Why are farang so unhappy about successful farang in Thailand?

Tmymaimee

Because a good 50+% of members on this site are losers who have failed most oftheir lives. Namely 'tall poppy syndrome'

Lol, Larry that's nice, do you have the info available to back this up, are you in the other percentage, whatever re that might be?

:-)

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For myself, I have never seen a farang become successful in Thailand, either they are rich when they come, and love the 2nd world because it allows them to feel more important than they would at home, or they get into something illegal in Thailand. Either is nothing to really brag about. In a country with so many poor people, coming here with one's trust fund or cashed out 401k so they can lord over others is a but pathetic. It is possible a working class foreigner has climbed up in Thailand, but I have never seen it.

I must admit, after reading your topic this morning ... 3-girlfriends-at-once-life-is-good

I am so envious of your situation.

... coffee1.gif

I am too...... I think I'm successful, not sure though but maybe I am. One think is for sure I am not as happy as I once was. Hope you are happy dragging this out of me thereby making me more unhappy realizing how successful and unhappy I am.

For myself, I have never seen a farang become successful in Thailand, either they are rich when they come, and love the 2nd world because it allows them to feel more important than they would at home, or they get into something illegal in Thailand. Either is nothing to really brag about. In a country with so many poor people, coming here with one's trust fund or cashed out 401k so they can lord over others is a but pathetic. It is possible a working class foreigner has climbed up in Thailand, but I have never seen it.

Owner of Ex Pat Car rentals, started with very little about 13 years ago, and through hard work and a good Thai partner has become very successful.

Ditto owner of Canterbury Tales.

Thailand is not a place for creating wealth. Of course there are exceptions but for the vast majority of people it is not possible to accumulate the same wealth as you would elsewhere. Many retire to Thailand after accumulating wealth elsewhere and many more choose to live in Thailand but earn money elsewhere. For the vast majority of those who live and work in Thailand earnings are mediocre compared to what is available in other countries. For me Thailand is the best place in the world to live but as for accumulating wealth I choose to earn money elsewhere.

My observations about posters on Thai Visa is generally that there are a number of posters who tend to be mostly negative and sarcastic. Not all are like that but a number significant enough to be noticeable Seems like most of the negative posters actually reside in Thailand. I do not live in Thailand but have been traveling to Thailand since my first trip in 1972. I know many expats and Thais alike. I have spent a lot of time there but am no expert. I have however spent a significant enough amount of time with expats to see how many of them live. I would put expats into two main groups. Those that are married and been able to work legally at well paying jobs and have made a life in Thailand, and those who have retired or those who have decided to retire early and live in Thailand. The first group is generally more positive while the second group tends to be more negative. Obviously there are exceptions.

Those who have retired in Thailand or those who have retired early generally speaking are on fixed incomes and mostly single males. The early retirees are the ones making visa runs and are most likely living under more stress. The retirees moved to Thailand because it is inexpensive to live and/or because sex is available (not putting all into same category here). To me income is the critical factor. Most of the group who are on fixed incomes are not by any measure living the "good life" in Thailand. I am not saying they are living on the edge but their incomes don't allow them to live the type of life where they have a lot of discretionary income to spend on out of the ordinary good times, i.e. travel, fine dining or whatever. Many are men, not married, either still trying to hook up with bar girls and finding that type of life less than satisfying or those that might be married or have girlfriends and finding that cultural/age differences are sometimes difficult. These people live with more stress. Many end up living as expats among expat friends of like economic means. They find life not as fulfilling as those that work and have good jobs and they therefore tend to be more negative about things when posting here.

Thai Visa is an outlet for them to vent anger, hostility, etc. They become jealous of those that have more and are successful. Obviously these are generalizations and do not apply to all posters. But from years of reading and posting on TV, my observations are that there are just a lot of negative people here with no life. They hate the hi-so Thais, they hate the Shinawatras, they hate the wealthy kids that spend more in one evening then the retires can spend in a month, they hate the fact that Thailand has a class society, they hate other posters who are successful, happy and positive mostly because they have are none of these things. It is the old "sour-grapes" mentality. I certainly do not believe that all posters fit in this category but let's face facts, if you are on the computer posting something negative or sarcastic on every damn article on this and that you need to get out and get a life. Sure we all have opinions and even I do my share of postings but I don't live on this forum. I do have a life outside of Thailand and Thai Visa. Living in a foreign country such as Thailand with the dramatic cultural/language differences and living with financial limitations is stressful and I think you see that come out particularly when someone is posting about being happy and successful in their endeavors.

