Will an interim Thai prime minister spark civil strife?

webfact

BURNING ISSUE
Will an interim prime minister spark civil strife?

Attayuth Bootsripoom

BANGKOK: -- Two major issues - legitimacy and feasibility - hang over the latest call by the People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) for the Senate speaker, presidents of the three top courts and chairman of the Election Commission (EC) to nominate a premier under the Constitution's Article 7.

PDRC's proposal has attracted criticism and begged the question over what would happen if the proposal were pushed through. Would it end the current political conflict or would it plunge the country into civil strife? Fearing Suthep's plan will meet success, the government camp is trying hard to have him and other PDRC leaders arrested.

At this critical juncture, the public is split over whether the country really needs an appointed prime minister. Government supporters say there is no need because Niwattumrong Boonsongpaisan is already serving as acting PM, while the anti-government camp believes otherwise. The latter has been calling for a prime minister to be nominated under the so-called Article 7.

The issue of appointing a prime minister is also being highly politicised by the two rival political camps. Chiefs of the country's three highest courts - the Supreme Court, the Supreme Administrative Court and Constitutional Court - the Senate Speaker and EC chairman have a lot to consider before deciding to jump on the bandwagon and getting involved in politics by accepting PDRC's proposal.

The judiciary is extremely important to maintain justice, law and order in the country. In order to preserve public trust and faith in the institution, the courts need to be non-partisan or politically neutral. The stake would be huge if the public lost confidence in the judges. The ramifications and damage in this scenario would be much greater than that if the public loses faith in independent agencies.

A senior judge, who refused to be named, recently voiced disapproval over getting the judiciary involved in politics. He said judges could not cross the line since the proposal had no legal basis and there was no law empowering the courts to nominate a PM.

Although the EC secretary-general has voiced opposition to the PDRC's proposal, the commission is one independent agency with a tendency to take a stance against the government camp - and it might just accept the suggestion.

Newly-elected acting Senate Speaker Surachai Liengboonlertchai allegedly has close ties with the PDRC. After being elected, he called a special session saying that without the Lower House, the Senate was the only institution that could solve Thailand’s political crisis. However, he said, he had not considered nominating a non-partisan PM.

If these top officials reject the PDRC's proposal, Suthep would be forced to find other ways to nominate the PM, as his group wishes. Even if he finally succeeds with his plan, the political conflict is not likely to end because opponents will reject it, leaving people to believe the PM in question would serve the interests of the PDRC and its allies, not that of the country.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-05-15

• Like 1

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Do people really have to answer this? Of course it will. When you want to use unconstitutional means to overthrow an elected government it is going to cause convict.

Depends on if they clear it with Thaksin first or not.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Stradavarius37, you must really love Thaksin. You seem to give him so much credits. You have various types of citizens with various educational levels and experiences. They can analyze the political matter and make the decisions for themselves.

You are a fool to think that the red shirts don't do exactly what Thaksin tells them to do. Love him? I despise him, he is a power hungry troll. But to pretend that he is not the power, brains, controlling arm behind the red shirts, Puea Thai, etc, is just stupid.

• Like 2

Do people really have to answer this? Of course it will. When you want to use unconstitutional means to overthrow an elected government it is going to cause convict.

Well they did not use unconstitutional means. Yingluck shut it down herself. The Constitution ruled on her

breaking the law laid out by the constitution. Get your facts straight.
Will there be conflict. Depends entirely on Thaksin.
I think he lost a lot of people recently when he refused to pay them the 1,000 baht bribe and they took it to the police.

Stradavarius37, you must really love Thaksin. You seem to give him so much credits. You have various types of citizens with various educational levels and experiences. They can analyze the political matter and make the decisions for themselves.

Well you are correct in what you say except you under estimate Thaksin and give honor where it does not belong.coffee1.gif

Thaksin has many of these people on his pay roll.facepalm.gif

You have mine and buckley's, strife will haunt Thailand even if you have a proper elected government, let alone an interim PM , the Thaskin one sure managed to mess up a great country with he's totalitarian dreams, trouble is the rest of the PTP dream with him, their body language, double speak alone tells me to avoid these people like the plague bah.gif

• Like 1

Well they did not use unconstitutional means. Yingluck shut it down herself. The Constitution ruled on her

breaking the law laid out by the constitution. Get your facts straight.
Will there be conflict. Depends entirely on Thaksin.
I think he lost a lot of people recently when he refused to pay them the 1,000 baht bribe and they took it to the police.

Well you are correct in what you say except you under estimate Thaksin and give honor where it does not belong.coffee1.gif alt=coffee1.gif width=32 height=24>

Thaksin has many of these people on his pay roll. alt=facepalm.gif>

You folks don't know how to read apparently.

