Unidentified men hold up villagers protesting gold mining operations: Loei

webfact

Unidentified men hold up villagers protesting gold mining operations

gold-mine-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A complaint was lodged with Wang Sapung district police in Loei province Friday morning by a group of protesting villagers who claimed they were beaten up and illegally detained by a large group of unidentified men some of whom were armed.

The incident was the latest involving villagers of Wang Sapung district who have been protesting against open pit gold mining in the province by Thung Kha company which they claimed has destroyed the environment, poisoned their natural water sources and ruined their health.

The complainants told the police that at about 10 pm Thursday night some 100 men laid siege to a road checkpoint manned by some 20 villagers to block the company’s trucks from leaving and entering the mining site.

Several gunshots were heard during the raid and scuffle between the protesting villagers and the raiders who managed to open the checkpoint to allow some trucks to leave the mining site.

The detained villagers were freed at about 4.30 am today after which all the raiders left the scene.

During the raid, some villagers called the Wang Sapung police for help and only two policemen arrived at the scene but did nothing, said the complainants.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/unidentified-men-hold-villagers-protesting-gold-mining-operations/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-05-16

Masked Thugs Attack Villagers Protesting Gold Mine
By Khaosod English

14002267681400227414l.jpg
Hundreds of masked men have reportedly attacked villagers in Loei province who are protesting the chemical contamination from a local gold mine. (Photos provided by witnesses).

LOEI — Hundreds of masked men have attacked villagers in Loei province who are protesting the chemical contamination from a local gold mine.

Witnesses said over 300 assailants stormed barricades set up by villagers in Na Nong Bong village in Wang Sapung district last night. The barricades were intended to block operations at the nearby gold mine owned by Tungkum Company.

The incident is the latest development in the long-running dispute between the villagers of Na Nong Bong and Tungkam Company, which is a subsidary of the mining giant Tongkah Harbour Public Company Ltd.

For almost ten years, Na Na Bong villagers have tried to shut the mine down because of the widespread contamination of lethal substances they say its operation has caused.

In 2013, Na Nong Bong villagers erected the "Wall of Heart" barricade to stop trucks from entering the gold mine.

Last night’s masked attackers, many of whom were armed according to the witnesses, quickly overwhelmed the 200 villagers who were guarding the barricade. At least 30 villagers were held hostage at gunpoint while the masked assailants proceeded to dismantle the barricades.

Angsana Puangpaiwan, a 22-year-old resident, said the attackers arrived on two pick-up trucks and four minivans. ”Dozens of shots" were fired into the air to frighten the villagers, Ms. Angsana said.

When other villagers learned about the confrontation at the barricade, they rushed to the scene and attempted to help those who were being held hostage by the armed assailants, Ms. Angsana said.

However, the perpetrators reportedly responded by charging at the crowd of villagers, beating the group back.

During the clash, a convoy of twelve 18-wheeler truckers drove past the remnants of the barricades into the gold mine, presumably to collect the mined ores left behind by the company’s employees. Rows of armed, masked men guarded the convoy while the minerals were being collected.

After the convoy left, the militants reportedly released their hostages and forced villagers to delete any images of the clash from their cellphones. Some villagers were also forced to surrender their cellphones to the armed men.

Over 40 villagers were reportedly injured in the assault, and they were only transported to hospital after the perpetrators left the scene, witnesses say.

The villagers pressed charges at Wang Sapung Police Station this afternoon, accusing the perpetrators of attempted murder, assault, and theft.

Na Nong Bong residents began their protests against the mine in 2006 after some of them began suffering illnesses they suspected were caused by the nearby operation of the Tungkam gold mine.

From 2007-2011, studies by local authorities and environmental agencies reported a widespread contamination of deadly substances such as lead, arsenic, mercury, cadmium, and cyanide in the area adjacent to the gold mine.

Despite the published studies and a lawsuit filed by the villagers to the Administrative Court, the Tungkam gold mine was permitted to continue its operation.

Frustrated by the lack of concrete response from the authorities and the company, Na Nong Bong villagers erected the "Wall of Heart" barricade in late 2013. Tungkam Company hit back with a lawsuit to the Loei Provincial Court, accusing the village's leaders of obstructing the company's enterprise. The lawsuit also demands 50 million baht in damages from the villagers.

Source: http://en.khaosod.co.th/detail.php?newsid=1400226768

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-05-16

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I know someone who worked on this mine. He has had ongoing respiratory problems since. One more example of how the powers that be in this country ride rough shod over the rights of the poor.

The various departments who control this operation , mine, Minerals and environment departments should close the mine down until some sensible resolution has been struck, this this the systematic failure I speak of, departments unable to carry out their charter properly, the management ,directors should be arrested/charged if it can be found negligence has occurred. There are rules in place for this kind of problem they should be in-forced.

The mining company itself should be directly blamed for this... They surely have paid for this militia to attack the citizens.

Arrests must be made. I am probably taking a shot in the dark here, but I would not be surprised to find that certain government ministers has a large stake in this gold mine, and who would you expect them to call to attack the villagers?... well we all know they already have a large armed militant group that they keep reserved for 'government work'.

A lot of them do seem to be wearing red... Probably yet another reason for the police to have absolutely zero interest in classing this as a crime.

Thaksin's Thailand..... great.. isn't it?

• Like 1

It is a subsidiary ofTongkah Harbour - Their web page claims

"Tongkah, as a responsible corporate citizen, seeks opportunities to strengthen the communities in which it has the privilege to operate, through sustainable practices and initiatives.

In practice, CSR involves assessing all the potential ways that the Company's actions and operations may impact others. It means looking beyond our office walls and outside our operational fence lines to consider how our decisions affect a broad range of individuals, groups and organizations. Referred to as stakeholders, these affected interests include local communities, non-governmental organizations, investors, employees, customers, suppliers, host governments and regulatory agencies.

Tongkah's approach to social responsibility is rooted in our values, a touchstone philosophy for the entire Company. These core values, which encompass longstanding commitments to health and safety, environmental stewardship, honesty and integrity, corporate citizenship and high performance, form the foundation for the comprehensive approach that shapes the way we choose to do business. http://www.tongkahharbour.com/tongkah/csr_corporate.html"

Ummm ......

Edit to add - their board of Directors is listed on the site

Edited by issanaus

I know someone who worked on this mine. He has had ongoing respiratory problems since. One more example of how the powers that be in this country ride rough shod over the rights of the poor.

wake up chrisrazz.... the powers that be are doing it everywhere and always have done

'nuff said

~

They may want to interview the mining executives...feel sure...they had prior knowledge...as most likely the Thai police for that matter...that this incident was going to take place...and paid for the gunmen to re-open the road...

It costs less to pay the gunmen...and keep the trucks moving...

This is Thailand...he who has the biggest and most guns...wins every-time...

• Like 1

In nearly every country. Actions such as these area a global phenomenon and in no way unique to Thailand.

Poison your children.contaminate your land.Ride roughshod over your rights.hold you to the gun and.....Sue you.

And still those villagers back off?

This is reason enough to start civil war ?

No, better idea , all the workers stop working for such companies .......555,sorry for the bad joke

a red shirt training group, they have to learn to beat up and shoot people somewhere. When all the company has to do is pay the local police and officials to let them do as they please this is the result, no concern for the deaths/illnesses of the local they cause as long as they make a buck from it, after all, they dont live there. Just goes to show exactly how corrupt this country is

• Like 1

In nearly every country. Actions such as these area a global phenomenon and in no way unique to Thailand.

Really?

They don't happen in the US or Canada.