With that said, I also know that there are many people on this forum that do not fit in any category I have suggested above. We are all different and many of us just enjoy keeping abreast of things going on in Thailand and posting our opinions. I mostly read the posts to look for the witty, dry humor that many of you are so good at. I am often looking just for a witty remark which brings me a smile. But let's face facts, there is definitely a significant number of negative and/or sarcastic posts here and that tells you something about those posters. So don't let those negatives sour your day and keep posting about the bright side of life and successes.

Well written and said . . .

My thread about the 3 girls actually had nothing to do with me per se...it was intended as a reflection of how Thai girls can so accepting of such an arrangement in contrast to normal society.

I recall the thread about the 40 million baht house for sale where half the posters could do nothing more than criticize it. It was a beautiful home by any standard.

I see the English teachers everyday on the BTS with their cheap, sweat stained suits and worn out shoes. I simply don't get what they're trying to achieve. They'll likely never amount to anything if they don't go back to society and establish a career. If they're happy, then more power to them but they sure look frustrated.

Maybe their is such a diverse range of people living here that there's no common interests....I have no idea but I've sure met some unhappy people in my time here. One guy tried to convince me that anyone who chose to live east of Sukhumvit in Pattaya would be murdered within a year, as locals would knock you off your bike to rob you. When I informed him that I drive a car, he couldn't grasp that not all farang were as rundown as him.

Whereustay - I know ppl are having a good time with this and your other threads but I guess you've made your point. But at the end of the day, who cares what others think? Will it make your life any better or worse, no.

About the thread abt the 3 girls, you should have mentioned in there what the intention was as others obviously thought otherwise.

Just stay real.

All the successful foreigners I know in Chiang Mai, were successful before they came to Thailand.

Thailand is a place to relax and spend your money, not a place to try and earn it.

Yeh, I do know a few losers pretending to run a successful business in CM, but it's only cos they didn't make enough money in the west to survive here.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 1

Wow, Whereustay is actually talking about something else besides getting laid. How refreshing.

As for the OP, I have no problem with anyone becoming successful in life. I applaud them. The problem is people tend to come on TV and lie about their success, as if to impress people and in essence, making their opinion about anything more credible. Or so they think. Unless it's somehow essential to the issue being discussed, why even bring up your personal wealth?

But why the assumption they are lying? Perhaps they are entirely truthful....you don't know unless you've met them. I'm not referring to personal wealth necessarily. If someone talks about a new Mercedes they bought and the topic was new cars, so therefore entirely relevant to the topic, why so many posters on TV would be negative towards him?

I only ask this because I'm on a sailboat forum for a bit now, and everyone seems to get along so well, are helpful and encouraging. Here it seems like its just so many, angry, bitter people when you talk about so many topics.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif Anyone who had owns a Mercedes is most likely going to be unhappy. It started with the electrical systems in 2000 and built up with the defective sensors, with the crowning glory of the light bulbs that burnt out after only a few hours. There are a lot of ex owners out there who are justifiably unhappy. They are being joined now by the GM vehicle owners seething at all the defects. Eventually, the BMW owners will show up. The 2 biggest complaints The tan upholstery that stains and discolours so easily and those stupid spring controlled covers over the front light washers that are the most useless pieces of cheap garbage BMW has ever come up with. The things stop working after a few months or just break off. In cases like this, the people get sympathy not anger. It is commiseration.

Sorry guys - I do not have a GT-19500 (is it a shaver)?

I did not attain wealth status in LOS. In fact, my wealth has declined significantly since my arrival (12 years ago). I can relate to wealth (self-made) with experience - I was a millionaire by age 40.

So f.....g what? It was NEVER ENOUGH ANYWAY! NEVER WOULD BE!

I needed to "suffer" to realise eg health issues & broken relationships

Top pad with a great view of course, BMW, the "right name" golf clubs, $$$ - on & on & on!

In hindsight - 25 years ago - it is definitely all BS! A con! Who are your REAL friends?

