Advice wanted on Mae Sai visa run 30 day entry attempt

Hey everyone,

I'm currently in Thailand on a 90 day non-immigrant type O visa, which expires on May 26. I'd like to get another 30 days in Thailand but wanted to get the 30 day free entry stamp (it's not possible for me to apply for another non-immigrant O visa).

So I was going to just cross the border at Mae Sai and return the same day, but the recent news makes this sound risky.

Can anyone advise me if the Mae Sai visa run sounds do-able or do I need another solution, and if so, what?

I will be travelling with my father on this visa run and he has a return flight to Canada leaving a few days later, from Bangkok. We could stay in Myanmar a few days if this would help my chances.

Any ideas, suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

After the reports of refusal to allow border crossings in Mae Sai, I decided to verify the situation personally. Monday morning I visited the immigration office in Chiang Rai city and I received the official line that I could only cross for tourist purposes, but was told to check at the border for a definitive answer. For the past year, Mae Sai border officials have been limiting the number of crossings to 4 in succession and then you must fly out. When you fly back in you can start the process (4 crossings) all over again. On May 13th, I drove to the border to verify, if this, or something else similar was still possible. To my surprise they told me that I was still eligible for four border crossings in succession and since I had already made one at the end of April I could still do three more. They even marked my last border stamp with a number 1 to make it clear and reassure me. The only difference now is that after the '4 runs' I need to come back with a visa (tourist is fine). They also mentioned after looking at my stamp filled passport, "Oh, Canada, no problem, we have a problem with other countries".

Wow you really went out of your way to get some detailed information. Kudos to you well done.

Thanks for your reply kanook. You say you can do 4 border crossings, but do you mean while holding a multiple entry visa? I won't have any visa, my non-immigrant O visa expires on the 26th, and then I hoped to re enter without a visa and get 15 or 30 days. Any thoughts? (I've got a UK passport if that makes any difference).

If your visa is a multiple entry one and is still valid you can do one more crossing just be it expires and get another 90 entry.

If a single what is your non-o based upon? If marriage to a Thai or having a Thai child you could get a 60 day extension.

If none of the above then you should not have a problem getting an entry since it will be your first since getting a visa. It will only be for 15 days unless you are from a G7 country.

Thanks ubonjoe.

My visa is a single entry non O based on being a volunteer. As far as I know it can't be extended but I could be wrong.

My passport is from UK (G7 country) so I should get 30 days entry at Mae Sai? I was thinking of going to Immigration here in Chiang Mai just in case they can give me an extension and to see what they say about re entry at Mae Sai. Do you think that would be worth it, or should I just go straight to Mae Sai on the 26th?

The longest extension you can get is 7 days unless you have a work permit and supporting documents from the group you are/were volunteering for.

I suggest you just go to Mae Sai to get a 30 day entry.

One more piece of advice, although it won't necessarily apply in this case. If you absolutely want to use Mae Sai as a crossing point and have a Myanmar visa in your passport, Thai immigration can't prevent you from leaving because a Myanmar visa allows further travel into the country and they can presume you won't be coming back that wway. Therefore if you were to obtain a Myanmar visa (from Bangkok) you could travel into Myanmar overland and come back later without any fuss. Of course coming back into Thailand you would be subject to the same issues that everyone has been debating at length regarding the new rules (or enforcement of existing rules, depending upon how you look at it). I agree that Canadians/Brits are not a major target unlike Russians, Lao, Vietnamese, Filipinos and South Koreans (Brazilians too to some extent). But it is good that your father will have his return ticket so that will help you.

Thanks ubonjoe.

My visa is a single entry non O based on being a volunteer. As far as I know it can't be extended but I could be wrong.

My passport is from UK (G7 country) so I should get 30 days entry at Mae Sai? I was thinking of going to Immigration here in Chiang Mai just in case they can give me an extension and to see what they say about re entry at Mae Sai. Do you think that would be worth it, or should I just go straight to Mae Sai on the 26th?

Your Non O is a single entry therefore you used that on entering Thailand. Your current status on exiting would be the discretion of the Immigration officer. Therefore it's current status does not apply for re-entry. You might be able to get for a fee a conversion to a multiple entry. If so this is the option I would take. There are many changes going on now and it is up to the Immigration offices if they let you back in. If you have a multiple entry and go before May 26th you should be fine. However I have not had a Non O recently so I would still check if it has changed. Alternatively fly out and back in and you should be fine. I did that on Monday and was fine having had several 30 day stamps. I do not think they are targeting UK Passport holders as a priority but some other countries. You say you are leaving if you get the 30 days, do you have a flight booked, or is it a chicken and egg situation that you do not want to book the flight before you know the dates. However this would help if you are trying to re-enter on a 30 day stamp. Good luck let us know how it goes?

