is starbucks a ripoff ?

Showbags

Most likely.....but how much, little bit ripoff or very big rippoff ?

This is not about quality of coffee as that is personal.....I actually like their coffees.

But, recently I have found 2 new coffee shops near us, one setup in style of sb....aircon, comfy seats, huge coffee menu etc.......

and both of these places are half price sb and with excellent tasting coffee....examplr.....iced latte 55 and 60b......hot latte 50b.

sb is105 I think....

• Like 1

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a business, make as much as you can, for as little as you can, if you happen to maintain any resemblance of quality or service for repeat business then you have the perfect model.

Actual commodity is irrelevant, its all about presentation and marketing.

Edited by CharlieH
  • Like 1

wouldnt drink sb coffee if it was free ................every foodcourt has a choi doii coffee frachise coffee is only 35 and taste better

amazon is ok too for 60 but more comfortable and free wifi

both prices are for mocha with ice

outside my house its 15-20 thb at the side of the road

• Like 2

Their prices are no different where ever you go, pay the same price in the UK as you would in Thailand, or thereabouts. I don't mind Starbucks, air conditioned coffee shop and decent enough coffee, but I agree there are better places. My regular place has no air con, but has a bakery and makes decent coffee. I like to go and sit there on a day off and pass the time.

As I spend the majority of my time on Koh Chang, the invasion of the big chains has not happened as of yet, and hopefully won't.

Over priced and they don't even fill the cup full of coffee. I go to a Thai owned coffee stall on Suthep RD, Twenty-five baht for a delicious cup of coffee and more flavorful than SBs, IMHO :)

Their prices are no different where ever you go, pay the same price in the UK as you would in Thailand, or thereabouts. I don't mind Starbucks, air conditioned coffee shop and decent enough coffee, but I agree there are better places. My regular place has no air con, but has a bakery and makes decent coffee. I like to go and sit there on a day off and pass the time.

As I spend the majority of my time on Koh Chang, the invasion of the big chains has not happened as of yet, and hopefully won't.

not even a mcdonalds or kfc yet ?

A couple of weeks ago I went to Coffeebeans and something-or-other, on the corner of Sukhumvit and Soi 22, under the Holiday Inn.

Big, big shop.

The coffee cost me 110 baht. Before I ordered I asked if the Wi-Fi worked.

Oh, yes!

I paid, I sat down, the TV web page took three minutes to load.

A huge coffee shop, brand new, with no plugs for charging and no toilets for moving along the coffee … I'd say that's expensive.

And there is where the ripoff is; In Thailand the rent and labour costs are a fifth of the UK, US, or wherever so the prices should reflect that.

Aside from the fact that the coffee is not very good.

There is a chap that has a VERY modest coffee shop in Hat Yai. 40 bht for an iced espresso. THE BEST coffee I have ever tasted. An American customer of his said the same thing.

If I had the dosh, I'd franchise him and his coffee. He has a secret blend and a good barrista technique....it's a pity he only sells about 5 coffees per day as he is out of the tourist areas and does not have much foot traffic. Luckily, his wife owns the house/shop and works. It's just something he likes to do, not a real business.

Any Hat Yaians wanting to try it out, PM me and I'll tell you how to find his shop on Sai Neung. If you're a coffee lover, you will be impressed, I'm sure.

• Like 2

A couple of weeks ago I went to Coffeebeans and something-or-other, on the corner of Sukhumvit and Soi 22, under the Holiday Inn.

Big, big shop.

The coffee cost me 110 baht. Before I ordered I asked if the Wi-Fi worked.

Oh, yes!

I paid, I sat down, the TV web page took three minutes to load.

A huge coffee shop, brand new, with no plugs for charging and no toilets for moving along the coffee … I'd say that's expensive.

the coffeeshop outside honda bigwing in bkk is 130 or 150 i think for a large iced coffee,i was shocked a brand ive never heard of was charging so much

but it was a sunday afteroon and no other place seemed to be around so we paid it ,if the coffee was exceptionally good i wouldnt mind but ive had better cups from stalls for 25 thb ................amazinng thailand eh :D

not even a mcdonalds or kfc yet ?

No, they haven't arrived yet.

wouldnt drink sb coffee if it was free ................every foodcourt has a choi doii coffee frachise coffee is only 35 and taste better

amazon is ok too for 60 but more comfortable and free wifi

both prices are for mocha with ice

outside my house its 15-20 thb at the side of the road

Choi Doii, reasonable cappuccino only 35 baht, seem to be expanding quickly.

Amazon, Mezzo, all around 65 baht for a cappuccino in slightly nicer surroundings.

Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf is very nice but you're getting to 90 baht which is my price limit in Thailand for a cappuccino.

Any dearer and it's western prices in shops paying Thai wages, so overpriced.

Amazon rates as some of the worst coffee I have ever tasted.

I'd agree it's not great, but the real problem is inconsistency. I've had OK coffees at various outlets. (I usually go for one of their coffees when I need to refill the petrol tank and empty the bladder tank on long distance trips.) However, at one outlet the coffee was so bad that after two sips I completely gave up and threw it away.

You are getting ripped off by paying any money at all for a Starbucks coffee

I can say that I've been here many years and I've never been to a Starbucks.

In general, I don't drink coffee outside of home in Thailand, as it's usually only a half a cup and has far too much milk and sugar.

All comes down to personal taste in the end. Black Canyon are everywhere, had coffee there maybe three times in ten years and thought it the worst coffee I have had in Thailand, mediocre food also yet I was there each time with Thais who enjoyed it. Starbucks for me is overpriced and ordinary but in Bangkok the other day, every Starbucks I passed was busy, especially the one at Terminal 21 with hardly a spare seat. Coffee World, Mezzo, CBTL and McDonalds are where l seem to end up most.

Black Canyon is also <deleted>....no arguing the thais like it same same Amazon....says more about them but.

As for sb being busy...yes, its the seen and be seen kind of place to be innit.....so may shallow people on the planet.

• Like 1

Starbucks is the most exprnsive and the cake is not very tasty. Amazon has poor coffee and latte. Black canyon looks like a fast food eatery. I am always happy to find a small private places , where coffee is made with love, great atmosphere and some homemade cakes or waffles. But they are hard to find in Thailand.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 7 mit Tapatalk

• Like 1

Starbucks is the most exprnsive and the cake is not very tasty. Amazon has poor coffee and latte. Black canyon looks like a fast food eatery. I am always happy to find a small private places , where coffee is made with love, great atmosphere and some homemade cakes or waffles. But they are hard to find in Thailand.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 7 mit Tapatalk

dont think any one makes a few hundred coffees a day with "love" :D but i understand the small stalls

that sell a decent coffee are usually better than the super greedy franchises

the advantage the franchises usually have is a prime location, and creature comforts like ,aircon , soft seats and maybe wifi for those that are too

stingy to pay for unlimited 3G etc

Look at it like this. They sell a ponf of coffee for about 300 baht. A pond of coffee will make around 90 cups of coffee. They sell their cups of coffe for an average of 90 baht. 90cups x 90baht = 8100 baht, from a 200 baht investment (wholesale). While they are doing this they are paying their staff a max of 30 baht an hour. Obviously their profit margin is huge. But a rip off? Over priced? yes. But if you choose to pay it, it is not really being "cheated". I hate the mark up, but to be honest, I would be happy to own a Starbucks and make a fortune.

• Like 1

Yes, it is absolutely overpriced. However, I know a few folks who live off of that stuff. They are seriously addicted. I don't understand it and certainly do not buy into it myself. I drink coffee every single day and have been in a Starbucks maybe twice in 10+ years.