• Like 1

Don't call the interim person a PM.....call him an admistrator.....!

yes give it a different name. "interim reform administrator" or anything else. Or if he is from the other side, for example Tida: "Central Secretary Of The Peoples Revolutionary Committee"

If Suthep gets his way of a non elected PM, you can be very sure that there will no longer be any need for an elected PM as the PDRC will block any election called by simply forcing the closure of a couple of election centers during any election so as to make the election null and void. They will play this game until Suthep is satisfied.

If there is an elected PM all sides must agree to a timetable for a national elections and only allow the non elected PM to be in place for 6 months at a max.

• Like 1

It's not about Thaksin and Suthep. It's about individual freedom and justice, law and order for all people. It's about ridding Thailand of the culture of corruption that is pervasive. Thais are actually arguing over which faction should be in charge of the take. The Thai press feeds n to this sickness.

Exactly you sum it up quite well. I am utterly tired of this cultural need to Win or appear to win. Can live and let live, and accepting that not everyone can agree and all live their lives to their own tune.

The big picture of Law, liberty and self determination for the people of thailand being threatened by this continued crap and its potential outcomes really concerns me.

Furthermore and a bit off the reply, is everyone realise, yeah they liked democracy under Thaksin and Thai Rak Thai and are eager for a second swing at prosperity or whatever it was that attracts them to it. But time to see the position not the person in the position, put your vote where it will bring you the leadership they want. But noo, lets tear apart the country, over what, the past.

• Like 1

My government?

It's not my government or your government it's the thai people government!

And the thai people should have the right to vote for whatever party they chose.Not being told who will govern them by people who crave power by the way of intimidating bullying and blocking people their basic right to vote.

So the yellows claim they have the numbers. That's a good thing!

Now call for an election and all parties put up their policies and go for it!

The only problem I see lately is that the leader of the democrats has been missing in action for a few days now.Not one statement from him on anything.

I just hope he is doing his own planning for Thailands future and gives the people other alternatives to chose from.

Sutep should be made irrelevant and as for the mad monk he has his own plans if sutep fails and who knows what's install then!

The last paragraph pretty much sums it up !

An election on july 20 is the way to go!

Stop shutting the people out.Its gone on long enough and Thailand and it's people are now in tis state limbo and the frustration and violence will continue as nobody on either side will except any decision that goes against them.

The Dems won't run in any election, thus there will never be enough seats filled to form government. Thus the election will be voided...again. The Dems have enough support to make this happen, as has been seen. So either there 1) will be an election with the dems running (not likely), 2) an interim PM is put in place, or 3) there is a coup. No much of a choice, is it? T me, a coup at least kicks out both thugs and will let their heads cool for a couple of years. It also slams the lid shut on the cookie jar to stop more wastage of tax payers money.

• Like 1

Excuse me

The majority of Thailand love Thaksin, thats what a vote proves, 1vote 1 person. Seems like the yellows dont like this, and want to keep the majority down, scared they might get more education and wealth.

• Like 1

Excuse me

The majority of Thailand love Thaksin, thats what a vote proves, 1vote 1 person. Seems like the yellows dont like this, and want to keep the majority down, scared they might get more education and wealth.

My government?

It's not my government or your government it's the thai people government!

And the thai people should have the right to vote for whatever party they chose.Not being told who will govern them by people who crave power by the way of intimidating bullying and blocking people their basic right to vote.

So the yellows claim they have the numbers. That's a good thing!

Now call for an election and all parties put up their policies and go for it!

The only problem I see lately is that the leader of the democrats has been missing in action for a few days now.Not one statement from him on anything.

I just hope he is doing his own planning for Thailands future and gives the people other alternatives to chose from.

Sutep should be made irrelevant and as for the mad monk he has his own plans if sutep fails and who knows what's install then!

Hey Freddy Davis (ex parrot face-comic fame UK tv.)

Who knows who your post is answering to ??? you do not use the post to reply WHY ?? #13 is the original---get on board mate.

I said Your government because of your over protective denials.

The rest of this post is a photo copy of Land fill. Until you post and give true accounts of the initial problems you will never be a favourite poster, posters are looking for genuine replies.

Edited by ginjag

There are not even enough in the Judiciary to push this through.

You have a few Senators who say they will nominate a PM ... Maybe... if they do, he'll be rejected and that is a guarantee. Won't work and every decision he (they'll never dream of a woman in power!) makes will have to be enforced at gun point where they have the man power and will be ignored in most of the country where they don't.

Telling yesterday was suthep leaving Gov House under a cloud and calling on the EC to ensure elections are free of vote buying!!!! Now that spoke voumes to me.

Not sure on links to Thai PBS but that's where I read it.

• Like 2