Where Is Everybody’s Favourite Place To Eat Indian Food In Thailand?

IsaanRick

I have done quite a lot of travelling in the uk.and always ended up in an indian,whitechapel London a place that cooked meat on large skewers in a tandoor,

Birmingham,manchester,Yorkshire,they were all great curry houses but without doubt sweaty betty's [ponty] was the best,it was next to the first Chinese to open in ponty.

jim hong, he let us go next door get a curry sauce to go with our Chinese great days for over 40yrs.ago.

after having to do without a decent curry for 5yrs.it has finely arrived.got an order sent down to korat from little india surin

proper curry with proper nan,the Ceylon was good,so was the chilli masala,but the vindaloo was mind blowing or should I say bum blowing 2 more to try jalfreize and madras.well done rick.

• Like 1

I have done quite a lot of travelling in the uk.and always ended up in an indian,whitechapel London a place that cooked meat on large skewers in a tandoor,

Birmingham,manchester,Yorkshire,they were all great curry houses but without doubt sweaty betty's [ponty] was the best,it was next to the first Chinese to open in ponty.

jim hong, he let us go next door get a curry sauce to go with our Chinese great days for over 40yrs.ago.

Probably Taayabs in London...their mixed grill is outstanding.

• Like 1

Probably Taayabs in London...their mixed grill is outstanding.

it was past commercial st.down whitechapel rd.then somewhere on the right, up some narrow streets,it was an indian who worked with me took us there,always full great food but you would never find it first time.i remember big long skewers full of meat ect.no knife and fork just use your hands.

• Like 2

after having to do without a decent curry for 5yrs.it has finely arrived.got an order sent down to korat from little india surin

proper curry with proper nan,the Ceylon was good,so was the chilli masala,but the vindaloo was mind blowing or should I say bum blowing 2 more to try jalfreize and madras.well done rick.

Just in case you thought you were dreaming, I fully support your appraisal of the Vindaloo - it is the tastiest I have had here or in the UK.

• Like 1

In Bangkok:

Himali Cha Cha on convent road.

Surprisingly good fare for the price, and consistently so over the years.

They have (or had) other branches, but don't recall stopping in any.

Usually quiet, decent service, good sized portions.

As with almost any Indian restaurant not focused on Tandoor dishes, there is some room for improvement in

that department, but no real complaints.

Was never much impressed with Royal India. Found the service lacking and the food rather bland.

Their only saving grace was the sweets - nice selection and original tastes.

Rang Mahal - very nice, but somewhat pricy for Indian food. The buffet is more economical, and does

include a lot of variety, but sort of kills the atmosphere you pay for, so overall didn't enjoy that one.

Popped into a few others, didn't get hooked on any. Generally I find that upper scale Indian restaurants are a bit

of a sham. Pretty much the same food as mid-range, better surroundings - not always worth it.

Had a couple of very nice Indian meals in Chiang Mai years ago, can't remember the name of the place though.

• Like 1

Just in case you thought you were dreaming, I fully support your appraisal of the Vindaloo - it is the tastiest I have had here or in the UK.

I had the madras yesterday and that equals the vindaloo,not as hot but very very indian.

• Like 1

anyone who goes to the indian market next to china-town bkk.keep a look out for EVERESTSPICES.COM produced in india.

I had some dry tandoori mix brought over for me 21spices in a pckt.for 15bht.x55grm.i did tandoori chicken and it was the best I have ever had useing packet spices.have a look on their web site its mighty impressive.

• Like 1

anyone who goes to the indian market next to china-town bkk.keep a look out for EVERESTSPICES.COM produced in india.

I had some dry tandoori mix brought over for me 21spices in a pckt.for 15bht.x55grm.i did tandoori chicken and it was the best I have ever had useing packet spices.have a look on their web site its mighty impressive.

I use the EVEREST Turmeric Grade Agmark Standard Grade, its a quality product, where did you get your tandoori powder from? what brand is it? I get mine from Bangkok which comes in small packets MDH brand, I usually then add some freshly ground spices myself. Have you ever seen the EVEREST tandoori powder or RAJAH tandoori powder in Bangkok or anywhere in Thailand? It would save me having to get them sent from the UK.

I use the EVEREST Turmeric Grade Agmark Standard Grade, its a quality product, where did you get your tandoori powder from? what brand is it? I get mine from Bangkok which comes in small packets MDH brand, I usually then add some freshly ground spices myself. Have you ever seen the EVEREST tandoori powder or RAJAH tandoori powder in Bangkok or anywhere in Thailand? It would save me having to get them sent from the UK.

We get these (and others) on Phahurat, although no idea if there's a formal distributor as such. Plenty of shops around, so

if one doesn't have it, another will. Got to check dates and, if possible, open exterior container - not always kept in best of

conditions. Not an issue with larger shops. Another way to go about it would be to ask an Indian restaurant where they get

it - tried that for a couple of things and usually got a result.

Not sure if it's comes out cheaper, but think you could buy through their website (Everest, that is).

• Like 1

We get these (and others) on Phahurat, although no idea if there's a formal distributor as such. Plenty of shops around, so

if one doesn't have it, another will. Got to check dates and, if possible, open exterior container - not always kept in best of

conditions. Not an issue with larger shops. Another way to go about it would be to ask an Indian restaurant where they get

it - tried that for a couple of things and usually got a result.

Not sure if it's comes out cheaper, but think you could buy through their website (Everest, that is).