Living in LOS, life could not be better - it may get better - I do not think about it!

Do I choose pauper status - of course not. Give me the "middle road".

Now, I can fart - or not fart. I can watch TV - or not. I can eat when I choose - or not. Selfish - no - just FREEDOM! I am free of the shackles of life (I think)!

My most valuable asset! My Thai wife! I say Thai because I have had many relationships; many nationalities - it is a little similar to $$$ - it is never "just right". Living in LOS has been a wonderful journey - even reading, posting in TV is pleasurable!

Important "things" to me - not in order of priority:

$$$ - enough - I will "stick" my head out here - "silly" - I think B15m (incl home)(at my age)(I do not live in BKK, Phuket or Pattaya - CNX!) is "necessary" or a reasonable pension & far capital - but "Up to you".

quality relationship/s - only a few - not TOO many - less is better?

health - I do know that

few regrets/disappointments

no unresolved life issues

time

sobriety

never late at the Immigration Office - wife takes prime responsibility

time for/with ME

simplicity of life

no constipation

no gym

ability to speak a little Thai (I am not fluent)

Now, I have no share portfolio (no worry); no pension (no worry); a 10yo car (no worry); enough $$$ in a Thai bank (no FE concerns) - enough for 40+ years - I am 65yo; my wife controls the $$$ (I do not even know how much we spend each month - B30k? - who cares). we spend more than my income - so f.....g what? we live in a nice house;

I DO check my bank balances (but am working on that problem);

What I really enjoy - communication with my wife! Spending time together.

There is a great book by Dr Dhammananda ??? - "How to Live without Fear & Worry"

My greatest liability - blood relatives in my native country - full of criticism & derision; always imposing their ill-informed values upon me; demanding that I telephone them; come back; demanding financial assistance (never enough) - BS!

A great decision - after 12 years. Cease communication totally! Wise!

Thanks TV members

Edited by cnx37

Posters on this and other topics seem compelled to preface their remarks with how many people they know or have met in Thailand of one or another persuasion. My observation is that when you meet so many people peripherally you only get to know about them what they want you to get to know about them.

Me -- I don't know lots of farang or Thais in Thailand and that is just fine by me.

• Like 1

Wow, Whereustay is actually talking about something else besides getting laid. How refreshing.

As for the OP, I have no problem with anyone becoming successful in life. I applaud them. The problem is people tend to come on TV and lie about their success, as if to impress people and in essence, making their opinion about anything more credible. Or so they think. Unless it's somehow essential to the issue being discussed, why even bring up your personal wealth?

But why the assumption they are lying? Perhaps they are entirely truthful....you don't know unless you've met them. I'm not referring to personal wealth necessarily. If someone talks about a new Mercedes they bought and the topic was new cars, so therefore entirely relevant to the topic, why so many posters on TV would be negative towards him?

I only ask this because I'm on a sailboat forum for a bit now, and everyone seems to get along so well, are helpful and encouraging. Here it seems like its just so many, angry, bitter people when you talk about so many topics.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif Anyone who had owns a Mercedes is most likely going to be unhappy. It started with the electrical systems in 2000 and built up with the defective sensors, with the crowning glory of the light bulbs that burnt out after only a few hours. There are a lot of ex owners out there who are justifiably unhappy. They are being joined now by the GM vehicle owners seething at all the defects. Eventually, the BMW owners will show up. The 2 biggest complaints The tan upholstery that stains and discolours so easily and those stupid spring controlled covers over the front light washers that are the most useless pieces of cheap garbage BMW has ever come up with. The things stop working after a few months or just break off. In cases like this, the people get sympathy not anger. It is commiseration.

Back in in 1986 I bought my first Mercedes 350SL.

Ive had a love affair with that model ever since.
Never been one to think the grass is greener.
I now have 3 SLC's, 1975 models which I have restored here in Thailand.
I found these old models reliable and hard to fault.
But I must say I am '' a lucky'' kind of guy.
Never had one of these newer models, so I don't know if Mercedes are crap now.
Not heard my friends complain though.

Owning a Mercedes in Thailand -- at least for the Thai-Chinese grandmothers who seem to be the major owners of these cars -- means you always have the right of way. Have you ever seen one of those drivers yield to anyone?

