The Scratch Scam is here

Just met a tourist associate off the ferry from Koh Phangan.

He tells me that he hired a 'not so new' motorcy for two days at Bht 180 per day. When he took it back the hirer found an almost impossible to see scratch, which he says he could not possibly have done. The hirer demanded Bht 2000 but said he would accept Bht 1800. that is Bht 2160 for two days bike hire.

What a dirty stinking Thai business man. Looks like the scammers have arrived here.

I told the guy that i would have paid, got my PP back and then knocked shit out of his lousy bike.

yep! .....sad.png

This why there are posts suggesting where to rent a bike on KP or Samui.... fortunately they don't all rip people off like that!

same with Jet Ski's , there are certain places you can rent and be fine

He had just spent 2 days on KP, so this is where he was scammed. I have been there myself several times and was never scammed.

I suppose it is easy to detect a newcomer, i have been here for 9 years now, so not so easy to catch.

That is his side of the story if you also asked the rental guy you might make up the real story. I've seen people returning a bike looking like the mummy returns and then still saying that they didn' t had an accident. I' m not saying that there are no scammers on the island but I don' t believe the stories of tourists right away.

Boater, you might well be correct, but in my 9 years this is the first time i have heard of it on KP. coffee1.gif

Sadly he is correct....

I heard about it a number of times when I stayed or lived on KP..... but we cannot name and shame.... One place I know used to regularly charge up to 10,000 baht for a few scratches (fortunately that place changed hands in last year or two ..... it was a resort...) ....

Happened to me for the 1st time as well, and I've been renting bikes for a long time on and off for over 10 years I'd actually prefer to walk but the occasional use of a bike is necessary as I'm tired off the lack of pricing continuity in songthaew usage on Samui. Ultimately though the rental guys lost long term custom as I wont recommend him and I wont go back (Karma in action)

Just met a tourist associate off the ferry from Koh Phangan. ...

What a dirty stinking Thai business man. Looks like the scammers have arrived here.

I told the guy that i would have paid, got my PP back and then knocked shit out of his lousy bike.

What is a tourist associate?

"dirty stinking ... knocked shit" How old are you?

1096443.jpg

2000 for a scratch is over the top. New plastic for the whole bike in factory paint is 2000. So obviously a scam. But if you call the police the price will go up and you still have to pay. TIT

2000 for a scratch is over the top. New plastic for the whole bike in factory paint is 2000. So obviously a scam. But if you call the police the price will go up and you still have to pay. TIT

2000? Are you sure? Please tell me where I can buy a whole new body for the bike for 2000 and I will take all my bikes to this place to be fixed.

The thing is as in most cases no one wants the hassle of anybody putting a cloud over there day, so if the hirer says there is a scratch on the bike as in my case, I really don't have much support in terms of the guy calling for help when I question/challenge the case. As I've seen as soon as it escalates with more people getting involved the more it will cost you. in terms of time and possible money i.e BIB or local chancers throwing there weight around and getting involved.

I've never had an issue in 10+ years with hiring from locals on this particular occasion it was a fellow countryman who was just trying it on, but like I said previously it will ultimately cost this individual more financially in terms of lost recommendations and consequential business.

Anyone who leave his PP with these people is a right mug, just ripe for the taking. wink.png

Tell that to the guy who never took passports and lost 5 bikes last year..... bah.gif .... so why is he a "mug"? it goes both ways.... not all tourists are honest sad.png

He now insists on passports or DL, and I don't blame him, what else can these more honest guys do? Go to Malaysia (or just about anywhere else) and you have to give credit card deposit ....

I witnessed a tourist trying to pull a "fast one" last week at this shop... trying to renegotiate the rental price... he was drunk too....facepalm.gifhe finally coughed up the full amount before getting his DL back.... coffee1.gif

In the case of this shop, if there were dents cracks etc, he'd only charge the actual cost of repair, not an inflated cost.... (actually if just scratches, he over looked it)

There are honest shops around.

• Like 1