I know what your saying about the sell by or before dates & the condition some items in & around Phahurat are kept that has been my experience as well but one great thing that I must mention is how trustworthy & decent some of the shopkeepers are, the items that I have ordered & pre paid for have always arrived safe & sound within a couple of days at a very reasonable delivery charge.

the ones I got direct from india have 15months date life left,but we had the problem with all indian stores in the uk.

they used to get done regular selling out of date pies.but there is a difference between use by and sell by dates,as long as they are kept in a dark place and are in sealed packets they should be ok for a while.i also had some very good Kashmiri

paprika brought for me manufactured by amalgam speciality foods.[under keya brand]

Edited by meatboy
  • Like 1

I live in Siem Reap and, having grown up with Indian food in Kenya, I have rated every Indian restaurant here repeatedly.

I think Dakshin's and The Indian are both very good but Dakshin's takes number one spot as the decor is nice.

Maharaja comes in 3rd, don't bother with the others and absolutely avoid Curry Walla and India Gate.

Best Indian food in Thailand was at Indian by Nature in Pattaya.

• Like 1

Tumeric , known in Thailand by its genre name of "cumin" ( that is pronounced cumin and not coomin) is available in abundance here in Thailand. Every time a monk is ordained they use loads of it.

You can get them whole and grate them yourself. No worries about quality or any other added powders then.

• Like 1

Tumeric , known in Thailand by its genre name of "cumin" ( that is pronounced cumin and not coomin) is available in abundance here in Thailand. Every time a monk is ordained they use loads of it.

You can get them whole and grate them yourself. No worries about quality or any other added powders then.

Aren't Tumeric and Cumin two entirely different things?

• Like 1

Please stop talking here , I getting very HUNGRY here so more I read..

But now the best question, why indean food makes more diarrhea , then thaifood?

I belive not the spice itself, it's the not presented clean less in the kitchen

I have a friend , he is very straight!

Before he eat in a restaurant he walk direct in the kitchen without knocking the door, and inspect everything

If it's not his understanding of hygienic he leave the restaurant !

Aren't Tumeric and Cumin two entirely different things?

Yes.

Tumeric is "camin" in Thai. Cumin in "yira".

Can lead to some confusion.

• Like 2

There are 2 restaurants in Bangkok, that I've found to be consistent in quality and taste on repeated visits.

Price-wise, pretty reasonable too.

- Hot Curry, Sukhumvit Soi 20

- Bawarchi, Sukhumvit Soi 11

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Try Southern Indian food for a change. Mostly (entirely? can't remember) vegetarian, but vegetarian makes a nice change too unless you are one of the many British meataholics. I'm no veggie type myself, but can happily take a break.

Anyway I digress:

Dosa King - Sukhumvit soi 11 in Bangkok (only 50 metres from Tha Sukhumvit)

Dhabar - Second Raod in Pattaya (opposite Central Shopping mall)

Both authentic and very tasty food. Both will have more Indian diners than westerners, which is usually the acid test on authenticity. Dhabar has no real atmosphere (shop front style). Dosa King is ok/standard on atmosphere. I eat Indian for the food not atmosphere, as every Thai I met does not like Thai and will not accompany me if they are acquainted with the food style. Dosa King is a bit cheaper than Dhabar.

Your standard entry level dish to try out southern Indian is a masala dosa - a curried spicy potato filling inside a very large crispy folded over pancake; may not sound up to much but totally delicious.

Cheapest Dosa in Thailand is at a stall in the food court on the third floor of the Indra Square wholesale clothing/fashion market in Pratunam. 100 baht - nowhere near as good as the above two, but a tasty alternative snack-on-the-go nonetheless.

60 years a curry eater!

Loads of great Indian restaurants in the UK of course. I like "East" in Pudsey, West Yorkshire. Similar to but better than the famous "Akbars" in Bradford. Chutney Mary on the Kings Road in Chelsea (I'm a gooner so have to wash my mouth out after using that wordbiggrin.png ) was my favourite in London, but loads of good cheaper places in Tooting and Southall. Brick Lane is good but not good value now.

• 3 weeks later...

I still reckon Indus on Suk Soi 26 does the best deal in town with their weekend brunch. I usually leave there feeling I'm about to give birth. Although the price has crept up a bit now into the 600s and they've changed the menu slightly it's still my once a month gut bash treat. Nice laid back atmosphere as well and attentive staff.

http://www.indusbangkok.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/6-Indus-Weekend-Brunch-Menu.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

having enjoyed the first order from little india this is the second week of the second one,today onion bhaji with a mint riata,

chicken curry madras and garlic and coriander nan,well rick from mrs meat and me your making an old man happysmile.png

now for a few cans of thatchers premium gold cider.

• Like 1

Agreed Royal India. Good menu and thali, correct flavours for North Indian food, real authentic looking kitchen. Good tea. Priced at what it's worth. I've been to so many but none could match this because of it's reputation, actually some of the other places in the surrounding alleyways are quite good for South Indian meals. Also in the same alleyways is the only proper Burmese curry and rice foodcart I've ever seen here. Really the only area to get proper Indian anything in Thailand, however Phitsanolouk has an interesting, if limited, Pakistani heritage. Anyone know of anything up there?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

Hiya all if  anyone is near Udon Thani then a Place called JB Guest House and Sports Bar just outside Udon Thani City Centre is theeee place to go for a Good British Indian Curry (BIR).At the moment they have Chicken Curry,Chicken Madras and Chicken Vindaloo for 195 THB including rice.They also have British Plain Pompadoms and the Currys really are the Genuine article.I know that their Menu is going to be added to soon with Chicken Bhuna,Chicken Pathia and British Style Onion Bhajis.They can also make any Curry Super Spicy if that is Your thing.As I said this place is also a Guest House with a nice Swimming Pool which is handy as their Curry is worth Travelling for.