Is it possible to get Thai prices for care?

Hal65

X-rays at my latest dental appointment at Smile Signature revealed a crown that had become infected. Apparently I need to make five visits for replacement of the crown and treatment of the infection. Total bill will be roughly 30,000 baht. That's US$1,000.

I checked around prices for filling a cavity, because that's another thing I need to get done. Apparently the Thais can have it done for 300 baht per surface. Places that cater to ex-pats do it for around 800 per surface.

That's almost a 200% markup. Which makes me wonder if I should consider going to another dentist that doesn't focus on ex-pats.

Has anyone successfully used a Thai dentist with an interpreter? For major dental work like my crown, I think the cost would be worth it--I've hired an interpreter before at $5 an hour.

Of course the risk is that these dentists may be lower quality, but I'm guessing it's more of a marketing thing than anything else.

Edited by Delta223

I have a Thai dentist ... no need for an interpreter.

In Bangkok ... 10 - 15 walk (easy) from the MRT Station.

PM me if interested.

OH ... High quality.

The reason I promote him is that he charges 'Local' prices.

• Like 1

Hi. I recommend Somphob Amput Dental Center. One of the best dental facilities in Bangkok. Many top dentists practice there including those from Chula faculty of dentistry (obviously the clinic is just opposite Chulalongkorn hospital). Many dentists trained in the US, and a few are even american board certified. Very famous among Bangkokians. Prices should be reasonable as the clinic targets Thai customers. I'm Thai, and I've been there a few times. Happy with the quality of my dentist back then. http://www.somphob-amput-clinic.com/specialty/pediatric.html

• Like 1

^ how much be local price for a crown or whats it called....implant ?...or are they same same

Crowns and implants are completely different.

With a crown, they grind down your tooth, make a mold or is it mould (I've been to long in Thailand ... facepalm.gif ... I think it's mould)

and then they then fit and glue on the crown ... think of it as like a thick condom.

Takes from 4 - 7 days ... depends on the dental technician's turn-a-round times.

There seems to be two types of crowns ... the cheaper 'metal' style ones ... not a metal colour. I have one as a molar.

Then the more expensive porcelain style ... the front ones.

An Implant requires the removal of the originial tooth, healing in some cases, the attachment of the 'post' ... it's just a stainless steel screw (or the like) and then, about 3 months later they wack a tooth on the top of that screw. ... I have three.

Edited by David48
  • Like 1

I just had a crown replaced by my highly trusted dentist in CM, I was given the option of different types of material, the cost options were, 5k (I didn't note the material used), 10k for Palladium and ceramic or 15k for an all porcelain jobbie - was even given the lab certificate showing what percentages of which materials were used in the construction of the crown.

But the OP talks about 30k, was that for a post as well as a crown?. If so, that's more understandable but still high.

I just had a crown replaced by my highly trusted dentist in CM, I was given the option of different types of material, the cost options were, 5k (I didn't note the material used), 10k for Palladium and ceramic or 15k for an all porcelain jobbie - was even given the lab certificate showing what percentages of which materials were used in the construction of the crown.

But the OP talks about 30k, was that for a post as well as a crown?. If so, that's more understandable but still high.

Here is what the little slip they gave me for the estimate said:

Remove post & crown: 2,000

Retreat RET: 10,000-13,000

Post, Core: 5,500

Crown : 8,000 - 18,000

I don't know if Bangkok is more expensive for dental work, but I do live there as well.

*RET may actually be RCT or RUT (hard to tell)

Edited by Delta223

Those prices don't seem out of line, based on what I've seen previously in Phuket and Chiang Mai. Yes, Bangkok is likely to have higher prices than Chiang Mai. It looks like the Retreat costs are in effect another root canal, that's a good chunk of the cost right there.

Those prices don't seem out of line, based on what I've seen previously in Phuket and Chiang Mai. Yes, Bangkok is likely to have higher prices than Chiang Mai. It looks like the Retreat costs are in effect another root canal, that's a good chunk of the cost right there.

I don't think the Thais are paying those same prices though. I've heard that a college graduate makes about 10,000 baht a month, which makes the above treatment equal to 3 months worth of a college graduate's salary.

I don't think the Thais are paying those same prices though. I've heard that a college graduate makes about 10,000 baht a month, which makes the above treatment equal to 3 months worth of a college graduate's salary.

College grads tend not to need root canals, typically it's for old people. And your 10k a month figure seems low to me, my wife works for a hotel here and earns closer to 25k.

And my wife's bills at the dentist we both use are very similar, she's too young to be needing root canals but she has had extractions and fillings and the prices are listed and are the same for everyone. I think the dual pricing amongst dentists is limited to certain areas and to certain calibre of dentists, the better ones I've seen here in CM are very transparent in their pricing which is usually published on their web sites.

