is starbucks a ripoff ?

Showbags

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of experts around here. Why don't you go and start your own coffee house chain since you know so much.

Starbucks franchisee are we?

I don't think anyone claims to be an expert (maybe they do but haven't mentioned it yet), it's just people voicing opinions on tastes.

What do YOU think of SB coffee? You must have an opinion too, surely.

• Like 1

I have mixed feelings about patronizing a store that has aggressive social advocacy, particularly when it is contrary to my values. Starbucks, while advocating fair market payment for coffee growers- seems honorable- otherwise aggressively involves itself in US social politics, in ways I find distasteful. It is a remarkable business model that make others seek to emulate it. Like the OP, I like the coffee, but it is also overpriced. I just don't like to spend my money which advocates issues I'm either neutral or object to.

The paper Logo'ed cup is worth more than the contents in it.

It's the ambiance, clean bathrooms and generally upscale patrons, along with menu commonality across all platforms of the franchise.

Paying $5 for a some coffee concoction generally keeps the riff-raff and cheap-charlies out.

This is a plus, leaving mostly successful, intelligent people to frequent the establishment.
Finally, someone interesting to possibly talk with.

whistling.gifcoffee1.gif

Edited by cobra

starbucks serves a purpose in that it allows us to see how many shallow people inhabit this fare planet of ours.

that would be shallow people who have never ever tasted good coffee.

if it were for free i wouldnt drink the dishwater they market as coffee. als who on earth wants a 16 oz coffee. they have completely bastardized the whole concept of drinking coffee ...

give me starbangs anyday :)

Edited by jonesthebaker
  • Like 1

Their prices are no different where ever you go, pay the same price in the UK as you would in Thailand, or thereabouts. I don't mind Starbucks, air conditioned coffee shop and decent enough coffee, but I agree there are better places. My regular place has no air con, but has a bakery and makes decent coffee. I like to go and sit there on a day off and pass the time.

As I spend the majority of my time on Koh Chang, the invasion of the big chains has not happened as of yet, and hopefully won't.

And there is where the ripoff is; In Thailand the rent and labour costs are a fifth of the UK, US, or wherever so the prices should reflect that.

Aside from the fact that the coffee is not very good.

There is a chap that has a VERY modest coffee shop in Hat Yai. 40 bht for an iced espresso. THE BEST coffee I have ever tasted. An American customer of his said the same thing.

If I had the dosh, I'd franchise him and his coffee. He has a secret blend and a good barrista technique....it's a pity he only sells about 5 coffees per day as he is out of the tourist areas and does not have much foot traffic. Luckily, his wife owns the house/shop and works. It's just something he likes to do, not a real business.

Any Hat Yaians wanting to try it out, PM me and I'll tell you how to find his shop on Sai Neung. If you're a coffee lover, you will be impressed, I'm sure.

Seastallion.....Be careful in those small home shops....you could pick up an ear infection or something...biggrin.png

• Like 1

It's the ambiance, clean bathrooms and generally upscale patrons, along with menu commonality across all platforms of the franchise.

Paying $5 for a some coffee concoction generally keeps the riff-raff and cheap-charlies out.

This is a plus, leaving mostly successful, intelligent people to frequent the establishment.

whistling.gifcoffee1.gif

Paying 2 - 3 times the price of superior products elsewhere is intelligent? Drinking swill that is worth less than the cup?

BTW, not all wealthy people are nice and/or smart. I'm sure most intelligent successful people, if they considered "The paper Logo'ed cup is worth more than the contents in it." would not buy it.

I'm sure of it!

Their prices are no different where ever you go, pay the same price in the UK as you would in Thailand, or thereabouts. I don't mind Starbucks, air conditioned coffee shop and decent enough coffee, but I agree there are better places. My regular place has no air con, but has a bakery and makes decent coffee. I like to go and sit there on a day off and pass the time.

As I spend the majority of my time on Koh Chang, the invasion of the big chains has not happened as of yet, and hopefully won't.

And there is where the ripoff is; In Thailand the rent and labour costs are a fifth of the UK, US, or wherever so the prices should reflect that.

Aside from the fact that the coffee is not very good.

There is a chap that has a VERY modest coffee shop in Hat Yai. 40 bht for an iced espresso. THE BEST coffee I have ever tasted. An American customer of his said the same thing.

If I had the dosh, I'd franchise him and his coffee. He has a secret blend and a good barrista technique....it's a pity he only sells about 5 coffees per day as he is out of the tourist areas and does not have much foot traffic. Luckily, his wife owns the house/shop and works. It's just something he likes to do, not a real business.

Any Hat Yaians wanting to try it out, PM me and I'll tell you how to find his shop on Sai Neung. If you're a coffee lover, you will be impressed, I'm sure.

Seastallion.....Be careful in those small home shops....you could pick up an ear infection or something...biggrin.png

More likely to get an ear infection in a strange pool. wink.png

Amazon rates as some of the worst coffee I have ever tasted.

And for a company named after a river bigger than the next seven largest rivers combined, they serve shot-glass-sized cappuccinos.

I thought it was named after big strong women.....but the comparison remains the same smile.png

whistling.gifcoffee1.gif

I would rather drink my coffee in peace than talk to anyone who thinks Starbucks coffee is good.... Go figure

McCafé cake is better than the one from Starbucks (the ones i tried so far). But never take an Americano (or Long Black) over there. Maybe it's black, but is complete tasteless.

I am pretty sure that the food in Starbucks Thailand is not the same as in America. In Chiang Mai, they hire a local Western restaurant to supply a few baked goods that are not bad, but overpriced. McCafé baked goods are not all that good either.

Edited by Ulysses G.

I would rather drink my coffee in peace than talk to anyone who thinks Starbucks coffee is good.... Go figure

It tastes fine to me, but I can get the same quality for much less elsewhere. A lot of people are pretentious phonies when it comes to coffee.

5411631_f260.jpg

Lots of experts around here. Why don't you go and start your own coffee house chain since you know so much.

Starbucks franchisee are we?

I don't think anyone claims to be an expert (maybe they do but haven't mentioned it yet), it's just people voicing opinions on tastes.

What do YOU think of SB coffee? You must have an opinion too, surely.

Wait, Starbucks has franchisees?

Do you realize that the majority of people both Thai and farang think that Starbucks is overpriced? You are not in the minority. You are the majority. Yet you speak as if you are in the minority. You speak as if you are proud of yourself for taking a stand and/or have figured something out that others have not. I have seen this topic on Thai Visa half a dozen times. It is the same thing everytime. 95% of the responses pile in about how they hate Starbucks and how only idiots spend money there. There are quite a few topics created on this forum seemingly everyday that follow the same format. The desperation and insecurity is obvious even when it is only a few sentences being expressed.

Overpriced,overated,and pretentious,about the same as all the other coffee products,from various companies, posing as high quality beverage at £5 a pop in some places,such as Airports,and many other rip off joints! supplying around 97% steaming hot water! the rest is sugar, milk,and stewed coffee bean extract,made to sound like something rare and exotic from South America.

Is starbucks a Rip off? IMO yes the same as all the other coffee companies.