Thailand Driving License: Tough new tests from 1st June 2014

I had a company driver who once went to a police station to complain that his teenage son had been killed by a hit and run motorist as he turned left at a junction. He was hit with such force that he was decapitated and his body and head were thrown about 30 yards. The police managed to find the car from witnesses who had noted the number. The owner insisted he had lent the car to someone from upcountry on that day and only knew his nickname. Didn't know his address or place of work and believed he had gone upcountry. (This was before Chalerm used the same story to get his son off a murder rap). For a backhander the police accepted this story and told my driver nothing could be done. With some help from me my driver entered a bidding war by bribing a more senior policeman a modest amount. The more senior cop then reversed the tables on the car owner and told him that without any more firm evidence to support his story, he would assume it was untrue. So the car owner had to pay up compensation (only about 80,000 of which the police took a cut) but was never charged with any offence. My driver was satisfied that he had obtained justice for his son. Probably neither the car driver nor the deceased motorcyclist had driving licences.

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Thai Highway Code :

Rule 1. Do not eat and use your cellphone at the same time whilst driving.

Rule 2 Press firmly on the accelerator when you see the lights change to red.

Rule 3 Always check the make up mirror is correctly positioned before setting off.

Rule 4 Obey rules 1 2 and 3.

Every time I see one of these threads with "superior" farangs going on about Thai drivers I always wonder what it would be like back in farang countries if the police suddenly announced they would no longer be stopping drivers for DUI, speeding, red lights, etc. ? I suspect they would drive even worse than Thais especially in places like Italy or Miami. Considering that there is no fear of police intervention here I think the Thai's are actually RELATIVELY restrained. And to be honest I think I actually prefer having to be extra careful here in return for not having to constantly be looking in my mirror for the police or cameras sending me a ticket in the mail for some minor infraction like in the states or Briton.

It's not going to make people better drivers or reduce their levels of road rage. The Roads in Thailand are full of unlicensed drivers and idiots. Get the police out onto the roads and actually book people breaking the laws.

Plus stop punishing the legal car drivers when an unlicensed bike rider was the person causing the accident

Agree. A bigger police presence on the roads who are serious and consistent about upholding the road laws would be a novel idea here. I don't see many police actually patrolling the roads and writing tickets for those who break the laws. Too big a job? You have to start somewhere. So harder(?) license tests is a good idea too but dont forget about those already on the roads licensed and not.

Edited by avander

So from June 1st the teamoney required to pass the driving test will rise.

I remember my test. 500 meter lap. Only 2 of us passed the car test. I asked my wife what about the people who failed. She said they take test again. So I asked what if they fail that? Her answer, they pay "extra" for license. rolleyes.gif

My wife told me after 3 times failing you'll get automaticly

Thailand has to stop Thai drivers 'Buying their license from the driving examiner examiner before the new system will have any effect. When my former wife tested the Examiners in Pattaya receiving 1,000 baht payment in full view of of the public at the side of the test track. I stooped her paying, so she filed. The following week she went home to he bannock and came hoe with her license.

Loads of money making opportunities here then. One smart arse takes the written test and sells copies outside the test center for 300 Baht is just one idea.

What's needed is law enforcement with heavy fines and driving bans for wrongdoer's. How many times have i seen people on phones or stuffing food in their face while driving ? How many jump red lights ? How many tailgate at high speed ? and on and on.

Nope, they already use machines nation wide for the test which generate 30 questions randomly from 300 possibilities. No books or notes allowed in testing area.

Heavy fines are not necessary when people are properly educated.

Edited by fullcave

With the new tought test will not improve at all the traffic violations, it is the traffic enforcement as a reminder to the drivers breaking the laws. If Thailand is looking for improving traffic safety, the police must do their JOB, be out there and stopping the violators while they make the mistakes and not just do the standard road stops that only benefits their pockets. This country is traffic mayhem and chaos, everyone does whatever they want even right in front of the police or traffic cops. Just imagine the amount of real revenue if the police and the authorities actually do and enforce the traffic laws, Thailand will be able to pay-off all of the lost funds from many bad investments. Wake-up Thailand and focus on the real problem!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

There is no training that could help the problems among the average drivers.

