of a Thai person.

I have been here now for 9 months so on the last 90 day extension do to expire in August and will reapply then for my "marriage extension" (at Jomtien).

I have researched and it seems I need all of the same documentation I used last time again. I just have a couple of simple questions:

1. Can I use the same photos out front of our place of my wife and I and the brother in law and his wife that I used last time to support proof of residence?

2. I have the 2 options regarding finances. I have 400,000 + interest in a Term Deposit that will have been there for a year (a 2 year fixed term if I remember correctly) and I also qualify for the 40,000/mth income but need to go to the Embassy in Bangkok to get the Stat Dec. sorted. I woud prefer to use the Term Deposit details. Is that sufficient or should I take the trip to the Embasy?

Term deposit accounts are not accepted for extensions based on marriage so you will need the income letter for your extension.

Term deposit accounts are not accepted for extensions based on marriage ....

I wonder why not? They accept them for retirement extensions.

(Personally I'm more than happy to stay single and deposit the extra 400K. Being married would surely cost me a lot more than that.)

• Like 2

(Personally I'm more than happy to stay single and deposit the extra 400K. Being married would surely cost me a lot more than that.)

I think it may be that you don't have ready access to the account without penalties until the term is over but I agree, one should be able to put a term deposit on as "security" and finances one could use if required.

I think it may be that you don't have ready access to the account without penalties until the term is over but I agree, one should be able to put a term deposit on as "security" and finances one could use if required.

The same argument applies to deposits for retirement extensions but I know they accept TDs for that, at least the TDs that allow for early withdrawal (with eventual loss of interest). I think most TDs fall into this category these days.

• 2 weeks later...

Only just read this topic. New member!

Anyway, I have renewed in Pattaya for the last 7 years. They used to ask for proof of address etc, but the last couple of times the lady has given this info back to me saying it's not necessary - as she looks me up on the computer. If my 90 runs past the renewal of the retirement visa they point this out to me. I swear I have been in and out in less than 5 minutes on the last 2 occasions.

The British Consul told me some time ago "There is no formal direct link between the 90 day reporting and the retirement visa" If there was it would be 91.25 days (365/4)if you see what I mean.

The same argument applies to deposits for retirement extensions but I know they accept TDs for that, at least the TDs that allow for early withdrawal (with eventual loss of interest). I think most TDs fall into this category these days.

Who says that the Thai immigration laws should make sense. 555

Proof of address when extending an O-A visa has been feature in Chiang Mai for about two years, however, the idea that it was required was poo poo'ed by many initially - lease, rental agreement or yellow/blue books will satisfy..

• 2 weeks later...

I have been here now for 9 months so on the last 90 day extension do to expire in August and will reapply then for my "marriage extension" (at Jomtien).

I have researched and it seems I need all of the same documentation I used last time again. I just have a couple of simple questions:

1. Can I use the same photos out front of our place of my wife and I and the brother in law and his wife that I used last time to support proof of residence?

2. I have the 2 options regarding finances. I have 400,000 + interest in a Term Deposit that will have been there for a year (a 2 year fixed term if I remember correctly) and I also qualify for the 40,000/mth income but need to go to the Embassy in Bangkok to get the Stat Dec. sorted. I woud prefer to use the Term Deposit details. Is that sufficient or should I take the trip to the Embasy?

Term deposit accounts are not accepted for extensions based on marriage so you will need the income letter for your extension.

As usual, things change depending on the official. I went to Jomtien to query the requirements. Saw the same officer who processed my first extension application last year. She was fine with me using a Fixed Term Deposit account book if I also take a letter from the bank. Go figure.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app