Edited by FiestyFarang

One more piece of advice, although it won't necessarily apply in this case. If you absolutely want to use Mae Sai as a crossing point and have a Myanmar visa in your passport, Thai immigration can't prevent you from leaving because a Myanmar visa allows further travel into the country and they can presume you won't be coming back that wway. Therefore if you were to obtain a Myanmar visa (from Bangkok) you could travel into Myanmar overland and come back later without any fuss. Of course coming back into Thailand you would be subject to the same issues that everyone has been debating at length regarding the new rules (or enforcement of existing rules, depending upon how you look at it). I agree that Canadians/Brits are not a major target unlike Russians, Lao, Vietnamese, Filipinos and South Koreans (Brazilians too to some extent). But it is good that your father will have his return ticket so that will help you.

I think you are a bit confused here, Thai Immigration do not have concerns people leaving but coming into Thailand.

After the reports of refusal to allow border crossings in Mae Sai, I decided to verify the situation personally. Monday morning I visited the immigration office in Chiang Rai city and I received the official line that I could only cross for tourist purposes, but was told to check at the border for a definitive answer. For the past year, Mae Sai border officials have been limiting the number of crossings to 4 in succession and then you must fly out. When you fly back in you can start the process (4 crossings) all over again. On May 13th, I drove to the border to verify, if this, or something else similar was still possible. To my surprise they told me that I was still eligible for four border crossings in succession and since I had already made one at the end of April I could still do three more. They even marked my last border stamp with a number 1 to make it clear and reassure me. The only difference now is that after the '4 runs' I need to come back with a visa (tourist is fine). They also mentioned after looking at my stamp filled passport, "Oh, Canada, no problem, we have a problem with other countries".

Yah, that was May 13,when the OP goes the new rule will be digested by then and most importantly how the IM officer understands the new directive which by the way won't be enforced until August Its crazy some boarders its under the discretion of the IM officer.

Choke D

Thanks ubonjoe.

Your Non O is a single entry therefore you used that on entering Thailand. Your current status on exiting would be the discretion of the Immigration officer. Therefore it's current status does not apply for re-entry. You might be able to get for a fee a conversion to a multiple entry. If so this is the option I would take. There are many changes going on now and it is up to the Immigration offices if they let you back in. If you have a multiple entry and go before May 26th you should be fine. However I have not had a Non O recently so I would still check if it has changed. Alternatively fly out and back in and you should be fine. I did that on Monday and was fine having had several 30 day stamps. I do not think they are targeting UK Passport holders as a priority but some other countries. You say you are leaving if you get the 30 days, do you have a flight booked, or is it a chicken and egg situation that you do not want to book the flight before you know the dates. However this would help if you are trying to re-enter on a 30 day stamp. Good luck let us know how it goes?

It is not possible to convert a single entry visa to a multiple visa. You can only apply for a new visa.

You might be confusing extensions of stay with a visa though. He would have to qualify for an extension in order to do that. Extensions are not done as multiple entries either. You have to apply for a re-entry permit.

All this halps a lot, thanks guys. I'd like to spend another 30 days in Thailand after May 26, but at least another 7 until my father goes back to Canada. After that I go to Malaysia, by train, and I wasn't going to get the train ticket before the visa run.

So I think what I'll do is just go straight to Mae Sai on the 26th to get the 30 days, and if they won't give it to me, I thought I could go back to the Immigration office in Chiang Rai and try to get the 7 day extension. Does this sound like a good idea?

Any more suggestions are most welcome, and I'll post to this thread again after I've done the visa run to let you know how it turned out. Many thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again.

Did the Mae Sai visa run on Monday and everything went smoothly. I was given 30 days on re entry with no problems. I noticed two other people in my visa run van also got 30 days, and I didn't see anyone being turned away.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Thanks for the post .Choke D

• 6 months later...

I know this is almost seven months ago but I was at the Mae Sai border checkpoint today. I was exited out of Thailand and went to Myanmar where I paid 500 baht. I then returned and after filling out paperwork for visa on arrival was permitted to enter Thailand and granted another 30 days. I won't be needing to stay that long but it's nice to have. Anyway, that was my experience today.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

@Hanuman2547: Thank you for this recent feedback. I want to utilise my one out-in visa run to Mae Sai soon to extend my stay a bit. I was here on a fly-in 30 day Visa Exempt stamp that I extended by a further 30 days at the visa office.

May I ask - were you in Thailand previously on a Tourist Visa? Or an Exempt Stamp? Had you extended your stay at a visa office within Thailand?

I know this is almost seven months ago but I was at the Mae Sai border checkpoint today. I was exited out of Thailand and went to Myanmar where I paid 500 baht. I then returned and after filling out paperwork for visa on arrival was permitted to enter Thailand and granted another 30 days.

You entered visa exempt. Not visa on arrival.