Youths held and bikes seized for racing

Lite Beer

Youths held and bikes seized for racing
The Sunday Nation

BANGKOK: -- A male officer was slightly injured when police rounded up 18 youths for road racing early yesterday morning at Bangkok's Don Muang district.

Don Muang Police deputy superintendent for traffic Lt-Colonel Wirat Seua-seuppan said police arrested 16 males and two females along with seized 22 motorcycles near Wat Don Muang.

Wirat said local residents and motorists on Kamphaeng Phet 6 and Song Prapha roads had complained about the road racing.

Wirat said police staked out at the area and moved in to arrest about 40 youngsters but many fled.

Those arrested were bought to Don Muang Police Station, with police checking to see if any of the motorbikes were stolen. The youths were charged with causing a public disturbance.

During the arrest, sub-Lieutenant Sanya Huthem was hit in his left knee by a motorbike.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-05-18

"During the arrest, sub-Lieutenant Sanya Huthem was hit in his left knee by a motorbike"

What a shame, the poor policeman hurt his knee.... better move him to an inactive post where he can have a 'rest' for a couple of months..coffee1.gif

Good job. But doing this once in a blue moon does not fix the racing problem.

If they make enough money this time, maybe they'll rinse and repeat.

Gotta start somewhere.

Signed: Incurable Optimist.

First arrest for illegal road racing: Three strokes of the cane and 5,000 Baht fine.

Second arrest: Five strokes of the cane and 10,000 Baht fine.

Third arrest: Seven strokes of the cane, confiscation of motorcycle by the state, and 15,000 Baht fine.

No driving license? Flat fine of 10,000 Baht on the first instance. Second instance, fine of 15,000 Baht. Third instance, 3 months imprisonment.

Resisting arrest and/or trying to flee: 3 months jail.

Injuring bystanders or policemen on duty? 100,000 Baht fine and/or 6 months jail.

Damaging property during racing (e.g. bumping into a car, etc.), full payment for damage repair plus 2 months community service.

Cruel? Yes. Harsh? Yes.

But those kids will never race again once they realize that these punishments are in fact meted out without exception.

• Like 2

No driving license? Flat fine of 10,000 Baht on the first instance. Second instance, fine of 15,000 Baht. Third instance, 3 months imprisonment.

Gonna be a lot of broke and banged up foreigners if this ever happens.

• Like 1

I do wonder if they checked to see which riders had helmets and licences.....

That would be a better start to the process, rather than charging them simply with being a 'public nuisance'......... ?

That could be a bit complicated for the BiB, well, sorting multiple stuff............whistling.gif

The national license is accepted for up to three months after your arrival, more than a "real tourist" will probably stay in the country. If you intend to settle down for longer periods, have your national license transferred to a Thai license, for goodness sake! It costs a mere 200 something Baht, you only have to pass five simple practical tests, and it's is valid for 1 year initially. It can then be renewed to a license valid for 5 years without further testing.

• Like 2

The national license is accepted for up to three months after your arrival, more than a "real tourist" will probably stay in the country. If you intend to settle down for longer periods, have your national license transferred to a Thai license, for goodness sake! It costs a mere 200 something Baht, you only have to pass five simple practical tests, and it's is valid for 1 year initially. It can then be renewed to a license valid for 5 years without further testing.

I was more referring to people who don't ride scooters at home, and instantly become Evil Kneivel on a rental. If your home license doesn't cover scooters there, it doesn't cover scooters here.

And if your home license doesn't cover scooters, the process to get a scooter license is a bit more time consuming.

Edited by impulse

Conversation:

"That's an expensive motor bike. Where did you get it?"

"My father bought it for me"

"How can he afford it?"

"That doesn't matter. Let's just say if he can buy this, he can buy you."

"I'd like to meet him. What's his cell phone number?"whistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif

Essence of Thainess

Another post to bring out the knockers, they're damned if they do and they're damned if they dont!!

Maybe they are afraid to support because they will get the wrath of the keyboard warriors!!

Any action thats stop these lunatic racers should be applauded not ridiculed!!

'....lunatic racers....'

Care to define exactly what you mean by this?

Presumably nothing to do with the moon?

Oh, I see #2 post did mention blue moon though:)

Edited by noodle

Conversation:

"That's an expensive motor bike. Where did you get it?"

"My father bought it for me"

"How can he afford it?"

"That doesn't matter. Let's just say if he can buy this, he can buy you."

"I'd like to meet him. What's his cell phone number?"whistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif

Ah, the Farang Fantasy Factory is really working 24/7 now. Even soap opera dialogue supplied between sips of the amber muse.

stock-footage-smoke-stacks-of-petroleum-

Expattaff1308, on 18 May 2014 - 10:49, said:

Another post to bring out the knockers, they're damned if they do and they're damned if they dont!!

Maybe they are afraid to support because they will get the wrath of the keyboard warriors!!

They get "knocked" simply because they do not do their duty often enough, I didn't think it that hard to work out...obviously it is. They will get the support only when they continually perform what they are expected to do..... and I don't mean collect "tea" money.

Expattaff1308, on 18 May 2014 - 10:49, said:

They get "knocked" simply because they do not do their duty often enough, I didn't think it that hard to work out...obviously it is. They will get the support only when they continually perform what they are expected to do..... and I don't mean collect "tea" money.

.....and here they are doing their job and they still get knocked like I said damned if they do damned if they dont!!