I think it's just basic human nature. Anyone who gets a leg up always seems to have a gang of folks trying to pull them back down. Perhaps it's because the other person's success reminds them of their own inadequacies, who knows. Personally, I think what you got, is what you got, whether it's a little or whether it's a lot.

Be grateful and move on.

I did not attain wealth status in LOS. In fact, my wealth has declined significantly since my arrival (12 years ago).

I can relate to wealth (self-made) with experience - I was a millionaire by age 40.

Top pad with a great view of course, BMW, the "right name" golf clubs, $$$ - on & on & on!

In hindsight - 25 years ago - it is definitely all BS! A con! Who are your REAL friends?

Living in LOS, life could not be better - it may get better - I do not think about it!

Now, I can fart - or not fart. I can watch TV - or not. I can eat when I choose - or not. Selfish - no - just FREEDOM! I am free of the shackles of life (I think)!

My most valuable asset! My Thai wife! I say Thai because I have had many relationships; many nationalities - it is a little similar to $$$ - it is never "just right". Living in LOS has been a wonderful journey - even reading, posting in TV is pleasurable!

$$$ - enough - I will "stick" my head out here - "silly" - I think B10-15m (incl home) is "necessary" or a reasonable pension & far less capital - but "Up to you".

health - I do know that

time

sobriety

time for/with ME

simplicity of life

no constipation

no gym

Now, I have no share portfolio (no worry); no pension (no worry); a 10yo car (no worry); enough $$$ in a Thai bank (no FE concerns) - enough for 40+ years - I am 65yo; my wife controls the $$$ (I do not even know how much we spend each month - B30k? - who cares). we spend more than my income - so f.....g what? we live in a nice house;

There is a great book by Dr Dhammananda ??? - "How to Live without Fear & Worry"

My greatest liability - blood relatives in my native country - full of criticism & derision; always imposing their ill-informed values upon me; demanding that I telephone them; come back; demanding financial assistance (never enough) - BS!

Thanks TV members

Thanks for sharing all that - sounds like you've got your priorities in order. good for you! People bitch and moan and complain because they don't have their own house in order. I used to take it personally, but as I've grown older I have a saying "It's not mine." Mine is the pretty satisfying life I've chosen to live here in Thailand. Like JLCrab says - I don't have many friends here. But that's fine. I recently returned to the memorial services of two best buddies who passed on. I realized when i was there that I have a few hundred friends - many who love and miss me. But I don't need a friends collection, or seek continual validation for who I am. But many people do, and I guess TV is a good place for that, if that's what you want. I'm a story teller, and I enjoy reading other peoples stories, like the one you posted here. Wisdom has more value than wealthy. Living with "what you need" is more important than "what you want." You're blessed to have found a good Thai wife. A friend from my US island - a multi-millionaire who had a mansion overlooking the ocean, 67 years old - dumped all that and came here and is with a beautiful 30 year old wife and newborn baby, living a simple life, like a regular guy, happier than he's ever been. That's the best. Before I came here my rent was $3000 a month, big house, two cars. Now I live in a 35m studio, with a yard and fish pond and haven't driven a car in three years. I'm happier than I have ever been. No stress. The only thing I have to decide every morning is what coffee shop to go to today. And the only thing I'm missing from my ideal life is that beautiful Thai wife, like yours and my friends. It's sad to see these farangs in bars drinking their lives away and bitching and complaining about this and that. What the hell? Live is a precious gift and it doesn't take much here to have a wonderful life.

• Like 1

In thailand most Farang's are viewed as being rich. I'm a farang not what you can call rich but You can say comfortable with what I have. If Wealth is guage you use to decide sucess then you must be a shallow person. For there are others things to guage a sucessful person other than money. wai.gif No disrespect.intended.

I must admit, after reading your topic this morning ... 3-girlfriends-at-once-life-is-good

I am so envious of your situation.

... coffee1.gif

I am too...... I think I'm successful, not sure though but maybe I am. One think is for sure I am not as happy as I once was. Hope you are happy dragging this out of me thereby making me more unhappy realizing how successful and unhappy I am.

I'm not good at Cryptic Crosswords.

