Uk Vv For 'unemployed' Gf

Hi

Sorry yes another UK Visa thread !!!! :o

We will soon be applying for my Girlfriends Visitor Visa. I will be funding her trip and have followed the guidance and lots of advice from the forum to get a good amount of evidence on my part.

However my girlfriend in the last three months quit her restuarant cook job in Samui and moved back with her parents. She works in her parents shop and cooks for the locals but all the money is kept by her mum so she has no real income. Would a letter from her mum do any good or will the immigration official just disregard this? (plus it would have to be in thai, would that matter?)

Also apart from a copy of her passport, ID card and bank statements if she can get them, would there be any other evidence she could supply?

Many thanks in advance

Ian,

I would suggest that a letter from the parents will carry little evidential weight as, I presume, your g/f is not contractually bound to work for them.

If she owns any land or has other assets in Thailand, she should submit evidence of these.

Cheers,

Scouse.

Thanks mate

I thought that might the case with the parents letter, maybe it would still be good for the application as I don't want them thinking she's a bar girl.

She's got no assets that i know of, (except a pretty knackered moped and I think even that might be her brothers!! )

I suppose then it's just down to proving a good relationship between us......

.......think I'll spend my first two weeks back in Thailand praying to Budda :o

Ian.

To be more exact ,rather than carrying "little" evidential weight as suggested by the scoucer, it will actually carry NO evidential weight and in fact could be harmful in drawing attention to the fact that basically she has no job.

Although you can fund the trip and provide accomodation, the biggest task you have is persuading the Embassy visa officers that she has a good reason to return to Thailand at the end of the visit. Now to be blunt , like most applicants, is it fair to say she has no concrete reason to return?

Assuming this to be so , unfortunately your girlfriend, in common with a high percentage of other young/ish Thais who are unemployed , fall into the category of undesirables as far as the Government are concerned. They don't want them in the UK and so the visa officers will likely as not be looking from the start to find reasons to refuse this . You will have to really make your application as strong as you can by totally addressing the financial and accomodation issues with swathes of documentation showing you can fulfill all these requirements easily. When it comes to "reason to return" you will have to be honest and explain that you are in a relationship and that you want her to visit your country. Furthur you both understand fully the implications of her staying exactly as long as you say (ie if you say a 3 week holiday make it 3 weeks , not 3 months etc )and that because your rewlationship will hopefully progress in the future , neither of you will want to jepodise furthur applications by breaking any of the terms of this one . Therefore you will have to persuade them that you are a genuine couple with an eye to the future who will return to Thailand as stated.

Of course this is dreadfully unfair and prejudice against those who don't have good jobs (and even they don't always get the visas either) but then life is unfair. We all know that. You then face the lottery of getting an understanding visa officer or one in a bad mood. Again very unfair. This is the reality and you must both try as hard as you can to make this application watertight. Read and re-read all the guideance notes available on the government websites of UKVisas, and the British Embassy Bangkok. On UKVisas website you will also want to browse through the Diplomatic Services Procedures .

On the bright side, if she does manage to get the vv then it should make any future applications much much more credible providing you abide by all the terms of this one. Good luck !!

Furthur you both understand fully the implications of her staying exactly as long as you say (ie if you say a 3 week holiday make it 3 weeks , not 3 months etc )and that because your rewlationship will hopefully progress in the future , neither of you will want to jepodise furthur applications by breaking any of the terms of this one.

On the bright side, if she does manage to get the vv then it should make any future applications much much more credible providing you abide by all the terms of this one. Good luck !!

When a VV is granted, I thought that a visitor would be able to stay for 6 months out of 12?

Would it prejudice a further application if the applicant stated that they would like to stay for a 6 week holiday yet stayed for 6 months?

Technically they would not be overstaying on the visa?

Would the embassy take this into consideration on any subsequent visa applications?

This is such a misunderstood aspect of the visa system you would think the Government websites would make it very clear , but that would smack of them being helpful and that would be too much to ask.

Technically you would not be overstaying your visa but YES it would DEFINATELY be to your detriment next time you applied. Although you are confusingly given a 6 month visa , the fact is when you apply for the vv you are asked likely duration of visit. If you say 3 weeks then you are expected to keep to this figure give or take a few days or so. You are not expected to say 3 weeks and stay 6 months. If you want to stay 6 months then you say so. That is quite a long time for a visit so you would have to provide much more proof of funds, accomodation and reason to return (would anyone with a job in Thailand be given 6 months leave ? ..unlikely they would think). There is no doubt you have more chance with a sensible 3-4 weeks visit than you do with a 3 or 4 month one.

