Canadian is new Australian Honorary Consul in Phuket

Lite Beer

A sad state when there are no suitable Aussies whistling.gif

Not really, after all she is an Australian qualified lawyer, and to all intents and purposes a decent person who will not be "walked over" I say congratulations to the lady.

• Like 1

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am stunned! I have nothing against this Canadian woman, she is no doubt a decent person but WHY would the Australian Government appoint a CANADIAN, or indeed anyone other than an AUSTRALIAN to this position?

Read the OP!

"Mrs Hawryluk [...] holds a licence to practise law in New South Wales, Australia."

Doesn't make her an Aussie.

Anyway she is tidy and if she can do the same job of Larry Cunningham then you is a worthy replacement. She has to meet his standard or better it or else she is a complete failure as an acting aussie.

• Like 1

You just have to say "eh" at the end of every sentence .......whistling.giftongue.png .... eh!

Read it again................she is from Canada, not Queensland .facepalm.giffacepalm.gifwhistling.gif

He is saying she has to learn to be an Aussie, not meaning she is from Qld ehbiggrin.png

I am stunned! I have nothing against this Canadian woman, she is no doubt a decent person but WHY would the Australian Government appoint a CANADIAN, or indeed anyone other than an AUSTRALIAN to this position?

Surely there MUST be some suitable Australian in Phuket! Are all the Aussies in Phuket, drunken sleazebags or something?

OMG ! did'nt you see the thumbnails of the applicants ayeee rolleyes.gif

Edited by oldsailor35

You just have to say "eh" at the end of every sentence .......whistling.giftongue.png .... eh!

Dundonians say ''Eh'' too...

For goodness sake learn strine........it s ayeeee not eh.facepalm.giffacepalm.gif

Yea but we are not all Queenslanders, that place is an entire different world when it comes to Australia. I believe they are considering electricity in 2075 after they educate the population about switches.

• Like 1

For goodness sake learn strine........it s ayeeee not eh.facepalm.giffacepalm.gif

Yea but we are not all Queenslanders, that place is an entire different world when it comes to Australia. I believe they are considering electricity in 2075 after they educate the population about switches.

Keep thinking that way ..........we love it biggrin.png just come up like the rest of ya and spend some more money ayeee. clap2.gif

• Like 1

This sheila will never be an Aussie until she supports a football team with a passion and can recite the game verbatim. I suggest she aligns herself to the saints. If she adopts Collingwood she will alienate the vast population of Aussies and be seen as nothing more than a toothless, dole bludging bogan. Monday mornings in the office is religious encounters discussing the weekends football.

Edited by chooka
  • Like 2

This sheila will never be an Aussie until she supports a football team with a passion and can recite the game verbatim. I suggest she aligns herself to the saints. If she adopts Collingwood she will alienate the vast population of Aussies and be seen as nothing more than a toothless, dole bludging bogan. Monday mornings in the office is religious encounters discussing the weekends football.

Why in the hell should she do that, the rest of Australia does'nt.......Aerial ping pong indeed ! rolleyes.gifw00t.gif

Aye Aye captain! .... not same same.... quite different.... eh! tongue.pngbiggrin.png

Your Mr Abbot is seriously budget slashing.... guess this Canada lass came in low bid!.... whistling.gif

Edited by samuijimmy

....sounds like she will now have more business than she can handle....for the rest of her career...

...very astute.....

...but will she have any time at all to fulfill her honorary consul duties.....

I wonder what would happen if some drunken Australian, who has been banged up, insists on Diplomatic assistance from an Australian, not a Canadian, which is probably a fair request.

I will bet my balls it will happen. I have dealt with many drunks who have committed criminal offences and lodged in the cells.

Sigh . . . Canada and Australia have had an agreement on sharing consular services since the late 1980s. Updates since then have added to the base agreements and expanded services. The reason is that both countries are fairly small and could not afford to mount full embassies and consular services in every country of the world. So they share facilities and functions. But more important, for example, an Australian can perform some consular functions for Canada with the full support of the Canadian ministry of external affairs, and vice versa. What you are seeing is a just another appointment that serves both governments' needs. So what someone said earlier that there's no way an Aussie could take a Canadian position is absolutely wrong. It has been done and will continue around the world.

Disclaimer: I do not work and never have worked for either government in any capacity.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

Asked if her style will be as confrontational as Mr Cunningham, whose reputation was such that police would sometimes ask that a person with a problem not call him, and whose name alone, if mentioned, would often make extortionists back off, she said, “No, not at all. That’s definitely not my style.”

Described by Tim Shaw as “a caring, highly thoughtful individual, low-key in her approach..

amazing...

Edited by falkan

As an Aussie I have absolutely no problem with a well-qualified Canadian holding this position.

Some of you guys need to get over yourselves.

ps: nobody actually says "sheila" or "cobber" these days.

• Like 1

As an Aussie I have absolutely no problem with a well-qualified Canadian holding this position.

Some of you guys need to get over yourselves.

ps: nobody actually says "sheila" or "cobber" these days.

Still very common terms especially cobber.

I think ability to serve the Australian community should be one of the points considered. Not just how many pints you can put down in an evening. It sounds like the Australian community can appreciate the skills she brings to the job.

• Like 1

Still very common terms especially cobber. "sheila" is used by older aussies but i'm afraid cobber was last heard of just after ww2,i'm old enough to know .the same as rhyming slang quiet common when i was younger but on the wane,and it is not entirely australian its a left over from britain. older australians had what was basically a british education as the systems were the same in the days of my youth,also there were no immigrants to change the language structure,we were then british subjects.

i like canadians

Edited by heybuz

That's a bit rich coming from a Vic'

A Canadian as an Aussie consul. Never thought I'd see the day.

Am I correct in saying the Australian consul in Chiang Mai is English?

Well he was born there but apparently saw the light and has hardly lived survived there at all. I understand he did live over 20 years in Australia before relocating to Thailand.

A Canadian as an Aussie consul. Never thought I'd see the day.

Am I correct in saying the Australian consul in Chiang Mai is English?

Well he was born there but apparently saw the light and has hardly lived survived there at all. I understand he did live over 20 years in Australia before relocating to Thailand.

Yes, it was hard to survive there. I suggest the Australian consul in Chiang Mai was brought up during the second world war just as I was. Clearly he didn't survive too well in Australia as he only spent about twenty years there before seeing the light of day and moving here.