Thai Gunman Kills Two Noisy World Cup Fans

Jai Dee

Thai gunman kills two noisy World Cup fans

BANGKOK, Thailand (AP) - Thai police are searching for a gunman who shot and killed two soccer fans at a beach resort after complaining they were cheering too loud during a broadcast of Italy's World Cup opener against Ghana, officials said Wednesday.

The two men, both Thais, were watching Italy's 2-0 win over Ghana at a restaurant Monday at the Thai beach resort town of Pattaya, and erupted in roars when Italy scored its first goal, said Panipha Wattakul, a girlfriend of one of the victims.

A man seated at a nearby table asked them to quiet down, prompting a heated argument during which the man pulled out a handgun and shot the soccer fans at point blank range, said Police Col. Somnuek Chanket, the Pattaya police chief. The victims were identified as Chamlong Rongsaeng, 30, and Somnuek Sonkun, 41.

Police know the identity of the gunman, who fled after the shooting, Somnuek said.

Thailand has never competed in the World Cup. But despite the Southeast Asian nation's poor showing on the international soccer stage, millions of fans are glued to their televisions during the World Cup and millions of baht (dollars) are spent on illegal betting, polls show.

Pattaya, about 110 kilometers (70 miles) southeast of Bangkok, is known for its beaches, its thriving sex industry and high crime rate

Source: Malaysian Star - 14 June 2006

Story originated from here.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, is Thailand becoming the short-temper-shoot-first-think-later hub too. :D

I shoot too quick some times too :o

But only because I want to move on to another "target" quickly, but have to "finish off" the current mark first.

I only have one gun though, so I will usually take my time, take good aim and maintain control throughout. Then I don't have to worry about "reloading" as quickly. :D

That is not the correct story. The shooting took place well after the game was over. It appears this story has been "adapted" so it can be sold around the world. This sort of stuff happens a lot in Pattaya and around the world and p*sses me off. Oh well, why didn't I think of that!!!!!

Edited by hm1973

But only because I want to move on to another "target" quickly, but have to "finish off" the current mark first.

I only have one gun though, so I will usually take my time, take good aim and maintain control throughout. Then I don't have to worry about "reloading" as quickly. :D

Has it ever 'accidently' went off in your hand? :D

Pattaya.. The question... Am I surprised?

===============================================================

Is it really necessary to always be derogatory whenever anything happens in Pattaya ? ?

Why don't you start an "Anti-Pattaya" Hate-Campaign; then I'll come and shoot you, whereever you are - how's that ?

:o

Happy Pattayan

:D

Tut Tut Tut

Such an incident would never have happened before the introduction of the Thai Rak Thai Social Order Policy (SOP)

Last world cup was only a year after SOP came in, and people could remember how to party loudly and long

It seems the SOP is breeding intolerance for fun & noise into the Thai psyche

When this comes to court - the case should be titled "Rex v Shooter + Thaksin + Purachai"

My husband is a vocal football supporter. Do I have to tell him to contain his joy at a goal just in case he is shot? This is really crap. I feel for the families of the deceased. Did we really have to have the blood and gore pic here??

this from the PCN

An update now on Tuesday Morning’s shooting and murder of two men at the Food Works Restaurant on Pattaya Third Road. Although the suspected shooter is still at large, his vehicle has been recovered. It was found by officers in Laem Chabaeng at the Talae Tong Tower. The vehicle, a black Mercedes Benz was taken to Pattaya Police Station where it was broken into and inspected by Police Colonel Somook and other officers. Inside the car was a gun magazine with three bullets inside and other items including a court summons issued to the suspect regarding a previous case where he was charged with carrying a gun in a public place. Also in the car was registration papers for two guns, both of which correspond to the guns used in the attack. Further information has also come from the crime scene itself. The girlfriend of one of the dead men, Khun Pantipar aged 27 revealed that prior to the shooting she walked past the table where the shooter was sitting and drinking with the owner of the bar when the suspect made a number of suggestive comments towards her. It is believed that this may have led the shooter to initiate contact with the two victims which eventually led to their deaths.

doesn't match ...

Pattaya.. The question... Am I surprised?

===============================================================

Is it really necessary to always be derogatory whenever anything happens in Pattaya ? ?