And i would support the Embassy on this one point. After all, if you say 3 weeks you can't accidently change your mind and make it 3 months . I mean that shows lack of planning and inconsistant behaviour.

But then i never understand how so many visitors to thailand "accidently" overstay by a month or so. There are so many posts on the other forum about people asking what will happen now they have overstayed by a period of time . How can anyone overstay and not know it ? So look at it the other way and you can see the ECO's view of Thai people who overstay or stay longer than they said on the application. Obviously its a negative so why do it .

Work out how long you want to stay and stick to it. You can always ask for longer next time .

Ian,

For reasons known only to himself, atlastaname is being unduly pessimistic.

Many people have successfully obtained a visa to visit their boy/girlfriend in the UK even though they have not had a concrete reason to return. This is because they have shown their relationship to be genuine and therefore the reason for the visit to be genuine. Basically, if the ECO is satisfied on this point then s/he will feel that she would not want to jeopardise a future settlement application by overstaying or otherwise breaching the conditions of a visit visa.

You should write a covering letter briefly detailing the history of the relationship and the reason for wanting her to visit at this time; i.e. to meet your family and to get a taster of the UK. It would also be good to include a brief outline of you future plans together.

Provide lots of evidence of contact, phone bills, e-mails etc., and a selection of photos of the two of you together at different times and different locations always helps.

Brunodog,

Visit visas are usually multi entry. This means that the holder can enter and leave the UK as many times as they wish during the life of the visa. There is no actual rule saying that a visitor can't spend more than 6 months out of 12 in the UK, but if they were to do so then it would cause the IO or ECO to doubt that they were a genuine visitor.

However, if the ECO has doubts about the application, but not enough to refuse, then they may restrict the visa to a single entry, which means what it says. The ECO could also ask the applicant to sign an undertaking to return within a certain time limit. This undertaking is not enforceable in law, but breaking it would have serious implications as to the trustworthiness of the applicant and so cause problems with future applications.

Edited by GU22

Whilst i don't disagree with anything GU22 has said in his post it doesn't alter the fact that nothing i have said is wrong either. He says rightly that many people have obtained vv for their girl/boy friends . True but many have also failed. You should be aware of this and its CERTAINLY true that the longer you ask for the harder it gets. For example,3 weeks is easier than 6 months because you have to prove slightly less. Not saying you won't get 6 months, but then again you might not.

Given your girlfriends current situation, lack of a job and no assets , yours will not be an easy application . The onus is on you to show funds and accomodation to support her , show plenty of proof of your relationship , and as GU22 says, impress upon the officer that you don't want to jepodise any future applications by breaking any terms of your first visa.

Then you have a fair chance of success. Given her circumstances , she will more likely than not be asked for a full interview (and most certainly at least a short one) so you will need to try to prepare her to answer various questions about you and your relationship and future plans.

I am certainly not being pessimistic about your case as GU22 says, but REALISTIC. I think thats a better approach than being overly optimistic, don't you?

Whilst i don't disagree with anything GU22 has said in his post it doesn't alter the fact that nothing i have said is wrong either.
I didn't say that you said anything that was wrong, merely that you were being pessimistic.

Ian,

If you can show that you and your girlfriend are in a longstanding, genuine relationship (and providing the financial and accommodation criteria are met) I think you have an excellent chance.

Please let us know how she fares.

Now, we don't want this thread to degenerate into discussion of the authenticity or otherwise of the UK Visas statistics (again) :o

Scouse.

AGREED !!

Just when it started to get interesting.......

Every problem creates new opportunities, so pessimism should be used as a tool towards optimism both are realistically equal in such like situations, or In other words, it creates the need to cover one's arse better.

Once again this is the place to come for advice. The reason that this question was raised is because of the amount of work we have had to carry out for our second application.

It sometimes does feel like pushing water uphill :o

Then if it all works out we have to apply again maybe for a fiance visa!!

But I guess it must feel like it is worth it.

Just like GU22 has done before (ands I am sure you won't mind me saying), atlastaname is playing devils advocate. The reality of the situation has to be dealt with, and it is useful to get a number of different perspectives, even if they are not what you want to hear.