^ how much be local price for a crown or whats it called....implant ?...or are they same same

Crowns and implants are completely different.

With a crown, they grind down your tooth, make a mold or is it mould (I've been to long in Thailand ... facepalm.gif ... I think it's mould)

and then they then fit and glue on the crown ... think of it as like a thick condom.

Takes from 4 - 7 days ... depends on the dental technician's turn-a-round times.

There seems to be two types of crowns ... the cheaper 'metal' style ones ... not a metal colour. I have one as a molar.

Then the more expensive porcelain style ... the front ones.

An Implant requires the removal of the originial tooth, healing in some cases, the attachment of the 'post' ... it's just a stainless steel screw (or the like) and then, about 3 months later they wack a tooth on the top of that screw. ... I have three.

I think the screw is titanium or ceramic not stainless.....but I think...I am not sure if I am right

dont know if its cheap or not but i had a back tooth (molar ) that was giving me mild grief for a year

and i waited as long as possible because i dont love dentistry but it only got worse

a dentist in lat phrao diagosed it as a stage 3 cavity and filled it up with grey metal stuff for 700b

(if i waited much longer they would have had to pull it out ie stage 4 cavity )

dont know if its cheap or not but i had a back tooth (molar ) that was giving me mild grief for a year

and i waited as long as possible because i dont love dentistry but it only got worse

a dentist in lat phrao diagosed it as a stage 3 cavity and filled it up with grey metal stuff for 700b

That might be that old fashioned mercury filled metal stuff....

• Like 1

Dear God I hate dentists.

Many years ago I had huge tooth aches in the back of the mouth, swollen cheeks everything....went for days hoping it would go away rather than go to a dentist....eventually went to a doctor instead in hope it was a fractured jaw or something.....but he then made an appointment for me with a dentist....I did not go, 3 weeks went by and eventually the wisdom teeth popped up and all was good.

Right now I have 2 broken teeth, one busted into a vampire shape, the other busted at the stump.......lucky I have fat cheeks as cannot see them when I smile....so can wait another year or so.

Dear God I hate dentists.

Many years ago I had huge tooth aches in the back of the mouth, swollen cheeks everything....went for days hoping it would go away rather than go to a dentist....eventually went to a doctor instead in hope it was a fractured jaw or something.....but he then made an appointment for me with a dentist....I did not go, 3 weeks went by and eventually the wisdom teeth popped up and all was good.

Right now I have 2 broken teeth, one busted into a vampire shape, the other busted at the stump.......lucky I have fat cheeks as cannot see them when I smile....so can wait another year or so.

My God man, I think you better do what I'm doing and look for a lower-priced dentist before you start foaming at the mouth!

Edited by Delta223

RCT is Root Canal Treatment so that would be what they are talking about - price varies for crown due to material (most are gold based and there are two or three grades used - it provides a good fit/seal) with porcelain over it. The price list looks normal but can not comment on the re treatment of RCT as have never needed that but suspect there is infection present that must be cleared so would not delay too long and would advise using an experienced facility. Cheaper price normally comes with less experience/pain/questionable facilities and instruments. These prices are paid by Thai as well as foreigners for quality treatment - and many collage grads start at a salary higher than 10k per month - indeed a lot higher.

Normally cancer is diagnosed as 'stage 3' - believe your cavity was 3 surface and was filled with normal plastic filling.

Plenty of better-off Thais pay the higher prices of private dental clinics for the same reason that I do -- to avoid the long waits and red tape of a government facility. Those who can't afford it, put up with the latter.

In Bangkok, you can get excellent quality care at very low cost at the Mahidol Dental Hospital near Victory Monument. But be prepared for the aforementioned waits and red tape, and it may go better if you can bring a Thai speaker with you the first time to walk you through the process as signs etc apt to all be in Thai and first visit will involve initial registration process.

In Chiang Mai, there is a dental clinic at the CMU Hospital,likewise good quality, very low rates, but waits etc.

A long discussion of various private dental options ion CM here http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/592351-recommend-a-dental-clinic/

Normally cancer is diagnosed as 'stage 3' - believe your cavity was 3 surface and was filled with normal plastic filling.

he had a cartoon style chart which showed a 4 teeth in degrading order :

1st one 25% damaged

2nd one 50% damaged

3rd one 75% damaged

4th one 100% damage -need to pull it out ...etc

mine was in the 3rd category so he was able to fill it with whatever that stuff is ,

looks and feels more like metal than plastic though but il take your word for it

because i dont know much about this subject

That might be that old fashioned mercury filled metal stuff....

oho dear ,am i going to die from mercury poisoning soon ? :)