Only the Thais themselves can decide to drive more safely. Doing so though is admitting to themselves that they are doing something wrong in the first place.

Just not going to happen Dorothy. Training truck and bus drivers about how to drive on hills and curves could possibly help a little bit, but they will likely just ignore it anyway and drive in the way that advantages them, as per the culture - self advantage above everything else.

It would help if drivers could be trained to take a curve properly. Half these drivers would wind up dead pretty quickly if they ever tackled the mountainous roads of neighboring Laos or once Myanmar opens up (perhaps around the time of AEC 2015) not to mention China, I wonder how Thai truck and bus drivers will tackle the never ending winding roads of Shan State, Karen and Kayah states in Myanmar or Yunnan province in China. Not to mention Thai drivers of private cars.

You bitch and moan and complain about the lack of good rules etc. and as soon as they start upgrading the system you bitch and moan and complain.

I for one, and I suspect many others, wouldn't bitch and moan and complain, as you put it.

People who do complain are generally those that wantonly break the rules, knowing full well they can with minimal penalty.

Many years ago in the UK, I got 3 points on my licence and a 40GBP fine for driving at 35MPH in a 30 zone, most dual carriageways in the UK are set at 50, but not in Stoke-on-Trent apparently.

Did I bitch and moan and complain then? ...... yes I did, but I also became more aware, and that was the only ticket I ever got.

If tickets were handed out for every driving offence I see here daily, it would look like a ticker-tape parade for more than a few weeks, but there would then be some serious improvement, and not "it's a bit better than it was 25 years ago"

Serious enforcement improves driving skills and saves lives, not a slightly harder test, end of.

It was the license centre that said that It would be OK to drive for 6 months on UK license as police would assume I was a tourist.

To drive or lease a car in Thailand as a tourist or visitor it is necessary to have either a Thai driving licence or a valid foreign driving licence with a photograph. The foreign licence must either be in English, or be accompanied by an official translation into English or Thai. The licence needs to have been issued by a country that has a treaty with the Thai government allowing the mutual acceptance of driving licences. Most countries, including Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the UK and the USA have this agreement with Thailand under the 1949 Geneva Convention on Road Traffic or the 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic. Those in doubt should contact their embassy for advice.

An International Driver's License/Permit (IDL/IDP) is also valid in Thailand, and available from a government department or authorized auto club at a small expense. A foreign driving licence valid under the 1949 or 1968 Conventions qualifies the licence holder to apply for the IDL/IDP, and its holders may find that it is more often recognised and accepted by police and civil service officials. Beware of the many IDP/IDL websites that are not legitimate.

If the driver is not a tourist or visitor but is a resident with a non-immigrant visa, then it is necessary to have a Thai driver's licence. However, those with a foreign licence as described above or an International Drivers Licence are excused from doing the practical driving test when applying for a Thai driving license.

Note: Although International Driving Licences are valid for up to one year after arrival in Thailand, after three months many comprehensive insurance policies are made void if still driving on a foreign licence.

Licence holders may only drive the category of vehicle for which their licence is valid.

I just looked at my Thai liscense and of course, it expired on the 28th of March 2014. Does anyone know the regulations / requirements / problems or pitfals to avoid in obtaining a renewal? Does it matter that my liscense is 2 months expired?

Input will be appreciated.. I will post my experience.

I have been driving on my UK licence for the last 10 years,no problem.In that time I have had a couple of minor bumps,once with a taxi,he pulled out without looking and another with a m/c who cut across the front of me and I had no chance of missing.I have always maintained 1st class insurance and when the assesors came they took a picture of my licence and no questions asked.I used to get stopped regularly on the Don Mueng tollway.Showed them my licence which they accepted.The reason I didn't bother with a Thai licence is because a friend of mine went to the Lad Phroa office to get an international licence and he was told he did not need his UK licence was ok,Just as an extra precaution if I get pulled over I never give them my licence but hold it so they can read it.