Anyone one want to have a stab at translating poweratradio's post ?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I did not attain wealth status in LOS. In fact, my wealth has declined significantly since my arrival (12 years ago). I can relate to wealth (self-made) with experience - I was a millionaire by age 40.

$$$ - enough - I will "stick" my head out here - "silly" - I think B15m (incl home)(at my age)(I do not live in BKK, Phuket or Pattaya - CNX!) is "necessary" or a reasonable pension & far capital - but "Up to you".

health - I do know that

time

sobriety

time for/with ME

simplicity of life

no constipation

no gym

Thanks TV members

You, sir, are surely insane, and as such must be the most perfectly sane of all. You display a scatterbrained focus so bizarrely sharp in purpose and practicality you must surely be a genius wai.gif

(But unlike the man in the song, I really do mean that most sincerely.)

• Like 1

In Western culture, a 'Big Face' is dishonorable.

In Christian belief, being humble is to be like GOD and to brag is to be like Satan - Such feeling pervade Western culture.

I regularly donate to charity, but few know it - my wife is last to know...LOL

My wife loves to help at a local temple, but then she and her friends talk about what they have done.

None of them brag, but when the discussion is overheard, it seems to be bragging.

To me this is embarassing, as she should be humble, especially as everyone has seen her working and knows what she has done.

THUS, a successful foreigner who is brags about his success, his new car or a new house, he is viewed as a pig.

• Like 1

You're probably right. You should stick to your own class like I do - they're an infinitely superior group of people. At my Marina in Phuket, I throw the food leftovers from my parties into the water and watch the plebs swim for it. The less well-off swim funny! My supermodel wife laughs and laughts and tells me how super I am. I believe her and everyone else should too.

pathetic.

INSANITY - a luxury & a treasure!

To have B400-800k in a special bank a/c for retirement visa - VG! Under 50yo, I doubt that I would be in LOS.

Car - OK. Thankfully, the wife takes care. Gas, washing, tax, insurance etc - a bloody headache. On my own, I would not have one!

M/C - cannot ride one - dangerous - have a look at the hospitals

A home/a condo - nice - I like that. Rent or buy - up to you. Living in a mansion - solo - no thanks. On my own - condo. I started in a guesthouse; then a condo; next a house - slowly, slowly!

$$$ in bank - enough is enough

O/seas trips - count me out

Holidays in LOS - OK - occasionally

Super yachts - No

Merc, BMW - No

A chat - a few friends - ample

Wife - g/f - a treasure! My 1st 2 years here (CNX), F....d myself stupid - age 20-50yo. Throroughly recommended - mandatory? Then, I CHOSE to settle down - it was the "natural' course to take. Running around at 65+ - not my idea of fun! We are selling our condo. A female Thai sales rep visited - married to a farang. He is a "player". Is she happy, content? Not bloody likely - logical.

So, all these beautiful young Thai ladies/girls just enjoy getting "laid'? No one is getting "hurt"?

Man, I got a "catch" - caring, honest - 10+ years of bliss. I'll take what I already have, thank you!

I would suggest that most of us are not "players'. OK in the early days, I guess. L/t? - No.

To find a lady in LOS - too simple! To find "quality" lady (not $$$, HiSo etc - "jai dee" - a greater challenge - but very "do-able"!) Where would I look for "my" lady? Not BKK, Pattaya, Phuket! CNX, Chiang Rai, whereever - ThaiLoveLinks etc - but be very careful (of course). A rich lady - probably not. MIDDLE - JUST FINE! Learn the language, accept Thai culture (there are no free lunches) - I have sponsored my Thai family a little - slowly - at my pace - no coercion.

Am I a fool - probably - happy - Yes.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You're probably right. You should stick to your own class like I do - they're an infinitely superior group of people. At my Marina in Phuket, I throw the food leftovers from my parties into the water and watch the plebs swim for it. The less well-off swim funny! My supermodel wife laughs and laughts and tells me how super I am. I believe her and everyone else should too.

pathetic.

Sure, most certainly - If you're swimming for the leftovers and gawking up at the unobtainable and untouchable (for plebs) perfection of my supermodel's rack. Otherwise ... not so much. Why oh why, so many haters and so little time for sailing and showcasing assets? It's a damn shame and impolite to boot. The less well-off are downers.

• Like 1