Why don't you start an "Anti-Pattaya" Hate-Campaign; then I'll come and shoot you, whereever you are - how's that ?

Happy Pattayan

I think you have made a valid point here. I really dont like the "It can only happen in Pattaya" stance that some posters take.

especially "Thai on Thai" that happens everywhere in LOS.

Its just "sensationalised" because it has a very weak link to the World Cup

Pattaya, about 110 kilometers (70 miles) southeast of Bangkok, is known for its beaches, its thriving sex industry and high crime rate

================================================================

Excuse me "Jai Dee", but are you absolutely certain about your statement "and high crime rate" with regards to Pattaya-City.

Are you just saying this to add a bit of sensation, or have you actually looked over the crime-rate statistics of this country and it's various cities & areas ?

Look forward to your response, "Jai Dee"

Regards,

JGK

Pattaya

Happy Pattayan

I think you have made a valid point here. I really dont like the "It can only happen in Pattaya" stance that some posters take.

especially "Thai on Thai" that happens everywhere in LOS.

Its just "sensationalised" because it has a very weak link to the World Cup

It's not just Pattaya, we have enough Thai on Thai shooting down here in Phuket, yet nobody seems to pan Phuket as much as they do Pattaya.

AFAIK it also happens all over Thailand

Has it ever 'accidently' went off in your hand? :D

:D:D Only the once, whilst cleaning it!!

================================================================

Excuse me "Jai Dee", but are you absolutely certain about your statement "and high crime rate" with regards to Pattaya-City.

Are you just saying this to add a bit of sensation, or have you actually looked over the crime-rate statistics of this country and it's various cities & areas ?

Look forward to your response, "Jai Dee"

Regards,

JGK

Pattaya

I think Jaidee just copied and pasted that article from another website, its not his wording.

this from the PCN

An update now on Tuesday Morning’s shooting and murder of two men at the Food Works Restaurant on Pattaya Third Road. Although the suspected shooter is still at large, his vehicle has been recovered. It was found by officers in Laem Chabaeng at the Talae Tong Tower. The vehicle, a black Mercedes Benz was taken to Pattaya Police Station where it was broken into and inspected by Police Colonel Somook and other officers. Inside the car was a gun magazine with three bullets inside and other items including a court summons issued to the suspect regarding a previous case where he was charged with carrying a gun in a public place. Also in the car was registration papers for two guns, both of which correspond to the guns used in the attack. Further information has also come from the crime scene itself. The girlfriend of one of the dead men, Khun Pantipar aged 27 revealed that prior to the shooting she walked past the table where the shooter was sitting and drinking with the owner of the bar when the suspect made a number of suggestive comments towards her. It is believed that this may have led the shooter to initiate contact with the two victims which eventually led to their deaths.

doesn't match ...

Has the shooter been identified as Thai or farang?

Is it really necessary to always be derogatory whenever anything happens in Pattaya ?

Sadly the majority of these types of story do seem to come from Pattaya!

I say fair enough. The guys were being noisy. He probabaly warned them and it seems that they wouldn't shut up. So whats a guy gonna do. He's trying to have a quiet drink and these two yobbos were disturbing him. :o:D

I think Jaidee just copied and pasted that article from another website, its not his wording.

Yep, direct quote from the CNN web site.

Just noticed that there are 413 individuals reading this topic at this time, didn't think it was that big of a news story. :o

Edited by tywais

What are the laws in Thailand regarding carrying handguns?

Do a lot of private citizens own them to protect their homes.

From one posting, sounds like they are legal as long as they are not carried in a public place??

Does Thailand need stricter handgun controls?

If Thailand prohibited the ownership of handguns perhaps this ugly incident would have ended up in a ugly fist fight, the two men would be alive and the incident would never have made the pages of the papers.

Can we please stop the Pattaya bashing now.

There is a "pattaya haters thread" for you.

Being Thailand's #2 city with over 1.5 million people shit happens from time to time.

Agreed let's keep Pattaya bashing off this thread - certainly doesnt have a place here. :o

Can we please stop the Pattaya bashing now.

There is a "pattaya haters thread" for you.

Being Thailand's #2 city with over 1.5 million people shit happens from time to time.

Outside of Bangkok

1 Nakhon Ratchasima 2.6 million

2 Chiang Mai 1.7 million

source bureau of statistics