Anyone been/lived in Mauritius?

Just wondering if anyone has been there or lived there. I'm on the long term lookout for alternative places to live where the weather is warm, the place is nice visually, some English is spoken, multi cultural, can own your own home, low taxes etc Mauritius seems to tick a lot of boxes and browsing through an expat forum there, it seems everyone seems a lot happier than the grumpy people on my local Phuket forum.

Only downside I've seen is the possibility of getting hit by cyclones.

"To be eligible for a residence permit, a retired non-citizen must undertake to transfer to his/her local bank account in Mauritius, at least 40,000 US dollars annually, or its equivalent in any freely convertible foreign currency."

Have been, but quite some time ago and just as tourist. Did not leave the wish to ever return. Its NOT multicultural, its Indian with some remains of old Brit reignship. Its small, for 98% covered with sugarcane and just a few kms of beach on 2 spots and also fairly populous. Tries, I think by now more succesfull as then, to attract hi-profile tourists in luxury resorts. No idea of how many expats would,lve there now and from where, but a quick google or wiki would probably give results.. At that time it attracted a fair lot of Zuidafrikaners to escape the troubles in their country.

I was there about 10 years ago. My remaining impressions: lots of wind all the time and lots of inaccessible coastline. The wind might be seasonal thing, but even though there is a lot of nice coastline you could only access it at a few public beaches. The rest of the coast was private land with houses' gardens extending to the shoreline and no public access.

Did not leave me with a feeling of wanting to go back one day.

There are many Mauritians that have immigrated to Australia since the Indians took control . All are very nice people in fact my daughter in law is French / Mauritian . Interesting history to the place with both British , French , African and Indian governments. I have not been there myself but have friends who have stayed at the expensive resorts . The cost of getting there is the main consideration with most flights going to South Africa or Perth.

If distance / remoteness is not that great an issue , consider Palau especially if you are from the US.

Flight is only 7 hours from KL, so pretty close to here. Currency there is about the same as the baht, and the costs from what I've seen are in line with Phuket. Granted Phuket is a lot more than the rest of Thailand ( BKK and Samui excepted). From what I've seen on local Mauritus forums, things have changed quite a bit since the posters above visited. I don't seeing wind being a bad thing, especially if you like to kitesurf. I don't see any problem with bringing in 40K USD per annum to live on, so that's not a problem either.

Funnily enough, there is a thread in a Mauritius forum about what expats don't like about the place, and it was the exact same about what expats don't like here, slow government, bad customer service, people chucking trash anywhere etc. What I didn't see was the surliness of the people which Phuket has in spades.

I've lived on Mauritius island for some time and I have to say that was one of my best times in my expat life. I think most people here refers to the northern part of the island when they talk about inaccessible beaches and dullness. On the southern coast however is very different. The little Indian communities in the south are very welcomingthe beaches are superb and there are some excellent diving sites. Food is great and yes, expats seem to be nicer altogether. General commodities however like renting a house or a bike can be less accessible than here in Thailand and definitely more expensive. Jobs are very hard tout get though as well as long term visas but if you can sort these out you can have a nice life.

• Like 2

Like the other I see who have replied to this forum, I went to Mauritius on a 2 week holiday and have never considered returning. The weather for a start was very poor even though we picked the dry season. The beaches were pretty unspectacular and the evening life was drab to say the least. I don't know about living there or the exact details but I can think of far better all round locations. Mauritius I thought was well over-rated. Sorry mate if we are busting your bubble.

• Like 1

Couple of answers to posts as they are totally inaccurate.

Car hire can seem expensive as most quote 1,000-1,200 rupees a day. We got ours for 600 a day. Taxis are safe friendly and will not rip you off but they are not cheap. Agree the price and that's it. You can rent scooters and the locals won't let your tyres down.

Beaches are mostly owned by the big resorts but there are plenty of public beaches that are stunning. I recall stunning La Morne, Grand Baie, Cap Malheureux, La Cuvette, Tamarin Flic en Flac etc......Access to fantastic beaches is not an issue. Also, as said you can go to the resort beaches as a tourist/foreigner by just buying a drink or a coffee. Hotel service in Mauritius is among the best in the world.

Yes...many Indians but they are industrious and are friendly and will not hassle you. I did not meet one Brit.

Windy East coast and quite rocky....wet interior because of the high mountains. North very busy in tourist season and South more laid back. East pretty undeveloped and very local. The West is coming on and again hasn't a lot in tropical beaches.

Rubbish everywhere? I didn't see it. Beaches are spotless as is the sea. There is a coral reef all round the island which means the lagoon is usually flat calm.

I saw apartments and houses for $500,000 that will give you residence. I saw a really tasty 2 bed apartment in Flic en Flac, a popular area, for €50,000. It is possible to buy a rough local place for a very small sum.

I had reason to go to a local hospital. Seen within 10 minutes.....quick examination and the pills came from the on site pharmacy. All for free!! Like posted here... SOME hospitals are first class.

Curepipe amd Flac I liked because of their local feel and lack of tourists. they also were busy towns with plenty of shops, etc. Phoenix is also a large town/city. Port Louis is the capital and a mix of ultra modern with shacks!

Population is 1.3m in a small area but you really do not notice.

• Like 1

http://pmo.gov.mu/English/dha/Mandate/Pages/Resident-Permit-and-Visa.aspx

May be helpful. Seems $500,000 investment 0r $40,000 per year into Mauritius for 3 years will give residence.

By the way unlike Thailand where you can't own land and the national past time is robbing/stealing foreigners property, you actually own the property in Mauritius.

• Like 1

Thanks ThaiMouse, that's some good info. Was there any particular reason why you didn't want to make the move to there?

Yes. One I am still quite fine with staying on Phuket, as it is convenient and the area north of Heroines Monument is still relatively safe, compared to say Rawai area. Kids schools are convienient too, as there is not much traffic to fight with at times of taking to school and fetching. Also I have not investigated the possibility of taking a Thai lass and her child there, as she still has family ties here. No hidden agenda, but if the brownies hit the fanies here, I would be out of here like a shot. I am lucky, I am on a permission to stay stamp for retirement.

Steelepulse, I enjoy your recent "alternatives to Phuket" threads. Power of a big public web forum, there are always a lot of people coming forward who are quite knowledgeable about the place.

You might also check out Costa Rica. What I last heard, easy to get permanent residency, including the right to own land, work or even start a business.

Cannot relocate myself, but it surely makes for interesting reading. Keep them coming!

I had considered Costa Rica as well as Panama, but from what I've been reading about online from various expats living there, it sounds awfully similar to here in regards to corruption, littering and trash, disdain by the locals, lots of red tape to get things done etc.

On the other hand, I'm hearing a lot of good things about Colombia from friends that have been there as well as from various expat forums. Supposedly it's a lot safer now than in the height of the cartels.