Filthy Phuket klong problem ‘solved’

Lite Beer

Filthy Phuket klong problem ‘solved’
Suthicha Sirirat

1400301857_1-org.jpg

The klong looks a lot more healthy now.

PHUKET: A strict warning to hotels and other businesses not to dump sewage and foul water into Klong Bang Tao at the south end of BangTao Bay has paid dividends, Phuket Vice-Governor Somkiet Sungkhaosutthirak said on Thursday (May 15) after visiting the klong.

Cherng Talay Municipality has issued warnings to businesses and hotels that if anyone is caught releasing untreated waste into the canal or the sea they risk arrest and the closure of their business.

"Today I came to follow up on the situation and we found there was only a small quantity of bad water. Partly this was because it was high tide, so it was difficult to see if there was any foul water".

Cherng Talay Mayor Ma-Ann Samran said, “This bad water problem happened last year and again this year. Now it is already partly solved".

“As a temporary solution we dredged all the sediment out of the klong. For the long term, we are building a wastewater treatment plant".

“When that is finished, it will be capable of cleaning all the wastewater in the area. We will enforce the law prohibiting fouling of the klong and the sea. In June, we will call a meeting to take care of this bad water.”

It was not explained why the vice-governor decided to check the site at high tide, after recent heavy rain which must have combined to sluice out the klong.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/filthy-phuket-klong-problem-%E2%80%98solved%E2%80%99-46308.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-05-17

Of course the high tide brings in fresh sea water making it appear as if the problem is solved. Besides claiming no budget, why hasn't a wastewater treatment plant been installed? Surely no one wants to swim in untreated <deleted>.

If zoning laws for proper septic systems aren't enforced or don't exist in the first place, this is what happens.

Allowing improper or nonexistent septic systems on an island dependent on beautiful beaches makes one scratch his/her head.

• Like 1

Finger pointing picture + problem "solved" = cheesy.gif TIT. Businesses will continue to dump into the klong (but do not forget to pay whistling.gif) and the klongs will continue to dump into the sea (right below the beaches).

Water treatment plant? I bet you will never see any, over if any (at least 5 years from now) it will stop work after the initial 6 months and the great inauguration ceremony with all officials (and of course, finger pointing pictures for the Media).

TIT, it will NEVER change.

Heavy rains, and high tide....hmmmmm.....or maybe I am being a tad cynical......good group point thoughgiggle.gif

It is indeed a fantastic 'group point', perhaps shouting cheese at the camera translates into Thai as point at the klong.

So after years of releasing their waste into the Klong…..what are all the businesses doing with it now?

Its unusual for any business in Thailand to adhere to a good telling off….it just doesn't happen…..because a few hundred baht fine is way cheaper than dealing with the issue properly.

I wonder if they actually test the water in that Klong rather than just looking at it?

If it really is cleaner…..there are probably huge amounts of chemicals going in there to make it appear that way.

• Like 1

So after years of releasing their waste into the Klong…..what are all the businesses doing with it now?

Its unusual for any business in Thailand to adhere to a good telling off….it just doesn't happen…..because a few hundred baht fine is way cheaper than dealing with the issue properly.

I wonder if they actually test the water in that Klong rather than just looking at it?

If it really is cleaner…..there are probably huge amounts of chemicals going in there to make it appear that way.

Yup! You got it. Welcome to LOS. coffee1.gif

Heavy rains, and high tide....hmmmmm.....or maybe I am being a tad cynical......good group point thoughgiggle.gif

It is indeed a fantastic 'group point', perhaps shouting cheese at the camera translates into Thai as point at the klong.

My oh my. Aren't we the cynical posters who know everything about Thailand....?

Well I went to see for myself looking at klong in three different places. The water which was a horrible grey colour two weeks ago is now far cleaner than I ever remember seeing it and the foul smell has completely gone. This was at low tide this afternoon.

Edited by Soupdragon

My oh my. Aren't we the cynical posters who know everything about Thailand....?

Phuket is not in Thailand.

This place is "The People's Democratic Mafia's Republic of Phuket." cheesy.gif

It's a different country. smile.png

Edited by NamKangMan

Finger pointing picture + problem "solved" = cheesy.gif TIT. Businesses will continue to dump into the klong (but do not forget to pay whistling.gif) and the klongs will continue to dump into the sea (right below the beaches).

Water treatment plant? I bet you will never see any, over if any (at least 5 years from now) it will stop work after the initial 6 months and the great inauguration ceremony with all officials (and of course, finger pointing pictures for the Media).

TIT, it will NEVER change.

Just like your posts.

Please show us pictures of the dredger and the rest of the canal? Were I stay it still stinks and has black water. The recent rains only make it look good for a photo op for the media. If you swim in the sea there, you will only be swimming through the motions? 5 People believe you the rest of us don't.