Unrest consequence to haunt Thailand for years

webfact

Unrest consequence to haunt the country for years

5-15-2014-9-26-59-AM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Private sector says political unrest is severely affecting the economy with warning that its impact could still be felt in the next 2-3 years.

At the business forum held in Bangkok Wednesday, Mr Veerapong Ramangkura, former deputy prime minister, said confidences of consumers and investors have been dampened by the political unrest which has been prolonged since late last year.

He said its impact could still be felt on the economy in the next 2-3 years.

Economic growth in the first and second quarter of this year could be negative as government investment has been stalled while foreign investors have become cautious in investing in the country, he said.

His thought was also shared by Anan Asvapokin, president of Land and House Public Co Ltd.

He said Thailand’s economy would face negative growth this year if there is no formation of the new government soon.

Small and medium enterprises are facing liquidity problems, which would also affect employment.

A banker Mr Bootak Wangcharoen, president of Thai Banker’s Association, said if the new government is formed within this year, it is still possible for the economy to grow at 2-2.2 percent.

Without a new government, he said the economy will expand by only 1.5-1.6 percent.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/unrest-consequence-haunt-country-years/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-05-15

would he be imprisoned if he stated that GNP would decline?

During Sutheps administration that would be a possible stirring up unrest comment and a threat to national security. Depending on where his connections is of course.

• Like 1

Looks like someone has finally got it.

It was inevitable that foreign investment, tourism and local spending would fall,, what else could happen.

Problem is where is the end? Who is there to step in right now and preset a solution and credible political party for the Thai people?

I can't read Thai but I have not heard of any party talking about solutions and sensible policies, how are people supposed to vote? What is their decision going to based on?

I hope I am wrong but I can't see Thailand moving forward in the coming year or so. The Thai people certainly deserve a break from it all but I just can't see the end at the moment.

• Like 2

Those who do not learn from their mistakes...are doomed to repeat them...this is Thai politics and culture...

This "mistake" you deign to label, this period in Thai history, is being played out in all countries, where, the CIA and the American Administration leading in for the big banks, create their quagmires of control and networks of deception.

These "mistakes" are felt in many countries, world wide.

Pray teach the Thai people the wisdom of your experience, if they cannot see it themselves.

At least those that are aware of it, are trying to do something about it and in true Thai fashion they are doing it in your face

and on the street with their voices, guts, flags, tee-shirts, bandannas, knives and guns, while in the West, the sheep go quietly to their economic, cultural and social slaughter, whining impotently about their voracious governments.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Those who do not learn from their mistakes...are doomed to repeat them...this is Thai politics and culture...

This "mistake" you deign to label, this period in Thai history, is being played out in all countries, where, the CIA and the American Administration leading in for the big banks, create their quagmires of control and networks of deception.

Pray teach the Thai people the wisdom of your experience, if they cannot see it themselves.

At least those that are aware of it, are trying to do something about it and in true Thai fashion they are doing it in your face

and on the street with their voices, guts, flags, tee-shirts, bandannas, knives and guns, while in the West, the sheep go quietly to their economic, cultural and social slaughter, whining impotently about their voracious governments.

OMG...I had no idea that the US...could possibly be influencing Thai politics and culture for the past several decades...and "all countries" also...wow...they have out done themselves...it is near impossible to teach corrupt people much of anything...

That has to be the dumbest thing I heard yet. He thinks USA causing the problems in Thailand! Stupid hateful man.

Edited by brubakertx

Yet another post of (nicely written) clap trap comparing Thailand to the West. Yawn...

I am not sure of the exact number but Thailand has endured about 18 military coups in just the last 80 years (read the details recently). If this is not failing to learn from your mistakes I don't know what is.

I could elaborate for you on other points such as the repeated tolerance of so called "leaders" and politicians who display blatant nepotism and cronyism and do little but serve their own interests.

I am off now to google how many Western, democratic countries have had military coups in the last century.

It's up to the people to keep their leaders honest. Good luck with your search,

but I suppose its just a bit of rhetorical arch.

I don't see it as a repetition of previous mistakes, but a failure to grasp the real issues

in the first place, and that is a world wide problem. It certainly is where I come from

and its getting worse, not better. Democracy is getting less democratic. Its a world wide trend

and here is no different.

The principals that formed modern democracy, were perfected by the British with the Magna Carta, however the

common laws that protected the people are being eroded. Democracy itself need to be redefined and not just

as a vote.

That has to be the dumbest thing I heard yet. He thinks USA causing the problems in Thailand! Stupid hateful man.

No claims to being articulate there anyway. When you don't know what your are talking about. I wouldn't draw attention to it.