Which top end compact camera to buy

The title says it all, which one can you recommend?

I have my sights on the highly praised Sony RX100II (22900 at Big Camera outlets). 22MP, Carl Zeiss optic but only up to 100mm

I am also looking at the Canon Powershot G16 which is cheaper at 16900 (same shop as above) but lower MP's.

The Fujifilm X100S is just too expensive at almost 40000 baht, sadly.

I have a Fuji F70EXR which have been so so, I seldom gets really good shots from it, (but it's very versatile) so have I decided to upgrade.

I been reading as many reviews I could find on the i-net and the Sony seems to come out as the winner if image quality is the most important (it is to me).

I don't have the option to have anybody bringing one over from overseas, sadly, as cameras cost something like 25% more here than in the USA.

Any thoughts welcome.

I have to agree with you totally in your assessment of the current top-end compacts. I personally think the Fujix100S is the best of the bunch but at too high a price for a compact. Some compacts like the Ricoh GR are also exceptional but with the limitation of a fixed focal length. For my money, the best deal out there is the Sony RX100II. Sadly, living in LOS means paying a hefty premium for the hard working government bureaucrats.

Thanks for you inputs guys.

The RX 100 III is app 800 $ (in the US) so I wonder what it will be here? Not sure when it will be sold in Thailand, end of the year, next year?

I am also considering the Canon S120 to 14900 baht. I like the size 24-120 mm lens. Okay not as good as the RX100 in low light conditions, but also very positive reviews, some call it the runner up to the RX 100II, so.

Strangely enough I went to Big Camera in Central in Pattaya today and they (RX100II & S120) were both sold out!!

It will most likely be one of the 2, I will check more shops tomorrow and try getting my hands on each before I decide.

I been bidding on a used RX100II in the US on Ebay, but the bidding is already on 14000 baht (for me then comes shipping and import tax on top, so I stopped that, lol).

Forget the Canon G16 or even the G1X which is now being sold at around 17,900. If you you want the best it's a toss up between the currently available Sony RX100 II at 22,900 or the Canon G1X Mk II at 27,900.

I bought the latter as a compact for when I dont want to carry my gear around and all I can say is that the Canon is brilliant. Not cheap but brilliant.

Edited by Just Curious
  • Like 1

have you had a look at Fuji's X-Pro1 or wait a while for the new

X-Pro2 FF camera & lenses? pricy but excllent value for money

IMO.

Deffo!

Seen some great work with the X-Pro1.

have you had a look at Fuji's X-Pro1 or wait a while for the new

X-Pro2 FF camera & lenses? pricy but excllent value for money

IMO.

Deffo!

Seen some great work with the X-Pro1.

Now you really got me thinking, loads of them for sale used on E-bay, body only can be had for app. 25- 35 K baht and then comes the lenses.

One for sale in Germany for 65K baht including 4 lenses but 213 US$ import tax at current bid.

I am also hearing rumors about a new Fuji X30?

Thanks for mention these options for me, good stuff for after thoughts.

Forget the Canon G16 or even the G1X which is now being sold at around 17,900. If you you want the best it's a toss up between the currently available Sony RX100 II at 22,900 or the Canon G1X Mk II at 27,900.

I bought the latter as a compact for when I dont want to carry my gear around and all I can say is that the Canon is brilliant. Not cheap but brilliant.

Of which this site clearly have the RX 100 II as winner. They are pretty close, I guess it all comes down to personal taste but thanks for you inputs, I really appreciate it.

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-PowerShot-G1X-Mark-II-vs-Sony-Cyber-shot-RX100-II

^^^ guzzi...In the end it's gonna be your money and how much you wanna pay

for what you're gonna get. The choices here are all good. Ahhhh decisions...

decisions. Good luck and sanuk with whatever choice you make.

• Like 1

The Fuji x20 has just been discontinued. You could probably get one cheaper now.

Good call.

If the OP really wants to push the boat out a Fuji X100s is a quality bit of kit too.

The trouble with getting interchangeable lens cameras is you can develop an ailment called LBA (Lens Buying Addiction). It's like infecting you bank account with myxomatosis. Just ask Rabbit.