Then you have been exactly the same as many Thais for the last 9 1/2 yrs .... driving WITHOUT a license ......... your UK license is only valid for 6 months (enough time to allow you to get a Thai license)

Can you show me where it states this,I would hate to break the law.

Edited by stattointhailand

Went in to renew my 2 drivers licenses yesterday at Chiang Mai and absolutely packed with people getting their license before this comes into affect.

4 1/2 hours i waited and 10 minutes to get renewed licenses.

Serious question: has anyone EVER seen a police cruiser on a busy Thai road waiting for speedsters???? I have seen police on motor bikes, stopping to check safety belt usage or m/b helmets, but NEVER have I seen a police car chasing a speeder or ANY kind of law-breaker.

Does anyone have an experience to relate?

Nice to to see they put more effort on this subject but as others already said, driving without a licence must be punished more harsh, like minimum 5.000,- Baht or when refuse to pay some jailtime, if involved in an accident jailtime and the vehicle should be confiscated when caught without a licence! Otherwise no learning curve here.

coffee1.gif

The problem with fines is that they are written down on the laws, so a heavy fine set in the 60s today is a ridiculous low amount; and that is not something limited to traffic law.

Hopefully, someday, they'll get a clue and set the value of fines according to an inflation adjusted index.

A wise minister of transport would look first to countries with a very low traffic accident rate and send some officers from the land office and from the police over to learn and how to plan a nationwide project to improve enforcing the law and traffic behavior.

Probably too much asked.

As ever, this is only PART of the 5 E's and Has such case only have minimal effect.

Also if you look at most drivers on this thread the older ones in particular and ask about their driving tests, you will find especially in the US that their tests were a farce too.

"The Department of Land Transport believes that the new test will bring driving in Thailand to that of international driving standards, making drivers pay more attention when driving and therefore reducing the number of accidents on Thailand’s roads."

For a moment I thought that this was 1st April again! Driving standards will never improve here until the authorities start revoking people's licences for a lengthy period and sending anyone driving without a licence to prison.

Alan

When I renewed my license last year, I was required to sit through a Thai soap opera (complete with sad music and crying kids)safety video. It was rather entertaining. That said, after the Thai driver gets this additional training and safety instruction, they will still back up 100 meters on any road because they missed a turn, tailgate like they want to sit in your backseat, assume indicator blinkers are mere accessories, talk and text on the phone while driving and generally be rude, thoughtless, selfish drivers!

You forgot Arrogant. wai.gif

Serious question: has anyone EVER seen a police cruiser on a busy Thai road waiting for speedsters???? I have seen police on motor bikes, stopping to check safety belt usage or m/b helmets, but NEVER have I seen a police car chasing a speeder or ANY kind of law-breaker.

Does anyone have an experience to relate?

Their cars are not fast enough, but they do bring out the radar guns sometimes. Hopefully I'll get another 15 years of driving at 320 kph before it's all Westernized.

"The Department of Land Transport believes that the new test will bring driving in Thailand to that of international driving standards, making drivers pay more attention when driving and therefore reducing the number of accidents on Thailand’s roads."

For a moment I thought that this was 1st April again! Driving standards will never improve here until the authorities start revoking people's licences for a lengthy period and sending anyone driving without a licence to prison.

Alan

Well from the looks of it, that would probably get rid of half the farang on the roads. coffee1.gif

Thanks God, finally they think about a proper and standard test that it is important. They should include the training about the consideration and discipline to other road users as well. I hate some people change lain without put the indicator. They just squeeze you until you have to slow down and let them in. bah.gif

The place to start is BICYCLE TRAINING. Thai learn to ride bicycle, then apply those principles and habits to their motorbikes, and then behind the wheel of car or huge truck. There is a straight line from bad bicycle riding to bad driving, but adults are too late to train.

The place to start is BICYCLE TRAINING. Thai learn to ride bicycle, then apply those principles and habits to their motorbikes, and then behind the wheel of car or huge truck. There is a straight line from bad bicycle riding to bad driving, but adults are too late to train.

That should be really helpful, in case you hadn't noticed Thai kids are riding motorbikes by the same age as they learn to read.