Edited by MJP
  • Like 1

It's only a winner because the comparison you linked uses "popularity" as it's first scoring criteria. They define "popularity" as: Snapsort tracks the popularity of each camera based on which cameras users view, compare, and shop for most often.

Seeing as the Sony 100 RX II was released early 2013, a year earlier than the Canon G1X MK II, then naturally it will have more hits on their website. Take that anomaly out of the comparison and the Canon becomes the clear winner.

The Sony Rx100 III has less focal range and is now minus the hot shoe, so never an option to add an external flash for low light situations or even an optical viewfinder.

The DP Review website says to wait for the RX IV to see if Sony correct their errors.

It's interesting to see here that no one has mentioned a Nikon product....

In the end they are only low cost compact cameras with extremely limited functions and it comes down to what the individual wants to achieve with their equipment.

Of which this site clearly have the RX 100 II as winner. They are pretty close, I guess it all comes down to personal taste but thanks for you inputs, I really appreciate it.

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-PowerShot-G1X-Mark-II-vs-Sony-Cyber-shot-RX100-II

@Just Curious: On the site I posted a link to they write: more than 10% better image quality in favor of the Sony. Weight Sony: 281g, Canon: 558g. Shots per battery charge: Sony 350. Canon 240.

The Sony is smaller/thinner it got better/wider aperture and the list goes on and on. The Sony is the clear winner, just Google around and see for yourself.

The new RX100 M3 do have a view finder but as you said no hot shoe but no concern to me as it's the mobility I want and only carry the camera in a pouch in my trouser belt.

I will very likely wait and buy the RX100 M3.

Edited by guzzi850m2

Oh Dear, i feel left out with my humble Kodak Easyshare at 5K.. Spilt me Nescafe when i read 65K. Liike the Lens Comment, reminds me of Dad with about 8 "THINGS" hanging round his neck., pestering Mom to Hold the Bag. These compacts are no trouble to carry,so perhaps wort the extra cash...biggrin.png

Well after thinking hard about my needs I went back to Big Camera in Central and tried the Olympus Stylus1 and I bought one.

I concluded that a camera with those zoom capabilities are the best for me and the RX100 just have too short zoom for my needs.

The Stylus1 with 12MP will off-course not take as good quality photos as the RX100 be it Mark 1-2or3 but no too bad as long as you stay below ISO 400-800.

The Stylus1 is a very nice piece of kit, small enough to carry in a pouch on you belt, it got view finder (a good one too) and a very good touch screen that can be tilted 90 Deg down and 45 up. It can shot RAW format if wanted and I can already fell now that I will very happy working with it which is an important part of the experience when playing photographer.

The 28-300mm range on the lens (35mm terms) is near perfect for me as I take photos of all sorts of situations but I am (not yet) so dedicated that I will spend big $ on it.

I paid 25.000 baht for itsad.png + 1600 baht for a 3 year extended warranty. This is roughly 75-150 US$ more than in the US which is not too bad.

I know from experience back in the 35mm days when I had a Canon AE1 program with 3 lenses that I could not be bothered dragging my gear around often so now I will try this Olympus Stylus1 which is small enough to bring along almost all the time.

Hi Guzzi,

personal opinion. Having access to and using both, I found the Canon to be far superior and produce much better image quality compared to any other compact I've used.

I have big hands and the Sony was too small for me.

After lugging my 1DX and lens around most days the Canon really is a "compact" and offering image quality similar to a low end DSLR.

Enjoy your Olympus!

Cheers

@Just Curious: On the site I posted a link to they write: more than 10% better image quality in favor of the Sony. Weight Sony: 281g, Canon: 558g. Shots per battery charge: Sony 350. Canon 240.

The Sony is smaller/thinner it got better/wider aperture and the list goes on and on. The Sony is the clear winner, just Google around and see for yourself.

The new RX100 M3 do have a view finder but as you said no hot shoe but no concern to me as it's the mobility I want and only carry the camera in a pouch in my trouser belt.

I will very likely wait and buy the RX100 M3.

• Like 1